Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
08-04-2015, 11:30 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Heh - I didn't see other folks recommending Raising Cane's also until after I posted my reply. Blush Really, the best chicken around here is at the chicken shack up the street. But it's a local hole-in-the-wall. So, not a chain. Shy

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 01:23 AM
(08-04-2015 11:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 03:47 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I failed two math tests in the most maximal way possible: out of two tests of 10 questions I got only I 1 right.

Didja study?

Dodgy yes, I did, thank you very much.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-04-2015, 02:11 AM
(09-04-2015 01:23 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 11:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  Didja study?

Dodgy yes, I did, thank you very much.

Didja feel like you understood the material? If it was just a case of not having studied then it'd be an easy fix... What I'm trying to get at is... why do you think you failed? If you'd had more time or better tuition, you think you coulda passed? Do you freeze up in exams/tests? I had a mate who was super bright but nearly flunked several exams 'cos he got stressed.

Were the questions fair questions? I had a couple of courses at uni where the lecturers would set the exams before the teaching began and leave us with 2 weeks to cover half the material at the end of the semester, or something ridiculous like that. Those kinda tests you don't feel bad about when you fail 'cos it's just the lecturer being an ass...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
09-04-2015, 06:01 AM
(09-04-2015 02:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 01:23 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Dodgy yes, I did, thank you very much.

Didja feel like you understood the material? If it was just a case of not having studied then it'd be an easy fix... What I'm trying to get at is... why do you think you failed? If you'd had more time or better tuition, you think you coulda passed? Do you freeze up in exams/tests? I had a mate who was super bright but nearly flunked several exams 'cos he got stressed.

Were the questions fair questions? I had a couple of courses at uni where the lecturers would set the exams before the teaching began and leave us with 2 weeks to cover half the material at the end of the semester, or something ridiculous like that. Those kinda tests you don't feel bad about when you fail 'cos it's just the lecturer being an ass...

It depends on how you mean whether I understood the material. Do I understand that in order to convert a mixed number to an improper fraction I need to take the whole, multiply it by the denominator then add the numerator? Yes, I understand it, but that doesn't remotely mean I'll get anything using it right, because I can't manage to do it in my head. That of course gets works when simplifying and cancelling get involved, there I don't have any idea of that's going on. I understand how to go about finding an equivalent fraction, but it takes me too long in my head to come up with possible answers because unlike many, I have to run through every option one by one and bit by bit, adding constantly until I get to the possible numbers needed.

I don't think I would have done better had I more time because my approaches were fundamentally flawed, despite known what I'm supposed to have been doing and extra tuition certainly wouldn't have helped since this all relies on having a brain capable of feats above '2 +2 =... uhh... 4?' or '4x12? Let's see... 4 +4 8 8+4 12+4, 16+4... etc.' and I don't think a tutor, not matter how good, can tute that basic functionality in.

Were I thought the questions were fair... They didn't contain ambiguous nonsense in them if that's what you're asking. Besides, it is far easier for me to just assume error on my part than a professor being a dick. I've got a good number of years of screwing up, so I've ample sample-set demonstrating the oft occurrence.

Not entirely related: near the end of the day I got hit by what seems to be a throat infection like a truck. Not I feel bad and need to constantly drink and feel bad... Fantuckingfastic.
In better news, I did get a replacement laptop until I (hopefully) get my PC working again.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
09-04-2015, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2015 07:54 AM by Nurse.)
(09-04-2015 06:01 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  It depends on how you mean whether I understood the material. Do I understand that in order to convert a mixed number to an improper fraction I need to take the whole, multiply it by the denominator then add the numerator? Yes, I understand it, but that doesn't remotely mean I'll get anything using it right, because I can't manage to do it in my head. That of course gets works when simplifying and cancelling get involved, there I don't have any idea of that's going on. I understand how to go about finding an equivalent fraction, but it takes me too long in my head to come up with possible answers because unlike many, I have to run through every option one by one and bit by bit, adding constantly until I get to the possible numbers needed.

I don't think I would have done better had I more time because my approaches were fundamentally flawed, despite known what I'm supposed to have been doing and extra tuition certainly wouldn't have helped since this all relies on having a brain capable of feats above '2 +2 =... uhh... 4?' or '4x12? Let's see... 4 +4 8 8+4 12+4, 16+4... etc.' and I don't think a tutor, not matter how good, can tute that basic functionality in.

Not entirely related: near the end of the day I got hit by what seems to be a throat infection like a truck. Not I feel bad and need to constantly drink and feel bad... Fantuckingfastic.

There's something else missing here... You do need a tutor. They can help you find the disconnect. And I don't understand why you're trying to work it out in your head? I don't trust working complex numbers in my head for tests, nor for calculating doses at work.

I can't do 3 6/17 x + 7 34/43 y = 47 or something similar in my head either, but you shouldn't need a calculator to figure it out. A lot of times sitting down one on one with someone is really helpful - they watch you solve the problem and see where you miss steps/ make errors/ get hung up. I usually start with a suuuuper simple version but have the person work it out even if they can do it in their head so a. I can see the thought process and b. help them get the flow of how to work it when you just add bigger numbers. 3 1/2 x + 1 2/3 y = 6 looks a lot less messy but is worked exactly the same as the one above.

*Shoot the prof an email or better yet go during office hours for face time (this works to your benefit at the end of the semester if there is a little wiggle room for extra credit or a borderline final average) and ask for some recommendations.*

Heart Feel better soon! Blink Gotta stay away from those girls gone wild. Laugh out load

We had a mono outbreak my sophomore year of college. Being in an exclusive relationship, staying outta my dorm by shacking up at his place, and refusing to share drinks with my roomies or his spared me from that one. Tongue

Man I miss college, good times.

Edited to remove random winkie emoticon.
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
09-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Life is confusing. Still trying to figure out if it makes more sense if everyone is real or just me. Neither make sense.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2015, 07:56 AM
FT, khanacademy.org is your friend.

For a start, you can learn your times tables. When I get given 47 x 63 I sure as hell don't just pop the answer out, but I do know my times tables up to 12 by heart, and you'd be surprised how far that gets you. That and judicious application of the fact that (a + b) x c = a x c + b x c.

For example 47 x 63 = (40 + 7) x (60 + 3).

Division is similar. It's worth learning how to do these things on paper by hand - it's no shame to use paper either, human brain is not that evolved to do all this by memory, at least for most people.

IMO is good to learn to do without a calculator though, 'cos forces you to understand what you are doing to some degree... rather than just push buttons.

Khanacademy has all kindsa exercises to help you with these kind of basic arithmetic things, and more advanced maths concepts too. Give it a try Wink

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
09-04-2015, 07:59 AM
(09-04-2015 07:47 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Life is confusing. Still trying to figure out if it makes more sense if everyone is real or just me. Neither make sense.

or c) Everyone is real except you. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-04-2015, 08:05 AM
(09-04-2015 07:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 07:47 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Life is confusing. Still trying to figure out if it makes more sense if everyone is real or just me. Neither make sense.
or c) Everyone is real except you. Consider

Fuck! Yeah, that makes more sense.

I'm actually considering a fourth option too, "I" am everyone and everything. "I" am the observer of all emergent processes, each observation independent from the others. I'm either experiencing them all at once and filtering them, or I'm flitting between them all in rotation.

To borrow from Douglas Adams, this observer doesn't really exist, but is the sum total of everything it would be if it did.

It's the best way I can account for things at the moment. Sadly, it sounds absolutely insane even to me.

Blast!

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
09-04-2015, 08:12 AM
(09-04-2015 08:05 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 07:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  or c) Everyone is real except you. Consider

Fuck! Yeah, that makes more sense.

I'm actually considering a fourth option too, "I" am everyone and everything. "I" am the observer of all emergent processes, each observation independent from the others. I'm either experiencing them all at once and filtering them, or I'm flitting between them all in rotation.

To borrow from Douglas Adams, this observer doesn't really exist, but is the sum total of everything it would be if it did.

It's the best way I can account for things at the moment. Sadly, it sounds absolutely insane even to me.

Blast!

Margaritas and queso dip and you'll feel loads better. Nothing like a good time at a Mexican restaurant to chill out the weary soul.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman