Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
02-03-2015, 08:41 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(02-03-2015 08:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  Has anyone tried rapping on the starter while you try to start it.
This, more often than not, is what happens to starters in the winter.

Speaking of which... If you rap it and it starts, what are the odds of it doing it again? I'd hate to get a starter going, only to have it do it again.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2015, 08:58 PM
(02-03-2015 08:41 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 08:20 PM)pablo Wrote:  Has anyone tried rapping on the starter while you try to start it.
This, more often than not, is what happens to starters in the winter.

Speaking of which... If you rap it and it starts, what are the odds of it doing it again? I'd hate to get a starter going, only to have it do it again.

Most of the time it's fine after that. One the ice is broken loose the starter gear is then free to engage the flywheel. Once the car is running the engine heat helps dry the moisture in the starter.
This same moisture problem can also effct a brand new starter as well.
A lot of this has to do with where the starter is located, many FWD cars will have the starter located on the forward facing side of the engine where it's exposed to all the road crud.
So...you splash through a puddle just before you park, starter gets wet, the cars sits for several hours in freezing temps, water freezes and the starter can't turn.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
02-03-2015, 09:13 PM
(02-03-2015 08:58 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 08:41 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Speaking of which... If you rap it and it starts, what are the odds of it doing it again? I'd hate to get a starter going, only to have it do it again.

Most of the time it's fine after that.

This one's not ice, but hopefully I'll be able to do more when the weather cooperates. I'm going to get my meter out and test it when I can find the time.
02-03-2015, 10:56 PM
(02-03-2015 08:12 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  FFS....my husband's exhaust pipe fell off his truck on Saturday. We left it at a shop to be fixed, it was supposed to be done today. All I had to do was pick up my husband from work, and go get his truck. I go to leave work.... My car won't start. I think the battery might be dead. But heck I just replaced it, and it's making a funny noise when I try to start it. Luckily my brother in law works right across the street from me, and is a gear head.

He comes over, tries to jump it... No go. The starter has shit out on me. FUCK! Ok... $90 to tow it home... $300 for a new starter, my husband and brother in law can fix it no problem. They've replaced several starters over the years. Well of course since my car is newer, it's a huge labor intensive pain in the ass. They can't get it done tonight. Oh, and the shop didn't finish my husband's truck today.

We have no car. Luckily again my father in law isn't working tomorrow, so we are going to borrow his car tonight, car pool to work tomorrow, pick up his truck, take back my father in laws car, and then my husband and I will car pool for the rest of the week until they have time to do my starter this weekend.

Why is it always everything all at once?? Angry

You pissed off Jesus? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-03-2015, 11:30 PM
(02-03-2015 10:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 08:12 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  FFS....my husband's exhaust pipe fell off his truck on Saturday. We left it at a shop to be fixed, it was supposed to be done today. All I had to do was pick up my husband from work, and go get his truck. I go to leave work.... My car won't start. I think the battery might be dead. But heck I just replaced it, and it's making a funny noise when I try to start it. Luckily my brother in law works right across the street from me, and is a gear head.

He comes over, tries to jump it... No go. The starter has shit out on me. FUCK! Ok... $90 to tow it home... $300 for a new starter, my husband and brother in law can fix it no problem. They've replaced several starters over the years. Well of course since my car is newer, it's a huge labor intensive pain in the ass. They can't get it done tonight. Oh, and the shop didn't finish my husband's truck today.

We have no car. Luckily again my father in law isn't working tomorrow, so we are going to borrow his car tonight, car pool to work tomorrow, pick up his truck, take back my father in laws car, and then my husband and I will car pool for the rest of the week until they have time to do my starter this weekend.

Why is it always everything all at once?? Angry

You pissed off Jesus? Consider

Totally worth it. He had it coming, and he knew it Dodgy

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
02-03-2015, 11:37 PM
(02-03-2015 11:30 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 10:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  You pissed off Jesus? Consider

Totally worth it. He had it coming, and he knew it Dodgy

You could take out the pineapple. No one deserves that Ohmy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-03-2015, 10:17 AM
14.5 hour shift. Holy hell. I got my ass kicked last night. Thank baby Jesus this is my last shift for a week - I'll have pulled over 80 hours by the end of tonight's shift. Cath lab decided to screw me and bring both of my patients back 15 minutes apart, immediately following shift change, while we had codes, meaning I had no help and report was given to day shift and I had no idea what the fuck was going on with either one of them. I couldn't restrain the arm of the first patient due to a radial intervention, and he kept trying to pull out his ET tube while my other patient wouldn't cross over in the system and was screaming for pain meds which the PA said I'd bring him despite her not putting in any orders - hate is not a strong enough word for my feelings towards that bitch. I hope she decides to be a stay at home mom when she pops out her evil spawn. Ever met a woman that makes you say, huh, how does the guy that you bang every night not lose his dick to frostbite Huh yeh. That would be the bitch I had to take orders from last night. And I "ended" my shift with her putting in an order that required me to take my patient to radiology at fucking 0600 - his PA/lateral chest was not fucking stat. It coulda been done at 1000 when things calmed down, she just wanted to be a bitch. She ordered it at 0100 specifically for 0600. Just so you know, it's not as easy as unlocking the bed and pushing it down the hallway to transport a patient.

At least I was paired with my favorite coworkers and the ones I hate were on an opposite hall. They made me feel better about being a dumbass the other night. I shoulda done a male dominated field like engineering - men are so much easier to work with.

Tornadoes expected on Wednesday followed by ice. I might just bring my sleeping bag and pillow to the farm and sleep in the storm shelter. I'll sleep through the warnings, otherwise.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
03-03-2015, 11:05 AM
(03-03-2015 10:17 AM)Nurse Wrote:  14.5 hour shift. Holy hell.

Is that a typical shift? That's a bit frightening. After a certain point the likelihood of mistakes is gonna go way up. Hell they don't even let truck drivers go that long.

#sigh
03-03-2015, 11:16 AM
(02-03-2015 08:58 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 08:41 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Speaking of which... If you rap it and it starts, what are the odds of it doing it again? I'd hate to get a starter going, only to have it do it again.

Most of the time it's fine after that. One the ice is broken loose the starter gear is then free to engage the flywheel. Once the car is running the engine heat helps dry the moisture in the starter.
A lot of this has to do with where the starter is located, many FWD cars will have the starter located on the forward facing side of the engine where it's exposed to all the road crud.
So...you splash through a puddle just before you park, starter gets wet, the cars sits for several hours in freezing temps, water freezes and the starter can't turn.

Ice is pretty unlikely.....

99 percent of the time the reason that rapping a starter makes it work --- the brushes are not in contact with the commutator (commutator out of round) and the springs that maintain the brushes in contact with the commutator are plugged with worn carbon - and won't push the brush into contact...... Rapping it causes the brush to jump forward making contact.

Solution -- dismantle starter, clean brush holders and replace brushes.... If commutator is worn out of round it may be possible to re-cut it to concentric to the axis - providing it's not worn out of spec.

Done it hundreds of times......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
03-03-2015, 12:21 PM
(03-03-2015 11:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(02-03-2015 08:58 PM)pablo Wrote:  Most of the time it's fine after that. One the ice is broken loose the starter gear is then free to engage the flywheel. Once the car is running the engine heat helps dry the moisture in the starter.

Ice is pretty unlikely.....

99 percent of the time the reason that rapping a starter makes it work --- the brushes are not in contact with the commutator (commutator out of round) and the springs that maintain the brushes in contact with the commutator are plugged with worn carbon - and won't push the brush into contact...... Rapping it causes the brush to jump forward making contact.

Solution -- dismantle starter, clean brush holders and replace brushes.... If commutator is worn out of round it may be possible to re-cut it to concentric to the axis - providing it's not worn out of spec.

Done it hundreds of times......

I beg to differ.