Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
13-03-2015, 09:00 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(12-03-2015 10:35 PM)Nurse Wrote:  By in crowd I mean people that go...do stuff. I don't like being left out. It sucks. Aaaand I'm back to whining. Granted, I could give a rats ass about "Felicia" - that's gonna be the vag herpe girl's new name, may allah grant her anal warts. But a few of the others...

It's just...I usually get along with most people I meet. Maybe it's 'cause I haven't been much of myself the past year. Can't imagine why. Dodgy Could be all the broken vows.

Order a couple of large pizzas to be delivered to the nurse's station on your shift.

When they ask, just say it's a thank you to your teammates because you all have each other's backs.

Those that deserve it will be grateful, those who don't will be chastened. You won't be ignored.

Win-win. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
13-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Some people have all the luck Dodgy

A friend was looking for a tea service. She's into that kind of thing, so she bid on one she found on eBay. It was advertised as a Georgian replica in stainless steel. It had a butlers tray and little spoons, bowl for lemons, thing for honey, sugar, creamer...blah blah.

She paid $40 and was the only bidder.

It arrived. It's fucking sterling silver, stamped and shit. It's old and not a replica. The handle is a bit worn, so she found a silversmith.

He told her its worth thousands and probably should be in a museum -- even tho the handle is worn. He won't touch it. Referred her to antique dealer who just about cried when he saw it. It's a complete set. He's never found one like it. He's always seen the sets broken up.

Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-03-2015, 12:07 PM
(13-03-2015 11:56 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Some people have all the luck Dodgy

A friend was looking for a tea service. She's into that kind of thing, so she bid on one she found on eBay. It was advertised as a Georgian replica in stainless steel. It had a butlers tray and little spoons, bowl for lemons, thing for honey, sugar, creamer...blah blah.

It arrived. It's fucking sterling silver, stamped and shit. It's old and not a replica. The handle is a bit worn, so she found a silversmith.

He told her its worth thousands and probably should be in a museum -- even tho the handle is worn. He won't touch it. Referred her to antique dealer who just about cried when he saw it. It's a complete set. He's never found one like it. He's always seen the sets broken up.

Facepalm

This is why I have a hard time watching Antiques Roadshow.
I see some joker with a piece that they got for $5 at a garage sale that's worth ten grand.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
13-03-2015, 12:21 PM
(13-03-2015 11:56 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Some people have all the luck Dodgy

Facepalm

Thats kind of uncool. Consider
The seller didn't know what was going on (child or elderly with dementia?) or ... figured it was stolen and may as well quietly get rid of it.

If that expert person is correct and it should be in a museum then, that's where it should be. Bit of a headache to keep something like that around. How much insurance can your friend afford?

"Luck" is often a relative and long range term. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
13-03-2015, 12:53 PM
(13-03-2015 12:07 PM)pablo Wrote:  

Facepalm

This is why I have a hard time watching Antiques Roadshow.
I see some joker with a piece that they got for $5 at a garage sale that's worth ten grand.

Exactly why I just can't watch it! I've got a couple older peices of furniture that I just love, but are pretty much worthless (except to me).

(13-03-2015 12:21 PM)kim Wrote:  Thats kind of uncool. Consider
The seller didn't know what was going on (child or elderly with dementia?) or ... figured it was stolen and may as well quietly get rid of it.

If that expert person is correct and it should be in a museum then, that's where it should be. Bit of a headache to keep something like that around. How much insurance can your friend afford?

Good point, you actually made me feel better. Honestly I don't know what the seller was thinking, except they might have just made a terrible assumption it couldn't be real. The antique dealer didn't think it was stolen, at least not recently (the set was too complete). Who knows? Spoils of war? Too bad it can't talk, probably had a great story.

She was just looking for something that she couid use and would be fun. No clue what she'll do with it.

13-03-2015, 01:01 PM
(13-03-2015 12:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 12:07 PM)pablo Wrote:  This is why I have a hard time watching Antiques Roadshow.

Exactly why I just can't watch it! I've got a couple older peices of furniture that I just love, but are pretty much worthless (except to me).

(13-03-2015 12:21 PM)kim Wrote:  Thats kind of uncool. Consider

Good point, you actually made me feel better. Honestly I don't know what the seller was thinking, except they might have just made a terrible assumption it couldn't be real. The antique dealer didn't think it was stolen, at least not recently (the set was too complete). Who knows? Spoils of war? Too bad it can't talk, probably had a great story.

She was just looking for something that she couid use and would be fun. No clue what she'll do with it.

If I had to guess I'd say it came from an estate.
Someone who had nice things died, and one of their offspring was looking to make some quick cash.
They probably assumed it was just cheap junk, never had it looked at by a pro, and threw it up on some online auction to the highest bidder.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
13-03-2015, 02:13 PM
(13-03-2015 01:01 PM)pablo Wrote:  If I had to guess I'd say it came from an estate.
Someone who had nice things died, and one of their offspring was looking to make some quick cash.
They probably assumed it was just cheap junk, never had it looked at by a pro, and threw it up on some online auction to the highest bidder.

I kind of think that, too. Consider However, if I were one of the moronic offspring, I think I'd be doing my research before I start pitching granny's crap on ebay. That's just foolish!
For that very reason, I'm kind of relieved that my mom is a bit of a dunce when it comes to priceless family heirlooms. She's a bit of a pack rat but only manages to collect dime store crap. Any value is really sentimental.

My dad, on the other hand ... UGH! ... we're still finding some seriously valuable coins he'd stashed away - he was absolutely aware of their value. Also, for a while after he died, we had a hell of a time keeping up with taxes that would spring up when some random investment matured. I think it put some stress on my mom because she didn't know how to handle anything about that stuff.

Pop was a handful ... even after he died. Big Grin

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
13-03-2015, 02:49 PM
(13-03-2015 02:13 PM)kim Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 01:01 PM)pablo Wrote:  If I had to guess I'd say it came from an estate.

I kind of think that, too. Consider However, if I were one of the moronic offspring, I think I'd be doing my research before I start pitching granny's crap on ebay. That's just foolish!
For that very reason, I'm kind of relieved that my mom is a bit of a dunce when it comes to priceless family heirlooms. She's a bit of a pack rat but only manages to collect dime store crap. Any value is really sentimental.

My dad, on the other hand ... UGH! ... we're still finding some seriously valuable coins he'd stashed away - he was absolutely aware of their value. Also, for a while after he died, we had a hell of a time keeping up with taxes that would spring up when some random investment matured. I think it put some stress on my mom because she didn't know how to handle anything about that stuff.

Pop was a handful ... even after he died. Big Grin

We sincerely suffered some serious box burnout when hubby's grandmother passed away. She had sooooo much stuff. I shudder to think what we might have tossed out.

Now, my grandmother had all crappy stuff she always thought would be worth something someday. Facepalm

Seriously I paid people to cart her "valuables" away.

She had 12 sets of sheets still in the plastic package she bought at Macy's in the 1960s. A find, right? Nope, they were ugly and they'd been creased so long, they ripped when you tried to open the package. I tried to tell her when she was alive to get rid of stuff, but she assigned a dollar amount to everything she owned. She paid good money for whatever so it will be worth 4x that in 25 years. Facepalm

That said I do have her mother's gold tea set and water pitcher.

Now, my mother in law is more pragmatic. She had her wedding china, but since you can still buy it today, it's basically not worth a lot. We went to dinner at friend's house and was surprised to see those same dishes.

I remember I remarked to her that my mother in law has a set of those dishes, all the serving peices, glasses everything (a few things she had double of). She never used them.

She said, "if she ever wants to sell them."

I told my mother in law and after she realized she wouldn't finance a trip around the world on them, she asked for my friend's number.

My friend bought the whole thing for little over $1000 and uses them for special occasions and just LOVES them. There is one small peice my mother in law refused to sell, a bud vase father in law bought her to complete her set. She also kept four sherbet glasses (she had 16).

So, she said when she dies, I'm to give those to my friend. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-03-2015, 03:08 PM
(13-03-2015 02:49 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We sincerely suffered some serious box burnout when hubby's grandmother passed away. She had sooooo much stuff. I shudder to think what we might have tossed out.
---

Oh man ... my brother and I spend at least 20 minutes discussing this very thing and what will happen when all these old people around us die!! Then, we spend the next 2 hours laughing about all the hilarious crap they do. Blink

I think we've realized the only "treasure" about these old farts is just being around them while they're alive. Tongue

[+] 4 users Like kim's post
13-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Shit shit shit

I've been to the store twice this week and target once.

Now I realize I'm out of aaa batteries. Fml.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post