Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
17-06-2015, 04:31 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(16-06-2015 11:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  Problem is that management have incentivised her to say that you guys finish at 1 am every day - as you said, she gets in shit if you finish late and it's her fault. She's passing the buck. If you bring it up to her be prepared for fallout - she might try to pin *all* the blame on you and get you fired rather than face the music herself.
We have a saying:
"Shit rolls downhill."

Cover yourself, Muffs, before you start raising too much stink. People go to great lengths to cover their own ass, especially when we're talking about a person's primary source of income. I wouldn't hesitate to find a way to get you fired if I thought you were threatening me - I've got not just myself but a son to feed and bills to pay.

My last employer did write-ups over stupid shit - such as not charting a lot number for a urine pregnancy test (there were days I did thirty or more - ya really think I'm going to go back and complete my chart on the toothache that got discharged when I had to go run to a Level I Trauma with a dead mom and hopefully still living fetus...). They didn't really give a damn that I didn't complete the lot number, they wanted documentation that I was a careless employee if they ever wanted to fire me. We never got lunch and didn't get paid for that time - very much illegal - any of my coworkers that tried to raise hell over it got fired. I got the message loud and clear when I started getting written up after requesting my 30 minutes, and a lovely email saying it was my own responsibility to ensure I get lunch (right...in one of the top ten busiest EDs in the nation? Fuck you - it might be 8 hours into my shift before having an opportunity to use the restroom, much less eat).

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
17-06-2015, 05:26 AM
Thinking about it, she *should* get in shit if you regularly finish late. She can't then pretend that it's an incompetent employee - if it *is* an incompetent employee then it's her job to address that issue. Regular late close means she's not doing her job. If regular late close is brought on by management giving you too much shit to do it's still her job to tell them that, so she's *still* not doing her job.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-06-2015, 05:31 AM
(17-06-2015 04:31 AM)Nurse Wrote:  They didn't really give a damn that I didn't complete the lot number, they wanted documentation that I was a careless employee if they ever wanted to fire me.

This kinda shit really gets me down. Sigh. Management are supposed to facilitate shit, not gouge people unfairly to get the last drop of work from them... Unfortunately upper management see their job as being to get the max from employees because that will make more profits, but when you apply too much stick and not enough carrot you're dooming yourself anyway. I'll bet those guys have a high employee turnover rate and will start having problems hiring talented people soon.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-06-2015, 05:37 AM
Other problem for you Muffs, is that while management ostensibly want to know about problems on the shop floor more often than not someone who insists on their rights is a liability for them. They *hate* people who're not content to be mindless drones. Mindless drones can be exploited. A person who might stop other employees from being mindless drones is a threat.

17-06-2015, 07:21 AM
It's 1:20am and I'm home. Finished at 1.02am...
Think of the best possible outcome to my situation and it still wont be as good as what actually happened.
Like I mean I know I'm good but I had no idea I was that good.

[Image: oscar.png]
17-06-2015, 07:39 AM
(16-06-2015 11:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  Problem is that management have incentivised her to say that you guys finish at 1 am every day - as you said, she gets in shit if you finish late and it's her fault. She's passing the buck. If you bring it up to her be prepared for fallout - she might try to pin *all* the blame on you and get you fired rather than face the music herself.

If you have documentation or e.g. days you finished late, bring copies of it, chat to the rest of your team beforehand and tell them your plan, try get them to commit to backing you up. One employee getting fired won't make the management feel pain, and can be dismissed by PR if (s)he tries to make a stink elsewhere (e.g. press, complaints commission) but an entire team complaining and threatening to publicise the shitty way they treat employees can't be ignored.

Yea. I did sort of raise it with her. When I was speaking to my other manger about some unrelated wage issue thing (nothing major and he raised the issue with me, just to do with changing pay grades) I raised it with him (not getting paid to work after hours) and we were talking about when my team leader came in and the manger sort of raised it with her there. Took me off guard so I didn't press it and just shrugged it off. She was rather defensive even though it was raised only a little bit.

Quote:Thinking about it, she *should* get in shit if you regularly finish late. She can't then pretend that it's an incompetent employee - if it *is* an incompetent employee then it's her job to address that issue. Regular late close means she's not doing her job. If regular late close is brought on by management giving you too much shit to do it's still her job to tell them that, so she's *still* not doing her job.

Exactly. And it's insulting to the team for her to say that it is incompetent empoyees. And besides, even if it is imcompetent employees should I be punished because some dude on the other side of the store is fapping off into the ladies underwear in the changing rooms? Give that employee a disciplinary for slacking off for all I care but don't hold the whole class in at lunch time because one cunt talked during quiet time.

Quote:Other problem for you Muffs, is that while management ostensibly want to know about problems on the shop floor more often than not someone who insists on their rights is a liability for them. They *hate* people who're not content to be mindless drones. Mindless drones can be exploited. A person who might stop other employees from being mindless drones is a threat.

I'm not too concerned. I've gained two great references out of this job. They can't change my perma hours without my consent and they can't fire me for raising an issue. Besides, I'm the best worker they got and everyone loves me, including the day shift ladies who thing I'm "awesome". The only other decent worker they have is at tech and can only work like 3 days of the week and the other two they can call to work are useless as tits on a bull.

Quote:We have a saying:
"Shit rolls downhill."

Cover yourself, Muffs, before you start raising too much stink. People go to great lengths to cover their own ass, especially when we're talking about a person's primary source of income. I wouldn't hesitate to find a way to get you fired if I thought you were threatening me - I've got not just myself but a son to feed and bills to pay.

My last employer did write-ups over stupid shit - such as not charting a lot number for a urine pregnancy test (there were days I did thirty or more - ya really think I'm going to go back and complete my chart on the toothache that got discharged when I had to go run to a Level I Trauma with a dead mom and hopefully still living fetus...). They didn't really give a damn that I didn't complete the lot number, they wanted documentation that I was a careless employee if they ever wanted to fire me. We never got lunch and didn't get paid for that time - very much illegal - any of my coworkers that tried to raise hell over it got fired. I got the message loud and clear when I started getting written up after requesting my 30 minutes, and a lovely email saying it was my own responsibility to ensure I get lunch (right...in one of the top ten busiest EDs in the nation? Fuck you - it might be 8 hours into my shift before having an opportunity to use the restroom, much less eat).

Yea... I never did understand why people wanted to be nurses.

If you wanted I'd go to your ER and fake being sick so when you see me you can just sit down and relax for half an hour while you "treat me".

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
17-06-2015, 07:54 AM
So anyway, the greatest possible outcome occurred.
That being that the issue got resolved and I'm completely blameless and still in the good books (sorta).

So yesterday I worked a short 6-8 shift doing security. This is when I talked to my good manager and basically learned what my team leader has been doing. I bitched to my supervisor (who may have been a little stoned at the time and maybe I may have known he gets rather... confident.. when he gets stoned...) during that shift.
Anyway, I went home at 8pm. At 10pm, when nightfil have their break, my supervisor, who was working till 1am, raised the issue with my team leader. And when I say raised the issue I mean shit hit the fan. Things got... heated.. Basically what I told you about my team leader telling upper management we finished at 1am (when we really finished at 1:30) because she didn't want to get in shit, and how she told me that we had to work late (free of charge) because employees were slacking off and shit, all that I told my supervisor yesterday during my shift and my supervisor apparently relayed it back to my team leader in a sort of "WHAT THE FUCK BITCH!" way.

So upon speaking to some of my co-workers prior to work about what I was gonna do I learned of this and so just kept my mouth shut the whole day. Not really wanting to stir that pot so soon after my supervisor (who just happened to be "sick" today I might add...) whisked the shit out of it.

OH and at break time I was talking to my other supervisor, good cunt, about working after 1am and he said that the top manager, whom he's good friends with, has always told him to make sure to finish at 1am because if the team work after that they have to pay us. So they do have to pay us for that time worked.

So anyway, 5 to 1 comes around and I'm doing throw-ups (when we put excess stock in the tops above the shelves. It's rather time consuming) alone (normally a 2-man job) and I'm maybe a quarter of the way into them talking myself up to say something because I'm not really wanting to be there again at 1:30 doing throw-ups and 1.02am comes around and my team leader gets on the intercom "ok team, grab your stuff and meet me down front and I'll let you out".
I practically shat myself. I like look over at the grocery lady, she looks at me and we're like "what..the..fuck...just..happened..." It was very much like that suspicious not sure what to make of it awkward situation. So I got my stuff and sure enough we all left and my team leader and other supervisor stayed behind.

So... I think I caused a bit of a shit storm but managed to stay completely out of it...
Lol.

[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
17-06-2015, 09:38 AM
OK -- somebody tell me why the hell????

Do people leave advertisements on Craigslist after they've sold the damned thing????

It's starting to really piss me off....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-06-2015, 09:48 AM
(17-06-2015 09:38 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  OK -- somebody tell me why the hell????

Do people leave advertisements on Craigslist after they've sold the damned thing????

It's starting to really piss me off....

This is an all too common occurrence. Facepalm
17-06-2015, 12:59 PM
(17-06-2015 07:39 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea... I never did understand why people wanted to be nurses.
My mother was trained in nursing and have had a lot of friends who did, too. When I worked at a local college I was in charge of the NCLEX lab (so they could practice the licensing exam). I was the guinea pig to see how far you could before it failed you.

By the way, doesn't take long.