Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
24-12-2014, 09:26 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(24-12-2014 07:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(24-12-2014 07:23 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Not really scared of all reptiles. The little blue tailed lizards, super cute. Had anoles and geckos as pets as a kid. Snakes are biting heads with no body, just a fucking tail, and they want to eat me. They are proof that gawd is fucking psycho.

Phobia = irrational fear. I can acknowledge it all day long, but every time I come across one of those fuckers my anal sphincter tone is tight enough to shit diamonds.

I doubt that snakes want to eat humans... well the massive ones probably do... Considering the large size difference, snakes probably act purely out of defence. This doesn't bode well for us, considering that snakes defence is their offence and humans have almost less physical defensive capacity than your average sponge regarding such types of attack, but that's beside the point...

Well, snakes aren't too bad anyway so long as you are near enough to a civilisation and are not allergic to the venom. Or know to not bother the things. Far as I'm aware most snake bites down here come from relocation attempts and people trying to kill the snakes.

As a side-note: how do you feel about legless lizards?

Legless lizards are heads with tails that want to eat me. Gasp The most common snake I come across are black racers - they get curious about the vibrations. I hate those fuckers.

Pretty sure a city with over 1.5 million people counts as civilization. This snake was sunning himself on the asphalt. (There's the problem - I wasn't trail running where I likely wouldn't have seen it and would have remained blissfully unaware).

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2014, 11:27 PM
(24-12-2014 09:26 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(24-12-2014 07:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I doubt that snakes want to eat humans... well the massive ones probably do... Considering the large size difference, snakes probably act purely out of defence. This doesn't bode well for us, considering that snakes defence is their offence and humans have almost less physical defensive capacity than your average sponge regarding such types of attack, but that's beside the point...

Well, snakes aren't too bad anyway so long as you are near enough to a civilisation and are not allergic to the venom. Or know to not bother the things. Far as I'm aware most snake bites down here come from relocation attempts and people trying to kill the snakes.

As a side-note: how do you feel about legless lizards?

Legless lizards are heads with tails that want to eat me. Gasp The most common snake I come across are black racers - they get curious about the vibrations. I hate those fuckers.

Pretty sure a city with over 1.5 million people counts as civilization. This snake was sunning himself on the asphalt. (There's the problem - I wasn't trail running where I likely wouldn't have seen it and would have remained blissfully unaware).

A. If that is the case fear every dog as large as you, as they are more common and a lot more deadly then a common racer

B. The snake is harmless and its jaw could barely stretch enough to eat half of your foot.

C. The snake is way more scared of you than you are it, I mean you are much taller and more massive. That snake probably talks about how humans scare him.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
25-12-2014, 07:13 PM
So...

My cousin, who just got out of prison for stealing a car and leading the Police on a chase across the country and being high on meth, was suppose to pick me up yesterday (jebusmas). He's suppose to be turning his life around and shit.
Well... my aunt showed up to pick me up which was a red flag and I later learned that my cousin had stolen my aunts tenants credit card (a new one came in the mail and he stole it, put a pin on it and was using it) and my aunts car. So my aunt got a trespass notice against him and when she issued it to him when he showed up home (he was staying with my aunt and my granddad (the tenant lives behind them)) he stole the car of the lady that looks after my granddad.
So now he has a warrant out for his arrest for two counts of car theft, credit card theft, breaching parole and trespassing (because he came back to steal the second car). AND it turns out that while he was in jail last time for "protection" he did favors for the Killer Beez (yea, NZ has the worst gang names ever but this is the largest youth gang in the country...) and part of that deal was he would do favors for them (selling drugs or some shit) once he got out.

So now he's somehow tied up with this aggressive youth gang with a nasty reputation AND has a warrant for his arrest. Oh and he's back on the drugs.
I think he has rather fucked the pooch on this one.

Oh well whatcha gonna do, shouldn't have done meth.

[Image: oscar.png]
25-12-2014, 07:18 PM
(25-12-2014 07:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So...

My cousin, who just got out of prison for stealing a car and leading the Police on a chase across the country and being high on meth, was suppose to pick me up yesterday (jebusmas). He's suppose to be turning his life around and shit.
Well... my aunt showed up to pick me up which was a red flag and I later learned that my cousin had stolen my aunts tenants credit card (a new one came in the mail and he stole it, put a pin on it and was using it) and my aunts car. So my aunt got a trespass notice against him and when she issued it to him when he showed up home (he was staying with my aunt and my granddad (the tenant lives behind them)) he stole the car of the lady that looks after my granddad.
So now he has a warrant out for his arrest for two counts of car theft, credit card theft, breaching parole and trespassing (because he came back to steal the second car). AND it turns out that while he was in jail last time for "protection" he did favors for the Killer Beez (yea, NZ has the worst gang names ever but this is the largest youth gang in the country...) and part of that deal was he would do favors for them (selling drugs or some shit) once he got out.

So now he's somehow tied up with this aggressive youth gang with a nasty reputation AND has a warrant for his arrest. Oh and he's back on the drugs.

Excellent use of the 'So...' introduction. Tongue
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
25-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Meth: Not even once.

Also; let this be a reminder, Muffs; don't have expectations.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-12-2014, 07:28 PM
(25-12-2014 07:18 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

Meth: Not even once.

For the record, we (the family and I) totally called this.
We said to the corrections people that he wouldn't make it in the real world living with my aunt and granddad and that he needed to be released into a rehab center.
But nope. They (the corrections department) don't give a fuck, all they see is that he had served his time (well, most of it) and that they could throw him out so they could put another young 20 year old behind bars for something that isn't solved by prison bars.

There are many different layers to corrections. Drug addiction, growing up in poverty and around gangs, lack of education etc.. many different factors and not all of them are solved by simply locking people up for 2 years.
Our (and the worlds) system of corrections is outdated and could do a much better job in a much more efficient way if we focused our resources much more effectively and put aside this notion that crime must always result in punishment.

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
25-12-2014, 07:38 PM
(25-12-2014 07:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 07:18 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Meth: Not even once.

For the record, we (the family and I) totally called this.
We said to the corrections people that he wouldn't make it in the real world living with my aunt and granddad and that he needed to be released into a rehab center.
But nope. They (the corrections department) don't give a fuck, all they see is that he had served his time (well, most of it) and that they could throw him out so they could put another young 20 year old behind bars for something that isn't solved by prison bars.

There are many different layers to corrections. Drug addiction, growing up in poverty and around gangs, lack of education etc.. many different factors and not all of them are solved by simply locking people up for 2 years.
Our (and the worlds) system of corrections is outdated and could do a much better job in a much more efficient way if we focused our resources much more effectively and put aside this notion that crime must always result in punishment.

So, you'd say you favour the Rehabilitative theory of punishment?
I find myself leaning that way meself...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-12-2014, 07:56 PM
My big gift this year...

A toaster. A fucking toaster no one even bothered to wrap.

Weeping

That said I do kinda like it. I refused to get rid of our older one, even though it really only made warm bread and took a few tries to toast/incinerate the bread.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-12-2014, 08:14 PM
(25-12-2014 07:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My big gift this year...

A toaster. A fucking toaster no one even bothered to wrap.

Weeping

That said I do kinda like it. I refused to get rid of our older one, even though it really only made warm bread and took a few tries to toast/incinerate the bread.

Does it make jeebus faces?
25-12-2014, 08:18 PM
(25-12-2014 07:38 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-12-2014 07:28 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  For the record, we (the family and I) totally called this.

So, you'd say you favour the Rehabilitative theory of punishment?
I find myself leaning that way meself...

For most crime yes.
Some crime certainly just lock them up and throw away the key (most murderers for example) but for most crime, particular petty crime, rehabilitation is by far the better option for everyone. It's cheaper too because re-offending is greatly reduced and if people are rehabilitated, educated etc.. whatever it is, they come out of prison with skills required to be a 'productive member of society'.

Criminals can be talented, hard working, have great ideas etc.. but we just lock them up when instead we should be showing them a different path.
A large part of crime is that people are pushed down that road and don't know any different.

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post