Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
16-06-2015, 05:00 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(16-06-2015 04:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  That's it, I'm fucking done. I've had enough of this FUCKING BULLSHIT!
So yesterday (yes this is gonna be about work, when is it never?) I was up in one of my managers offices sorting out some pay shit, nothing major just a minor issue easily sorted. Anyway, while we were talking about my pay I brought up the issue of working till 1:20, 1:30, 1:15 etc.. and not getting paid for that overtime. He explains that I WONT be getting paid for that overtime because my whore of a team leader hasn't put down that we finished at those times but rather 1am (when we're suppose to finish but I can't remember the last time we finished on time soo..). He basically said if it's her fault she has to put it down that we worked overtime and we'll get paid for it but if she feels it is our (the team's) fault due to laziness or whatever than she doesn't put it down. If she's putting down that we're working overtime too often she get's in shit because the company can't afford to keep paying us all overtime (they have budgets and shit). SO basically what he's telling me is that my team leader is telling management that me and the rest of the nightfill team are slacking off. I find this very very fucking offensive because we bust our asses for that bitch, even though she doesn't deserve it. It's HER fault we're late, HER FAULT. She has extremely poor time management skills. It's her phoning me and my sup downstairs while we're halfway through rubbish at 10 to 1 "ohhh once you've finished that can you jump on the sweep please...?" That's not our fault we're then out of there at 1:20 because we had to do the fucking sweep it's hers for extremely poor management skills.!!!

So I've had enough. 1) Not getting paid and 2) Our team leader calling our team lazy. I'm not on security tonight I'm on nightfil which means I'll be at the team meeting. I'm bringing this up because I'm not working after 1am if I'm not being paid for it, it's really that simple. Occasionally working till like 1:10am, fine, I don't mind running a little late, but constantly every night because of HER poor time management skills? Nah, fuck that bitch.

"Before we get into it I just wanna bring up the issue of working after 1am. I was talking to <managers name> yesterday about this and he told me that we wont be getting paid for working after 1am because you (my team leader) haven't been putting that we've been working late. He basically said you have to put it that we've worked after 1am if it's your fault and you haven't because you think we've been slacking off. I find that incredibly offensive that would think the team is slacking off. Are we perfect? of course not, we're humans we're not robots and I would appreciate being treated as such. We're not late out of here, sometimes up to half an hour, because the team is slacking, we're late out of here because of YOUR poor time management skills. I'm talking phoning me and <my supervisor> up at 10 to 1 to do sweep when we're half way through rubbish. It's pulling pallets out to be worked at 12:30 or 1:05 like the other night when you pulled the TV pallet for me to work. Yes it takes 5minutes, but that doesn't mean you can leave it till 1:05. Our time is valuable to us, all of us, and we wont to be out of here on time. Some of us have families we want to get back too, some of us need to be up early, some of us have rides waiting for us at 1am outside. We don't get paid to work after 1am and as such I'm no longer working after 1am."

Or something like that.

I got a little mad reading that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
16-06-2015, 05:09 PM
(16-06-2015 05:00 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-06-2015 04:26 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  That's it, I'm fucking done. I've had enough of this FUCKING BULLSHIT!
So yesterday (yes this is gonna be about work, when is it never?) I was up in one of my managers offices sorting out some pay shit, nothing major just a minor issue easily sorted. Anyway, while we were talking about my pay I brought up the issue of working till 1:20, 1:30, 1:15 etc.. and not getting paid for that overtime. He explains that I WONT be getting paid for that overtime because my whore of a team leader hasn't put down that we finished at those times but rather 1am (when we're suppose to finish but I can't remember the last time we finished on time soo..). He basically said if it's her fault she has to put it down that we worked overtime and we'll get paid for it but if she feels it is our (the team's) fault due to laziness or whatever than she doesn't put it down. If she's putting down that we're working overtime too often she get's in shit because the company can't afford to keep paying us all overtime (they have budgets and shit). SO basically what he's telling me is that my team leader is telling management that me and the rest of the nightfill team are slacking off. I find this very very fucking offensive because we bust our asses for that bitch, even though she doesn't deserve it. It's HER fault we're late, HER FAULT. She has extremely poor time management skills. It's her phoning me and my sup downstairs while we're halfway through rubbish at 10 to 1 "ohhh once you've finished that can you jump on the sweep please...?" That's not our fault we're then out of there at 1:20 because we had to do the fucking sweep it's hers for extremely poor management skills.!!!

So I've had enough. 1) Not getting paid and 2) Our team leader calling our team lazy. I'm not on security tonight I'm on nightfil which means I'll be at the team meeting. I'm bringing this up because I'm not working after 1am if I'm not being paid for it, it's really that simple. Occasionally working till like 1:10am, fine, I don't mind running a little late, but constantly every night because of HER poor time management skills? Nah, fuck that bitch.

"Before we get into it I just wanna bring up the issue of working after 1am. I was talking to <managers name> yesterday about this and he told me that we wont be getting paid for working after 1am because you (my team leader) haven't been putting that we've been working late. He basically said you have to put it that we've worked after 1am if it's your fault and you haven't because you think we've been slacking off. I find that incredibly offensive that would think the team is slacking off. Are we perfect? of course not, we're humans we're not robots and I would appreciate being treated as such. We're not late out of here, sometimes up to half an hour, because the team is slacking, we're late out of here because of YOUR poor time management skills. I'm talking phoning me and <my supervisor> up at 10 to 1 to do sweep when we're half way through rubbish. It's pulling pallets out to be worked at 12:30 or 1:05 like the other night when you pulled the TV pallet for me to work. Yes it takes 5minutes, but that doesn't mean you can leave it till 1:05. Our time is valuable to us, all of us, and we wont to be out of here on time. Some of us have families we want to get back too, some of us need to be up early, some of us have rides waiting for us at 1am outside. We don't get paid to work after 1am and as such I'm no longer working after 1am."

Or something like that.

I got a little mad reading that.

Yip.
It's gonna keep happening if everybody continues to keep their mouths shut, something needs to be said. I refuse to be pushed over and stepped on for that bitch.
16-06-2015, 05:18 PM
(16-06-2015 05:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(16-06-2015 05:00 PM)pablo Wrote:  I got a little mad reading that.

Yip.
It's gonna keep happening if everybody continues to keep their mouths shut, something needs to be said. I refuse to be pushed over and stepped on for that bitch.

Ask them if they wouldn't mind paying you for 30 minutes before you come to work. Maybe that will jar something loose.
16-06-2015, 05:24 PM
(16-06-2015 05:18 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-06-2015 05:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yip.

Ask them if they wouldn't mind paying you for 30 minutes before you come to work. Maybe that will jar something loose.

Well.. she does page over the intercom system at 5 to 5 (we start at 5) "all nightfil to the stockroom please" which irritates the shit out of me. I start at 5, not 4:55, not 4:59, 5!!!!

And yea, I am on time, even early, every day. I get there around 4:25-45.

I shall add it to the speech/rant.
16-06-2015, 05:25 PM
Is this the only manager who expects people to work for no pay?

Seems that wouldn't fly here with the labor laws in the US.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-06-2015, 06:59 PM
(16-06-2015 05:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Is this the only manager who expects people to work for no pay?

Seems that wouldn't fly here with the labor laws in the US.

She's not a manager she's a team leader. Basically there are three managers and a team leader. There's a head manager, he's in charge of the whole store. The other two have admin roles (rosters, payroll etc..) and are in charge of a department each. One is in charge of day shift, the other is in charge of security staff and checkout staff. And than my nightfil team leader is in charge of night shift staff. So she's not really a manager because she has no admin responsibilities. The top manager is charge of everyone and than the other two and my team leader are all equal but trump eachother in regards to their department. Below them are the supervisors. 2 day shift ones and 2 nightfill ones. They're in charge when there's no manager/team leader. Such as Friday and Saturday night when my team leader has her days off. But only of the department they're a super for.
Below them are everyone else which is team members/checkout operators etc.. and special roles like promo and stockroom etc..

The top dog manager is pretty much only concerned with making budget. He's under pressure from head office so even if he knows we work overtime and my team leader is putting it down that we don't, he wont do anything to change that because hey, free work. He's alright though. The manager in charge of day shift I don't really have anything to do with but let's just say that at 5pm (when we start) all day shift are out the door so... The manager in charge of security/checkout is a good cunt. He's pretty neutral but if anything he would pro-us. If he was in charge we would be out on time, he knows the rules and follows them fairly.

It's down to our team leader. She needs to manage her time better. If people are slacking off it's her responsibility to get them back to work. She's suppose to be defending us against the top dog manager when we're getting too much work for us to handle, not throwing us under a bus and making us work an extra half an hour without pay.
16-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Boom, found it.
Minimum Wage Act 1983
Section 6.

Payment of minimum wages
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in any enactment, award, collective agreement, determination, or contract of service, but subject to sections 7 to 9, every worker who belongs to a class of workers in respect of whom a minimum rate of wages has been prescribed under this Act, shall be entitled to receive from his employer payment for his work at not less than that minimum rate.

I'm not on minimum wage but I'm an employee so this act applies to me.
Basically it's saying they can't pay me less than minimum wage for work I have done which they are doing because they're not paying me anything for time after 1am.

It does say that my employment contract trumps this section however, nowhere in my employment agreement does it say that I am to work for free. In fact my employment agreement states that any hours worked above the agreed amount (in this case 5-1) they need my permission AND they have to pay me time and a half.
16-06-2015, 09:32 PM
I just made funny diarrhea sounds with my mouth. This pleased me.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
16-06-2015, 11:06 PM
(16-06-2015 09:32 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I just made funny diarrhea sounds with my mouth. This pleased me.

Don't forget to wipe. Tongue
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
16-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Problem is that management have incentivised her to say that you guys finish at 1 am every day - as you said, she gets in shit if you finish late and it's her fault. She's passing the buck. If you bring it up to her be prepared for fallout - she might try to pin *all* the blame on you and get you fired rather than face the music herself.

If you have documentation or e.g. days you finished late, bring copies of it, chat to the rest of your team beforehand and tell them your plan, try get them to commit to backing you up. One employee getting fired won't make the management feel pain, and can be dismissed by PR if (s)he tries to make a stink elsewhere (e.g. press, complaints commission) but an entire team complaining and threatening to publicise the shitty way they treat employees can't be ignored.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post