Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
26-07-2015, 12:03 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(25-07-2015 11:50 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Between the delivery of my painkillers and the letter, I was also given a box of panadeine to take home and a vial of "Oil of Cloves" to tide me over until I could see my dentist or GP to get a script for Endone, which I am to believe is just a step down from morphine...

It is oxycodone, an opioid - good stuff.

Why didn't they give that (instead of that jumble of pills) and write you a prescription?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2015, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2015 04:29 AM by Free Thought.)
(25-07-2015 11:57 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 11:50 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Thanks for your concern, guys.

After spending ~6 and a half hours at the hospital (5 of which were spent sitting in triage holding my face in one hand), the results were thus: the doc I finally saw eventually (after two corrections to look in the right spot and my having to clear up communications from my father who serially gets things wrong) that my rotted tooth was indeed the problem (both problem teeth of late have been the second molar on either side). I was sat down in a hallway to wait for another hour and a bit, during which I was dosed up with painkillers: two panadeine forte (a total of 1000mg paracetamol/60mg codeine), one oxycodone of unknown dose size and two ibuprofen which probably had a total of 400mg of their namesake in them. I waited for the doc to come back with her letter of referral she was typing: she hoped that a letter from the prime hospital in my state would get me into my dentist faster and then hopefully get my surgical consult pushed forward; since it's the weekend, can't do anything about it though.
Between the delivery of my painkillers and the letter, I was also given a box of panadeine to take home and a vial of "Oil of Cloves" to tide me over until I could see my dentist or GP to get a script for Endone, which I am to believe is just a step down from morphine...
Once the doc delivered her letter, she wished me luck (as did the nice woman in a stretcher I was seated next to with who I spoke in my characteristically awkward way) and my father and I left at the end of midnight.

Non-important, albeit related story-time:
At least the triage room had some... characters... After an hour (approx), a gentleman came out of the hospital proper and ranted at a triage clerk about 'not being respected' then sat down next to my father and I. It would not surprise me if he actually had been 'disrespected'; he was the definition of 'white trash' if I ever saw it: an angry and inarticulate 20-something man with a vocabulary rivaling a particularly foul-mouthed ten year old in scope and usage. When joined by his family (I assume) all he could do was complain about being arrested and fined on multiple occasions. Were I a nurse, I'd have been putting the bandages on his 'hurt' wrist a little too tight myself if I'm to be honest. As side-note, he dude had so many tattoos he would net be out of place at an art gallery as an exhibit.
Then we had a couple blow through; the man was a patient who had lost his shoes and was furious about it: "How can I trust you lot to look after my body if you can't look after my shoes!" verbatim quote, I didn't hear the female but she seemed more reasonable. To point out; in hospitals here, staff don't take shoes anywhere. If they were lost, he was the one who lost the things.
And at least, we had the obligatory irrationally angry mother. She stormed out from the ED into Triage and barked at the triage nurses demanding to know their names, following it up with: "If he dies, I'll call and let you know!", repeating it with 'my kid' afterward. The only child I saw with her group was a small girl who had no problems walking... I can only guess that I misheard, and she was angry about being discharged.

At least you got some pain relief and some...er...entertainment. Sure hope the letter gets you in for treatment faster. Tooth pain is miserable.

Keep us posted. The 4th of August (if I recall the date correctly) is just too long to keep suffering with this.

Thanks, and yeah, it's on the 4th. We'll have to wait until tomorrow to even try to see a dentist to try to get the consult pushed forward.
But I tell you, that Clove oil stuff works, burns like a bitch if it hits anywhere but my tooth and gum...
On the label, it actually says "POISON"... When I got it, and saw that on the label, my first thought was "There are no poisonous substances, only poisonous doses", and I amused myself.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
26-07-2015, 12:06 AM
(26-07-2015 12:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-07-2015 11:50 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Between the delivery of my painkillers and the letter, I was also given a box of panadeine to take home and a vial of "Oil of Cloves" to tide me over until I could see my dentist or GP to get a script for Endone, which I am to believe is just a step down from morphine...

Why didn't they give that (instead of that jumble of pills) and write you a prescription?

The Ibuprofen should help with inflammation, the other pain meds won't help with that. Less inflammation - a smidgen less pain. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
26-07-2015, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2015 04:27 AM by Free Thought.)
(26-07-2015 12:03 AM)Chas Wrote:  

They did give me one, along with the rest of the painkillers.

I think my doctor didn't want to write me a script (or give me a box) because by my own admission, I had some at home (one pill of which I had used prior to going to the ED), plus I was already going to be sent home with the panadeine forte box, which is itself a 'script-only' painkiller.
Also, I don't think the doc wanted to give me access to any extra meds anyway, especially ones that 'are easy to become reliant on'.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-07-2015, 12:59 AM
Free thought Hug

I hope you can now get to the dentist quickly.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-07-2015, 12:59 AM
Glad you're feeling better, FT.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-07-2015, 03:54 AM
Listening to that song area codes by Lucradis and Nate Dogg and all I hear is "I got hose"

[Image: Hose-OS28119.gif]

And I can't stop laughing because all I can image is me at work holding up some rings of garden hose's we sell rocking to the chorus making a music video.

"I got hose
I've got hose, with superior flows (superior, superior flows..flows)
hose, hose, with superior flows (superior, superior flows..flows)"

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
26-07-2015, 04:26 AM
(26-07-2015 12:59 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Glad you're feeling better, FT.

Thanks.

I may indeed be feeling, but 'better' is a bit premature.

[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
26-07-2015, 08:56 AM
I've always been ahead of the trends ... you'll get well soon, bud. :thumbs:
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-07-2015, 11:55 AM
(26-07-2015 03:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Listening to that song area codes by Lucradis and Nate Dogg and all I hear is "I got hose"

[Image: Hose-OS28119.gif]

And I can't stop laughing because all I can image is me at work holding up some rings of garden hose's we sell rocking to the chorus making a music video.

"I got hose
I've got hose, with superior flows (superior, superior flows..flows)
hose, hose, with superior flows (superior, superior flows..flows)"

wow I love muffs