Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
20-06-2015, 01:12 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(20-06-2015 12:31 AM)Nurse Wrote:  Also, haven't gotten called in yet tonight. The inconvenience of being on call is worth much more that $2/hr.

$2/hr.? Hell, that won't even pay for your drinks while waiting around. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-06-2015, 07:21 AM
Another year down.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
20-06-2015, 09:08 AM
$2.00 an hour???

I think base pay in Australia is about $15.00.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-06-2015, 09:13 AM
(20-06-2015 09:08 AM)Banjo Wrote:  $2.00 an hour???

I think base pay in Australia is about $15.00.

I'm not sure if being on-call would be coverable under min-wage rules.

Huh...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-06-2015, 09:25 AM
She probably meant $20. Fuck me, if only I could make *that* much an hour. But I am too big a pussy to be a nurse. Tongue That and I have no beside manner. Hobo

20-06-2015, 09:27 AM
I think it means that if she gets called in she gets $2.00 an hour over her regular rate...which I am sure is well above 2 bucks an hour.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
20-06-2015, 10:12 AM
(20-06-2015 09:27 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I think it means that if she gets called in she gets $2.00 an hour over her regular rate...which I am sure is well above 2 bucks an hour.

I thought it meant that if you are scheduled "on call" for so many hours, you get $2 for each of those hours, even if you don't go in. Essentially, you get $2 an hour to NOT drink and just "be available".

That's how they do it (or used to) on the railroad for "on call" engineers.

Could be wrong, though. Nursey? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
20-06-2015, 10:19 AM
I meant $2/hr for every hour I'm sitting on my ass at home. Meaning if I don't get called in I just wasted 12 hours attached to my phone unable to do any activities that would impair my ability to be on the unit dressed and ready to go within an hour (keep in mind travel time/hoofing it from the parking garage). I can't have my son with me because of the potential for me to get called in. I'd much rather forgo the $24 - my base pay is more than that hourly. Although it was significantly lower in Alabama - after 5 years experience I made $19.11 with a bachelors working critical care. I get a $2/hr shift diff here for working critical care, $3/hr for night shift, $6/hr for weekends. Sometimes they offer incentive pay of $20/hr plus time and a half to pick up an understaffed shift - that's how you make money in my field. Now that I have an apartment here I can start doing that - working just one incentive shift covers rent for the month. You don't make much if you're not able to work weekend nights and overtime.

If I get called in it's just regular pay until I reach overtime - then time and a half. It's typically overtime. It's an inconvenient pain in the ass. I knew it was a requirement of the job when I signed my contract - but I'm still gonna bitch about it. How bout they staff the unit appropriately and send people home if over staffed - or float them to the ED that ALWAYS needs extra hands on deck. But hey, that would make too much goddamn sense, plus it's cheaper to pay a nurse $24 and short staff the units.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
20-06-2015, 10:47 AM
That's nuts. My husband works at Pepsi and is a lead mechanic. If he gets called in (he doesn't get paid for the possibility) he gets paid for 4 hours not counting the time he is in the plant. So if he goes in for 15 minutes, he gets his regular pay for that 15 minutes plus four more hours of pay. This all kicks up to overtime if he has his 40 hours in. If he works 7 days in a row, on that 7th day he gets double time.

If he has to make/receive several phone calls to help resolve an issue he gets the four hours at full pay even if he doesn't leave the house.

Hell, even the x-ray techs and ultrasound techs where I work get on call pay that's nearly equal to their regular hourly rate.

I think some hell-raising is in order.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
20-06-2015, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2015 11:17 AM by kim.)
(20-06-2015 10:19 AM)Nurse Wrote:  I meant $2/hr for every hour I'm sitting on my ass at home. Meaning if I don't get called in I just wasted 12 hours attached to my phone unable to do any activities that would impair my ability to be on the unit dressed and ready to go within an hour (keep in mind travel time/hoofing it from the parking garage). I can't have my son with me because of the potential for me to get called in. I'd much rather forgo the $24 - my base pay is more than that hourly. Although it was significantly lower in Alabama - after 5 years experience I made $19.11 with a bachelors working critical care. I get a $2/hr shift diff here for working critical care, $3/hr for night shift, $6/hr for weekends. Sometimes they offer incentive pay of $20/hr plus time and a half to pick up an understaffed shift - that's how you make money in my field. Now that I have an apartment here I can start doing that - working just one incentive shift covers rent for the month. You don't make much if you're not able to work weekend nights and overtime.
---

Yep. My railroad friend took up car restoration, gardening, and carpentry. His house and yard are fucking amazing and he has 2 vintage cars in his garage.

Keeps you off the streets, huh? Wink

I should say... my friend's "on call" pay was a LOT more than $2.... it was almost near his regular pay rate.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein