Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
05-01-2015, 07:47 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(05-01-2015 07:32 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 07:05 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Interesting.... I've never seen more than eight self-serve checkouts, and never any less... Consider

There are 2 Home Depots near me that have 4 and two different markets than have 6 each. Looks like the conspiracy is more complicated than it first seemed!
Thumbsup

It's odd number discrimination!
If you're not even you're odd! Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 08:15 AM
Maybe she was just employing the “aggressive hospitality” technique on a suspicious character Consider

"At a supermarket in Sedalia, Mo., people are stocking up for their traditional holiday dinners. Employees help customers at the store's four self-service lanes, but every so often they catch items that customers did not scan.

With a smile and a helping hand, the employees are there to make sure all of a customer's items get scanned and paid for.

"That is what we call aggressive hospitality," says Doug Haworth, who is in charge of loss prevention at Wood's Supermarkets. He says the aggressive hospitality is a tactic to reduce theft.

“At self-checkout, if the intent is to leave the store without paying for anything, what we've seen is they usually make it worth their while," he says."

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/22/167850789/...kout-theft

Self-checkout terminals eyed as possible culprit in massive retail hit (Home Depot)

http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/22/self-c...etail-hit/

Wave of the future.

http://web.mit.edu/2.744/www/Project/Ass...se/aychen/

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-01-2015, 09:31 AM
So had just finished grocery shopping and I was putting my groceries in the trunk of my car this morning when a lady who was obviously religious (possibly Pentecostal) walks by me and stops by my cart. I was wearing my husbands soccer hoodie from his private Christian school, and it has a bible verse on the back.

This lady says "I notice your shirt says Christ."

I replied, "yep..."

She says, "So few young people are like that these days...is it because you're a Christian?"

I say, "Uhhhhh, yeah." Yes

LOL I didn't want to have to blow her off when she tried to witness to me!!! Needless to say, I will only wear this hoodie at my house. Laugh out load

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 2 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
05-01-2015, 04:15 PM
The think if the last two pages are anything to go by in this thread the lesson to be learned here is to not be outside a grocery store having just completed your shopping...

[Image: oscar.png]
05-01-2015, 05:18 PM
(05-01-2015 08:15 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Maybe she was just employing the “aggressive hospitality” technique on a suspicious character Consider

"At a supermarket in Sedalia, Mo., people are stocking up for their traditional holiday dinners. Employees help customers at the store's four self-service lanes, but every so often they catch items that customers did not scan.

With a smile and a helping hand, the employees are there to make sure all of a customer's items get scanned and paid for.

"That is what we call aggressive hospitality," says Doug Haworth, who is in charge of loss prevention at Wood's Supermarkets. He says the aggressive hospitality is a tactic to reduce theft.

“At self-checkout, if the intent is to leave the store without paying for anything, what we've seen is they usually make it worth their while," he says."

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/22/167850789/...kout-theft

Self-checkout terminals eyed as possible culprit in massive retail hit (Home Depot)

http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/22/self-c...etail-hit/

Wave of the future.

http://web.mit.edu/2.744/www/Project/Ass...se/aychen/

There was no one watching the self serve check out at the store today.

I never use tho, but if I were shopping with my hubby, he'd be dragging me through there for sure.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Bitter cold, 5-7" of snow tonite. Angry
05-01-2015, 06:09 PM
(05-01-2015 06:07 PM)pablo Wrote:  Bitter cold, 5-7" of snow tonite. Angry

My sister is in Chicago - should I call her and laugh?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-01-2015, 06:13 PM
(05-01-2015 06:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 06:07 PM)pablo Wrote:  Bitter cold, 5-7" of snow tonite. Angry

My sister is in Chicago - should I call her and laugh?

I'm surprised my brother in Southern California hasn't called me yet. Go ahead, make her day. Tongue
05-01-2015, 06:16 PM
(05-01-2015 06:13 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 06:09 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My sister is in Chicago - should I call her and laugh?

I'm surprised my brother in Southern California hasn't called me yet. Go ahead, make her day. Tongue

She's used to it there. Made a lateral move from Iowa to Illinois. I am the one who started in the south and headed back after years in that cold crap. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
05-01-2015, 06:18 PM
(05-01-2015 06:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 06:13 PM)pablo Wrote:  I'm surprised my brother in Southern California hasn't called me yet. Go ahead, make her day. Tongue

She's used to it there. Made a lateral move from Iowa to Illinois. I am the one who started in the south and headed back after years in that cold crap. Tongue

I'm seriously thinking about moving back to socal.