Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
19-10-2015, 09:02 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(19-10-2015 08:21 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(18-10-2015 04:53 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Jesus that's expensive.

I'm not sure why, but wind instruments in general seem to be really expensive.

My instrument is guitar, and though there are guitars that cost thousands of dollars, I have a pretty nice Fender Telecaster guitar that cost about $600, and a Gretsch acoustic that cost about $300. I'm not a professional musician, but if I were, both of those would be perfectly acceptable instruments.

But every time I look at saxophones, trumpets, clarinets, etc. -- they seem to start at several thousand dollars for anything better than a "student" instrument.

Prices for good violins, cellos, etc., are even higher. Lots of symphony string players are sawing away at instruments that cost more than my house.

And then there's the clarinet paraphernalia: My ligature (the doohickey that holds the reed on the mouthpiece--mine is solid silver with gold plating): more than $200. My mouthpiece: $250 (and that's relatively cheap for a pro mouthpiece, where prices are edging up into the $600-700 range). Plus you have to buy reeds, $25+/box, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Do you earn good money with it? Wow, that's an expensive hint I hint I hobby/job.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
19-10-2015, 11:13 AM
(19-10-2015 10:05 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Do you earn good money with it? Wow, that's an expensive hint I hint I hobby/job.

Most of the big outlays are for equipment you can use for years. Pay varies widely and doesn't include the amount of time spent preparing what you're going to play. I don't earn great money, but I make $40/hour and up, so the money's not terrible. I genuinely love teaching and performing and feel I'm providing a real benefit to my students. My music teachers were the most important adults to me growing up outside of my family, and I'm happy to be in the teaching role now.
19-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Nurse... Sad Hug

19-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Well went shopping again this week. Fml I didn't think I bought that much. Blush

Why are cold medicines soooo damn expansive?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Expansive???

As in expanding your mind????

I'd say you need to cut the dosage back a wee bit....

Or go for it....

Whatever blows wind up your skirt...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-10-2015, 02:10 PM
(19-10-2015 11:13 AM)julep Wrote:  
(19-10-2015 10:05 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Do you earn good money with it? Wow, that's an expensive hint I hint I hobby/job.

Most of the big outlays are for equipment you can use for years. Pay varies widely and doesn't include the amount of time spent preparing what you're going to play. I don't earn great money, but I make $40/hour and up, so the money's not terrible. I genuinely love teaching and performing and feel I'm providing a real benefit to my students. My music teachers were the most important adults to me growing up outside of my family, and I'm happy to be in the teaching role now.

Great!
Always good to be passionate about your job. Especially teaching. Thumbsup
Also, I have no idea how I missed my autocorrect butchering my post... Blush

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
19-10-2015, 02:15 PM
(19-10-2015 02:04 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Expansive???

As in expanding your mind????

I'd say you need to cut the dosage back a wee bit....

Or go for it....

Whatever blows wind up your skirt...

Big Grin

You know my phone ducking hats me.

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-10-2015, 03:25 PM
(18-10-2015 07:08 AM)Nurse Wrote:  And I'm well aware my boys suck statement was a vapid generalization, it's the ranting corner - didn't really give a damn as I was typing through tears. My ex husband was a "nice guy," and the last two guys I've dated also fall in that category...As in people comment on how they are sweethearts. Once this fling is over (and it's headed that way) I think I'll date a guy that's up front about being an asshole.

Well...I guess that means I'm out of the running. Tongue

"I'm Nice" by Wally Pleasant

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
19-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Hubby put my sun tea jar on top of the fridge in the garage.

It'll be fine he said.

Today while he was digging around in there and guess what fell when he closed the door?

Weeping

I loved that thing.

And I had to clean it up because everyone here except me is sickly. Dodgy