Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
05-06-2015, 04:43 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(05-06-2015 04:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 10:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  'Rural' is not pronounced 'rool' or 'ruhl'. Angry

It has two r's and two syllables. This was on NPR, for fuck's sake. Facepalm

Going the other way, I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce 'realtor' correctly. Everyone wants to put an extra syllable between the 'l' and the 't' -- 'real-a-tor'. It makes me cringe every time I hear it.

The worst is when realtors themselves mispronounce it. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
05-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Jewlery - that drives me nuts.

It's jewelry. Facepalm

Small pet peeve, perhaps because of my dad's profession.

It's not vetternarian. It's veterinarian.

And FFS - you don't have your pet spaded. They get spayed. Hopefully anyway - getting spaded doesn't sound like a good thing.

Here is how to use the word - The veterinarian is going to spay my dog. After that, my dog will have been spayed.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-06-2015, 04:48 PM
(05-06-2015 04:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 04:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Going the other way, I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce 'realtor' correctly. Everyone wants to put an extra syllable between the 'l' and the 't' -- 'real-a-tor'. It makes me cringe every time I hear it.

When someone (usually a politician) pronounces nuclear 'nuke u lar'.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
05-06-2015, 04:59 PM
I'm originally from Boston and I love the Boston accent. Words that end in er/or are pronounced ah. Words that end in a are pronounced with an er. So harbor would be harbah, but Donna would be Donner. The er at the end of a's as in the case of Donna/Donner always kinda bugged me.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
05-06-2015, 05:00 PM
(05-06-2015 04:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  New OS update on my phone, now half my shit doesn't work!
Godammit!

Tell me about it. A handful of updates ago, the touchscreen on my Microsoft Surface stopped working. Sad I kept hoping that another update would remedy the situation (because it was working fine before that fatal update) but alas. Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
05-06-2015, 05:01 PM
(05-06-2015 04:59 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm originally from Boston and I love the Boston accent. Words that end in er/or are pronounced ah. Words that end in a are pronounced with an er. So harbor would be harbah, but Donna would be Donner. The er at the end of a's as in the case of Donna/Donner always kinda bugged me.

That's hahbah. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-06-2015, 05:14 PM
(05-06-2015 04:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  New OS update on my phone, now half my shit doesn't work!
Godammit!

Guess your smartphone ain't that smart anymore.
[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
05-06-2015, 05:26 PM
(05-06-2015 05:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 04:59 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I'm originally from Boston and I love the Boston accent. Words that end in er/or are pronounced ah. Words that end in a are pronounced with an er. So harbor would be harbah, but Donna would be Donner. The er at the end of a's as in the case of Donna/Donner always kinda bugged me.

That's hahbah. Yes

Right lol--I had to auto correct it several times on my phone. I must not have corrected the first ar. They need Bostonese on cell phones!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
05-06-2015, 05:42 PM
(05-06-2015 04:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 04:34 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Going the other way, I don't think I've ever heard anyone pronounce 'realtor' correctly. Everyone wants to put an extra syllable between the 'l' and the 't' -- 'real-a-tor'. It makes me cringe every time I hear it.

Or real estate agents who use it, when it's a trademark of NAR and can only be used legally by its members. Ugh.
06-06-2015, 05:04 AM
Meshuggah. The band that makes you feel like "Fuck, I should have played guitar instead".

The rules are:
If there's room for it, play ghost notes on the snare. If you don't, you suck.

If you're playing with only one foot, stop being lazy and put your left foot on the high-hat pedal. You must play a different time signature with it. If you don't, you suck.

You MUST have more than one high-hat stand. Crossing your hands is unprofessional if you're looking to hit your MUST HAVE splash cymbals (see Rational Gaze). If you don't, you really suck.

If your jamming isn't polyrythmic, back the drawing board, asshole. If you don't, go kill yourself.

Bitch, where are your crash cymbals? You can't hope to play anything decent unless you have like 5 of them. If you don't have them, use your head as a crash and kill yourself.

No matter how good you get, always remember: you'll never be as good as Haake. If you do, Haake will kill you.

This is the daily pressure Tomas Haake's drumming has on me.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post