Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
23-11-2015, 12:17 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Called the doc. Sounds like hand foot and mouth disease apparently. Sounds like she got it at her first time going to play group at the library. Yay....

I suck as a mom.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
23-11-2015, 03:34 PM
(23-11-2015 12:17 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Called the doc. Sounds like hand foot and mouth disease apparently. Sounds like she got it at her first time going to play group at the library. Yay....

I suck as a mom.

Hey, atleast you took your kid to the doc instead of letting Jehova do the healing.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
23-11-2015, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2015 04:39 PM by Free Thought.)
FT's morning shopping:

Okay; it's early in the morning, the store is a large supermarket part of a chain which has somewhere around 80% of the market under it's heel. The ATM outside is out of service so I meander in to withdraw the money I need for rent from the store itself (the self-checkouts are also ATMs) and decide to grab some things to eat through the day because why not. And here's the problem: I go in with my bag.
Because it's easier that the shitty plastic bags they give and I never need a trolley or such, I go to the shops with a large backpack on. It remains open at all times so everybody who might look can see the content, it is also clearly not a Faraday cage as anybody can see from a casual look inside.
A hulking man comes from behind my and bumps me forward (there's plenty of room for him to go around without getting within two inches of me, despite his rather rotund nature) telling me that I had better 'make sure I pay' for what I have and proceeds to start cursing about 'fuckin' kids with their bags'.

It seems reasonable to be concerned about a youth with a bag in a supermarket; I will concede that young people tend to steal with relatively high frequency and bags are a good way to do it. Were I in his position (and I have been expect for being old and a loud-mouth moron), I would almost certainly have a gut reaction similar to his, then after the not even a second, my reason would kick in and I'd go about my business reasonably assured that kid ain't a thief, for the reasons I detail below:

Here's why I'd be reasonable and he's an asshole: he is making unwarranted assumptions based on my age and the fact that I have a bag, despite lacking literally any hallmark of a thief; I am wearing distinct clothing (plain black shirt and grey pants, unusual for youths here) and I'm wearing hulking backpack carrying my biscuity contraband, I've made no effort to hide my identity or my actions, and worst of all I'm in a store I couldn't possibly steal from and get away.
The entrance to the store is covered by RFID scanners which sound off if anything not scanned and purchased goes through. The only way I could get past those is if I did indeed have a Farraday cage bag and it's clear I don't. If I did just bolt... Every single centimetre of the store is under video surveillance; given that I made no effort to hide who I was or what I was doing, I'd be easily identifiable by the relevant parties should I do anything. Furthermore, this is compounded by the fact there was practically no humans in the store outside of staff, myself and Mr. Nothoughts McJudgington. If somebody tried to walk out and set off the scanners, staff'd be over them in seconds. Further intensifying his being an unreasoning dick is that the shopping centre the store is in itself has security, both in the camera and the 'hold you on the floor until the cop-squad comes with their iron shackles' varieties. On the topic of law enforcement, there is a police station not fifty meters from the centre. Adding to this, I'm very clearly not somebody who could outrun an anybody... with the possible exception of the rude cro-magnon who may have put a small cow to shame on the scales. Plus, the guy isn't even an employee so he has no reason to be remotely concerned.
I'd notice these things and be reasonably assured that the hypothetical kid in my place is not a thief.

Would it have been fair for me to respond in kind that he should 'make sure' he doesn't abuse his significant other based purely on the fact that he is older and thus more likely to be engaged in a relationship, and male making him more likely to commit abuse? No, that would have made me an asshole, wouldn't it?

Okay; I admit that my last few days haven't been great and I'm still a little off because of them, so I could be nothing more than an irrational dickhead myself for having such a reaction.

So, retail people, how much of an asshole am I here, given the conditions I described?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-11-2015, 04:15 PM
(23-11-2015 08:39 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Hobit had a fever. It broke and now she's covered in bumps and a rash.

No idea what this is.

Hobbitosis? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
23-11-2015, 04:33 PM
(23-11-2015 04:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  FT's morning shopping:

Okay; it's early in the morning, the store is a large supermarket part of a chain which has somewhere around 80% of the market under it's heel. The ATM outside is out of service so I meander in to withdraw the money I need for rent from the store itself (the self-checkouts are also ATMs) and decide to grab some things to eat through the day because why not. And here's the problem: I go in with my bag.
Because it's easier that the shitty plastic bags they give and I never need a trolley or such, I go to the shops with a large backpack on. It remains open at all times so everybody who might look can see the content, it is also clearly not a Faraday cage as anybody can see from a casual look inside.
A hulking man comes from behind my and bumps me forward (there's plenty of room for him to go around without getting within two inches of me, despite his rather rotund nature) telling me that I had better 'make sure I pay' for what I have and proceeds to start cursing about 'fuckin' kids with their bags'.

It seems reasonable to be concerned about a youth with a bag in a supermarket; I will concede that young people tend to steal with relatively high frequency and bags are a good way to do it. Were I in his position (and I have been expect for being old and a loud-mouth moron), I would almost certainly have a gut reaction similar to his, then after the not even a second, my reason would kick in and I'd go about my business reasonably assured that kid ain't a thief, for the reasons I detail below:

Here's when I'd be reasonable and he's an asshole: he is making unwarranted assumptions based on my age and the fact that I have a bag, despite lacking literally any hallmark of a thief; I am wearing distinct clothing (plain black shirt and grey pants, unusual for youths here) and I'm wearing hulking backpack carrying my biscuity contraband, I've made no effort to hide my identity or my actions, and worst of all I'm in a store I couldn't possibly steal from and get away.
The entrance to the store is covered by RFID scanners which sound off if anything not scanned and purchased goes through. The only way I could get past those is if I did indeed have a Farraday cage bag and it's clear I don't. If I did just bolt... Every single centimetre of the store is under video surveillance; given that I made no effort to hide who I was or what I was doing, I'd be easily identifiable by the relevant parties should I do anything. Furthermore, this is compounded by the fact there was practically no humans in the store outside of staff, myself and Mr. Nothoughts McJudgington. If somebody tried to walk out and set off the scanners, staff'd be over them in seconds. Further intensifying his being an unreasoning dick is that the shopping centre the store is in itself has security, both in the camera and the 'hold you on the floor until the cop-squad comes with their iron shackles' varieties. On the topic of law enforcement, there is a police station not fifty meters from the centre. Adding to this, I'm very clearly not somebody who could outrun an anybody... with the possible exception of the rude cro-magnon who may have put a small cow to shame on the scales. Plus, the guy isn't even an employee so he has no reason to be remotely concerned.
I'd notice these things and be reasonably assured that the hypothetical kid in my place is not a thief.

Would it have been fair for me to respond in kind that he should 'make sure' he doesn't abuse his significant other based purely on the fact that he is older and thus more likely to be engaged in a relationship, and male making him more likely to commit abuse? No, that would have made me an asshole, wouldn't it?

Okay; I admit that my last few days haven't been great and I'm still a little off because of them, so I could be nothing more than an irrational dickhead myself for having such a reaction.

So, retail people, how much of an asshole am I here, given the conditions I described?

I'm more interested in how you let that fat cunt get away with shoving you for no reason.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
23-11-2015, 04:48 PM
(23-11-2015 04:33 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(23-11-2015 04:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  FT's morning shopping:

Here's when I'd be reasonable and he's an asshole: he is making unwarranted assumptions based on my age and the fact that I have a bag, despite lacking literally any hallmark of a thief; I am wearing distinct clothing (plain black shirt and grey pants, unusual for youths here) and I'm wearing hulking backpack carrying my biscuity contraband, I've made no effort to hide my identity or my actions, and worst of all I'm in a store I couldn't possibly steal from and get away.

I'm more interested in how you let that fat cunt get away with shoving you for no reason.

Not much I could do about it. I'm far too mild to respond in reality.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
23-11-2015, 07:25 PM
I don't like Christmas. I don't actually hate it most years. It's not because it's a (supposedly) Christian holiday or an amalgamation of various cultural holidays. Every year someone asks what I want. Fucking nothing. I'm serious; absogoddamnlutely nothing. I want one year when no one gets me anything.

Me: You know, I'm not really into holidays, so you don't have to bother.
Them: Too late! I already got you something! Laughat

Or in the past at work...
Me: No, I'd rather not be in the Secret Santa thing. I'd rather choose who I buy for.
Them: Too late! I already put your name in! Laughat

I'm sure I'd get back into the holiday spirit if I could have one year when I don't get anything. Just leave me the fuck out of your holiday once. That's all I ask. One year.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
23-11-2015, 09:55 PM
(23-11-2015 12:17 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Called the doc. Sounds like hand foot and mouth disease apparently. Sounds like she got it at her first time going to play group at the library. Yay....

I suck as a mom.

You can't stop your child from ever getting sick.
It's good to expose kids to germs early anyway, let their immune system build up and all that.

A bad parent wouldn't have been so worried and taken the kid to the doctor. A bad parent would put the kid in the tumble dryer for an hour.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
24-11-2015, 03:48 PM
Cheese and bacon pizza dough. Remind me of that in about 6 months.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
24-11-2015, 03:57 PM
(23-11-2015 07:25 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I don't like Christmas. I don't actually hate it most years. It's not because it's a (supposedly) Christian holiday or an amalgamation of various cultural holidays. Every year someone asks what I want. Fucking nothing. I'm serious; absogoddamnlutely nothing. I want one year when no one gets me anything.

Me: You know, I'm not really into holidays, so you don't have to bother.
Them: Too late! I already got you something! Laughat

Or in the past at work...
Me: No, I'd rather not be in the Secret Santa thing. I'd rather choose who I buy for.
Them: Too late! I already put your name in! Laughat

I'm sure I'd get back into the holiday spirit if I could have one year when I don't get anything. Just leave me the fuck out of your holiday once. That's all I ask. One year.

Noted. Fortunately, there's still time to return your gift.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post