Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
17-08-2015, 04:06 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(16-08-2015 06:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Being a complete Star Trek virgin, as in never seen a single episode or even a 5minute clip for that matter, my flatmate has convinced me to watch the latest Star Trek movie. So I shall do that over a bowl of honey chicken noodle.

Then you're still going to be a Star Trek virgin. J.J Abrams' Star Trek isn't Star Trek. I'd rather watch Star Trek 5, Generations and Insurrection in succession than Abrams raping my eyes with Lens fares and my brain with RACIST VULCANS.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
17-08-2015, 04:18 PM
(17-08-2015 04:06 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(16-08-2015 06:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Being a complete Star Trek virgin, as in never seen a single episode or even a 5minute clip for that matter, my flatmate has convinced me to watch the latest Star Trek movie. So I shall do that over a bowl of honey chicken noodle.

Then you're still going to be a Star Trek virgin. J.J Abrams' Star Trek isn't Star Trek. I'd rather watch Star Trek 5, Generations and Insurrection in succession than Abrams raping my eyes with Lens fares and my brain with RACIST VULCANS.

I'm so out of touch I found out only the other day that this guy
[Image: Benedict-Cumberbatch-as-John-Harrison-in...s-2013.jpg]
plays Khan in the latest (I think) Trek!

Like Spoony said, you can't out-Monteban Ricardo Monteban, but come on! Khan ain't no white man! Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
17-08-2015, 04:27 PM
(17-08-2015 04:18 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 04:06 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Then you're still going to be a Star Trek virgin. J.J Abrams' Star Trek isn't Star Trek. I'd rather watch Star Trek 5, Generations and Insurrection in succession than Abrams raping my eyes with Lens fares and my brain with RACIST VULCANS.

I'm so out of touch I found out only the other day that this guy

Like Spoony said, you can't out-Monteban Ricardo Monteban, but come on! Khan ain't no white man! Dodgy

It was bullshit fan service. Abrams promised he wouldn't do the WoK checklist, and then he did it, all the way to the KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Speaking of villians, isn't it funny that the vilian in the first reboot is seriously "a Romluan terrorist with a grudge"? I copy pasted that shit off the Star Trek plot generator...

[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
17-08-2015, 04:39 PM
(17-08-2015 04:27 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 04:18 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I'm so out of touch I found out only the other day that this guy

It was bullshit fan service. Abrams promised he wouldn't do the WoK checklist, and then he did it, all the way to the KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Speaking of villians, isn't it funny that the vilian in the first reboot is seriously "a Romluan terrorist with a grudge"? I copy pasted that shit off the Star Trek plot generator...

Sadcryface

You guys are scarring the living shit out of me... that Abrams moron supposedly directed the upcoming Star Wars film.

I'm trying to keep an open mind- it's an entirely different type of atmosphere in the Star Wars universe but ... who am I kidding? I still have periodic Jar-Jar Binks flashbacks. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
17-08-2015, 04:44 PM
(17-08-2015 04:39 PM)kim Wrote:  Sadcryface

You guys are scarring the living shit out of me... that Abrams moron supposedly directed the upcoming Star Wars film.

I'm trying to keep an open mind- it's an entirely different type of atmosphere in the Star Wars universe but ... who am I kidding? I still have periodic Jar-Jar Binks flashbacks. Dodgy

I'm right there with ya, sister! Hug I haven't seen episode 1 since the theatre! Undecided

But I refuse to completely toss out ALL hope! So long as Episode 7 ain't written for the grandkids, I'll be halfway to happy! Tongue

17-08-2015, 04:47 PM
(17-08-2015 04:39 PM)kim Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 04:27 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  It was bullshit fan service. Abrams promised he wouldn't do the WoK checklist, and then he did it, all the way to the KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Sadcryface

The thing is, Star Trek isn't a spaceshooter. In the series you're lucky a Star Trek shootout lasts more than 2 minutes. Star Wars is a lot different as you already know. I'm not saying that Star Wars is dumbed down in comparison; Star Trek just has a completely different pacing. There's a reason why the old Star Trek movies that had a similar plot to an episode in the series were the better movies. When you try to make a big action movie out of it, you're pretty much doomed to fail; unless you make a somewhat decent product like First Contact.

[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
17-08-2015, 04:50 PM
(17-08-2015 04:47 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 04:39 PM)kim Wrote:  Sadcryface

The thing is, Star Trek isn't a spaceshooter. In the series you're lucky a Star Trek shootout lasts more than 2 minutes. Star Wars is a lot different as you already know. I'm not saying that Star Wars is dumbed down in comparison; Star Trek just has a completely different pacing. There's a reason why the old Star Trek movies that had a similar plot to an episode in the series were the better movies. When you try to make a big action movie out of it, you're pretty much doomed to fail; unless you make a somewhat decent product like First Contact.

The big difference between Star Wars and Star Trek is Star Trek is at it's core a utopian space exploration fantasy. Star Wars on the other hand is the Hero's Journey. Star Trek is much more character driven whereas Star Wars is much more about characters causing and reacting to events. Abrams style works much better for Star Wars than it did for Star Trek.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-08-2015, 05:01 PM
All true, but a Lego movie could be action packed! Good fit, or no, I like the Star Treck reboots/remakes (or whatever) better than at least Episode 1 for the fact that it looked to be aimed at an older audience!

Could you imagine a Jar-Jar like character on the bridge of the Enterprise! And a race between the Enterprise, and the Excelsior, where Ensign 10-year-old wins! "that was intENSE". Facepalm Rainbow Vomit

Just make it like you want viewers to leave the kids at home, please! PLEASE! Sadcryface

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
17-08-2015, 05:43 PM
I just stubbed the fuck out of my baby toe! Censored

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
17-08-2015, 06:05 PM
(17-08-2015 05:43 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I just stubbed the fuck out of my baby toe! Censored

You should probably avoid that.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post