Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
20-03-2015, 11:54 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(20-03-2015 11:51 PM)Nurse Wrote:  For fucks sake. How can you get to be a college grad and have never heard of Socrates? It's not So-crates. This isn't a southerner, either; she's from Connecticut or Pennsylvania or one of those other northern states.

I don't know why this irritates me, but it does.

'So-crates' sounds like a decent name for a crate-based company...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2015, 11:58 PM
(20-03-2015 11:27 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-03-2015 11:11 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's the whole district. There were 14 kids each from the 10 elementary schools in town and it was held at one of the high schools. Also bringing people in was a display of art done by kids from kindergarten through high school including my granddaughter and my bonus granddaughter.

Taking on one school might not be so bad but taking on the whole district is a whole other thing. Confused

You'd have to attend a district meeting, file a complaint with the superintendent. Then get painted as the evil atheist persecuting them. Dodgy You're the one who had sit there and listen to hymns but their rights will be trounced upon. Facepalm

I think that's why making Aaron Ra aware might be a good idea Yes could be if he was the go-between for a group like FFRF, they'd be all over it.
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
21-03-2015, 03:39 AM
I've been working most of the day on an assignment I have due in two days and for the life of me I can't get anywhere!
I'm supposed to be generating ultimate-level hypotheses regarding the adaptive function for different bird calls and generating predictions and damn if I can think of anything.
Closest thing I've got so far is a tentative 'this call is used for territory defence' sort of hypothesis, which I'm not even sure of given that the only data I'm working with is that the birds which most often used the supposed 'defence song' did not find a mate, despite using the other two calls in the same proportion as the males which found a mate, and so probably scarred away or otherwise put off females.

Why do I get the feeling that by any reasonably standard, this would be trivial, non-problematic stuff to do?

And I am very damn tired, which makes me wonder why since all I did today was stare at a computur monitor desperately trying to complete this one damn assignment.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-03-2015, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 21-03-2015 05:00 AM by Hobbitgirl.)
Taking hobbit to her grandma's today for an ostara celebration.

This is the one holiday I struggle with (ostara/easter)

Most of the other big religious holidays can be made secular fairly easily to explain and enjoy with a child, but not this one. Honestly I'd prefer not to celebrate it at all, but that wouldn't fly with grandma.

Sigh.

*edit* also should add grandma suggested just telling her it's celebrating spring...but how do chocolate eggs and stories of goddesses and bunnies fit in?
21-03-2015, 05:49 AM
(21-03-2015 04:56 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Taking hobbit to her grandma's today for an ostara celebration.

Most of the other big religious holidays can be made secular fairly easily to explain and enjoy with a child, but not this one. Honestly I'd prefer not to celebrate it at all, but that wouldn't fly with grandma.

Sigh.

*edit* also should add grandma suggested just telling her it's celebrating spring...but how do chocolate eggs and stories of goddesses and bunnies fit in?

Um, little hobbittess is only six months old, so this really isn't a problem yet, is it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-03-2015, 06:06 AM
(21-03-2015 05:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-03-2015 04:56 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Taking hobbit to her grandma's today for an ostara celebration.

Sigh.

Um, little hobbittess is only six months old, so this really isn't a problem yet, is it.

Gotta start the brainwashing-with-critical-thinking-skills early. Get 'em while they're young Yes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-03-2015, 06:18 AM
Daughter has to go to school today for a "cram session" for the state of Texas' idiotic standardized tests, so we have to be up early. My alarm is *just* about to go off at 7:00 and the front door opens. It's my brother, up early for who the fuck knows what reason. And who's up ten seconds later? My dad. So now guess who's lying in the bed waiting for the two bathrooms in this house to be free so I can get ready? Me. Angry

What is up with the fucking men in this house that they are up at 7:00 on a goddamned weekend? When they don't have to be? They must have to go rope a fucking cow or something. Facepalm

Stupid fucking cowboys up at the ass-crack of dawn. Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
21-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Ah! Spring in New England.

[Image: spring 2015.jpg]

Yes, it's snowing. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-03-2015, 07:55 AM
(21-03-2015 07:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  Ah! Spring in New England.

[Image: spring 2015.jpg]

Yes, it's snowing. Dodgy

Still raining here - anyone have plans for an ark? I have a feeling we are going to need one. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
21-03-2015, 09:07 AM
(21-03-2015 05:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Sigh.

I like to plan ahead. It doesn't matter this moment but it will eventually.