Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
26-10-2012, 06:02 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(26-10-2012 05:31 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 05:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Of course I know it! I'm taking a legal studies course this semester. Covering both Criminal and Civil law.

Never heard of it.

Are you guys trying to tell me that someone had their snails delivered in the wrong packaging?

That's terrible.

If I remember correctly DLJ, Donoghue V. Stevenson was a landmark case in regards to the concept of civil Torts (wrongs), specifically the Tort of Negligence.

Mrs Donoghue purchased a ginger beer from a cafe (or something like that), which unbeknownst to her, had a snail inside it, which caused her to become ill. She sued the beverages manufacturer, claiming they had cause harm to her. The problem was the she had purchased the beverage from a party separate from the manufacturer.
Ultimately she won the case as the House of Lords held that the manufacturer (Stevenson) owed her a duty of care, which was breached because it was reasonably foreseeable that failure to ensure the product's safety may have caused harm to consumers.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2012, 06:16 AM
(26-10-2012 05:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 04:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  You know Donoghue v Stevenson?
The snail in the soda bottle case right? established the definition of a "neighbor" as someone who would likely (in the eyes of a reasonable person) be effected by your actions and whom doesn't have to be in your immediate area. (so ie: in this case the a neighbor for the soda company was anyone who would drink their product).

I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise, it's a pretty key case in tort law.

Of course I know it, and a laugh at it!
....I'm taking a legal studies course this semester.

Ahh, yeah it's like one of the first cases you ever learn.
That and the one with the water reservoir that causes damage to a neighbors property. Oh, and the one with the boats and shit. There's a whole bunch of case's when it comes to negligence. It's like all law ever made on negligence is case law...
One would think it makes negligence a bitch to learn but it really doesn't. So much easier to remember a bunch of cases then entire acts.

@DLJ, this case is like 1000years old.
26-10-2012, 06:24 AM
(26-10-2012 06:16 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  @DLJ, this case is like 1000years old.

I tort so.

But I don't get out much.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
26-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I found negligence work to be pretty easy to understand.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
26-10-2012, 06:26 AM
(26-10-2012 06:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

I tort so.

Very punny...

[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
26-10-2012, 12:53 PM
(26-10-2012 06:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

I tort so.

*slow golf clap*

Yeah negligence is rather simple. Commercial law has a bit more depth to it simply because you have more legal matters (contracts, commercial situations etc..) but is still relatively easy.
I suspect criminal law is where it's at. I'd love to get into that.

As for the case I'm reading, not all stories have a happy ending. The old man lost (he was 97 I worked it out, when this shit happened). Pitty, I was really routing for the old codger. Ahh well, that's what happens when your defense is undue influence but you can't actually establish undue influence I suppose.
26-10-2012, 03:05 PM
[Image: 683217.jpg]
26-10-2012, 06:18 PM
(26-10-2012 12:53 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 06:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I tort so.

*slow golf clap*

Yeah negligence is rather simple. Commercial law has a bit more depth to it simply because you have more legal matters (contracts, commercial situations etc..) but is still relatively easy.
I suspect criminal law is where it's at. I'd love to get into that.

As for the case I'm reading, not all stories have a happy ending. The old man lost (he was 97 I worked it out, when this shit happened). Pitty, I was really routing for the old codger. Ahh well, that's what happens when your defense is undue influence but you can't actually establish undue influence I suppose.

So the guy got punished for supporting his son Confused

Hence the expression "love hurts".

I wonder what the world would be like if the legal system(s) had grown from emotions rather than rationality.

Strange to think that the early versions stemmed from religion; that people used to go to priests for judgements.

26-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Well that was easy.

1 bitch down, 3 to go.
28-10-2012, 04:53 AM
So while reading up on novichok (don't ask) and I had a brilliant idea.
What if I was able to produce a super bug that was resistant to any form medicine (step1: take 1 bug step2: subject it to antibiotics step3: allow high resistant ones to breed step4: repeat process step2 using slightly strong antibiotics step5: repeat step3 step6: repeat process 2 through to 5 until strongest known antibiotic has been used) and then simply hold the government to ransom until they give me 10million dollars and I can sale away into the sunset to live in the bahamas or something.
It's practically full-proof.

I think I'll label that "Plan B".
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post