Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
07-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Ranting corner
(07-11-2012 10:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  I officially just came across the dumbest word in the English language - vamoose. Reading up on its 'etymology' made me wanna puke or kill myself. Possibly both Frusty

Don't blame us. The Spaniards started it. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 11:05 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(07-11-2012 10:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 10:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  I officially just came across the dumbest word in the English language - vamoose. Reading up on its 'etymology' made me wanna puke or kill myself. Possibly both Frusty

Don't blame us. The Spaniards started it. Drinking Beverage
I highly doubt it. They would just say vamos... Don't even get me started on the whole "comprende" crap and the oh, so many attempts of English-speakers to sound like they understand other languages.

Nothing wrong with not speaking another language, when your own is spoken everywhere in the world, but this is just ridiculous... 'vamoose', forsooth! (I've totally been listening to too much Wodehouse lately).
Fun fact (not necessarily related) - the word bugger comes from the word Bulgarian Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
07-11-2012, 12:26 PM
So can't the whole world just stop everything for a day while my city has a snow day? The roads are brutal and I don't want to leave the house again, especially since I can see a vehicle wrapped around a tree in front of my house. Please? Because you know, it's all about me anyway. Big Grin
07-11-2012, 12:35 PM
(07-11-2012 11:05 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 10:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Don't blame us. The Spaniards started it. Drinking Beverage
I highly doubt it. They would just say vamos... Don't even get me started on the whole "comprende" crap and the oh, so many attempts of English-speakers to sound like they understand other languages.

Nothing wrong with not speaking another language, when your own is spoken everywhere in the world, but this is just ridiculous... 'vamoose', forsooth! (I've totally been listening to too much Wodehouse lately).
Fun fact (not necessarily related) - the word bugger comes from the word Bulgarian Drinking Beverage
English takes words from other languages and permutes them, and has been doing so since before it was English. Ketchup/catsup, igloo, mosquito, barbecue, pemmican, raj, dollar, pistol, robot, rendezvous, monsignor, vassal, surveillance, sabot, ....

English follows other languages down alleys and mugs them for valuables.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2012, 12:36 PM
(07-11-2012 12:26 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So can't the whole world just stop everything for a day while my city has a snow day? The roads are brutal and I don't want to leave the house again, especially since I can see a vehicle wrapped around a tree in front of my house. Please? Because you know, it's all about me anyway. Big Grin
OK, my company just cancelled our dinner meeting tonight. Just for you. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-11-2012, 12:39 PM
(07-11-2012 12:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  English takes words from other languages and permutes them, and has been doing so since before it was English. Ketchup/catsup, igloo, mosquito, barbecue, pemmican, raj, dollar, pistol, robot, rendezvous, monsignor, vassal, surveillance, sabot, ....

English follows other languages down alleys and mugs them for valuables.
You thieving bastards!
I totally agree with you, but vamoose is just... ugh. It looks wrong and sounds even worse. No

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
07-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Obama is president, again.
Great... I'm going to be homeless when I graduate now.
What was the US thinking when they elected him back into office?!
07-11-2012, 12:51 PM
(07-11-2012 12:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 12:26 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So can't the whole world just stop everything for a day while my city has a snow day? The roads are brutal and I don't want to leave the house again, especially since I can see a vehicle wrapped around a tree in front of my house. Please? Because you know, it's all about me anyway. Big Grin
OK, my company just cancelled our dinner meeting tonight. Just for you. Yes
So people won't eat if I have a snow day? Stupid snow day consequences.
07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
(07-11-2012 12:51 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 12:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  OK, my company just cancelled our dinner meeting tonight. Just for you. Yes
So people won't eat if I have a snow day? Stupid snow day consequences.
You will have to bear the guilt.

07-11-2012, 12:54 PM
(07-11-2012 12:41 PM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  Obama is president, again.
Great... I'm going to be homeless when I graduate now.
What was the US thinking when they elected him back into office?!
Exactly how is Obama making you homeless?