Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
26-11-2015, 04:50 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(26-11-2015 04:45 PM)Nurse Wrote:  My grandfather died last night. Technically step, but he's been more of a grandfather to me than my actual paternal grandfather. And I was on call so I couldn't go home. Seeing as today is a major holiday and I have to work, I still can't call out. Nor can I call out for tomorrow because it's the day after a holiday. Calling out gives "occurrences", as does being late. Calling out the day of, before or after results in double and a written warning. I had several in the spring when I was having trouble functioning, as well as I'm occasionally late because of traffic/traffic accidents - sometimes a 10 minute commute takes an hour.

Mom was going to come up this morning and bring Thanksgiving food, but obviously that didn't happen.

I also have to work the night of the funeral. I don't want to go. I've only been to one as an adult - I don't share the same response as most people, and it makes for awkward uncomfortableness (didn't know that was a word - thought I made it up but there's no squiggle under it).

No one is honest at them. The way he died was much more appealing than how I thought it was going to happen, and I'm relieved he went quickly. He was a dick. I loved him terribly. Most of the family hates him - just my grandmother and myself cared about him. And they're going to be the ones there crying, acting like they gave a shit about him.

And if I don't go, I'm going to let down my grandmother. But I already have a verbal warning for occurrences. Fuck.

See, God hates me. He had to wait until a major holiday while I was PMSing and alone to kill off one of my family members. Never mind the fact that he was old and in poor health, God dunnit because he's responsible for everything, like finding your lost keys. Fuck, I'm going to have to listen to "he's with the lord now" and condolences if I go. Can't I just stay home and cook and cry with my grandmother? That sounds so much better.

Tl;dr I really don't want to go to work tonight. Papa's dead.

My condolences, Nurse. I'll drink to his memory this evening for you.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2015, 09:34 PM
(26-11-2015 04:45 PM)Nurse Wrote:  My grandfather died last night. Technically step, but he's been more of a grandfather to me than my actual paternal grandfather. And I was on call so I couldn't go home. Seeing as today is a major holiday and I have to work, I still can't call out. Nor can I call out for tomorrow because it's the day after a holiday. Calling out gives "occurrences", as does being late. Calling out the day of, before or after results in double and a written warning. I had several in the spring when I was having trouble functioning, as well as I'm occasionally late because of traffic/traffic accidents - sometimes a 10 minute commute takes an hour.

Mom was going to come up this morning and bring Thanksgiving food, but obviously that didn't happen.

I also have to work the night of the funeral. I don't want to go. I've only been to one as an adult - I don't share the same response as most people, and it makes for awkward uncomfortableness (didn't know that was a word - thought I made it up but there's no squiggle under it).

No one is honest at them. The way he died was much more appealing than how I thought it was going to happen, and I'm relieved he went quickly. He was a dick. I loved him terribly. Most of the family hates him - just my grandmother and myself cared about him. And they're going to be the ones there crying, acting like they gave a shit about him.

And if I don't go, I'm going to let down my grandmother. But I already have a verbal warning for occurrences. Fuck.

See, God hates me. He had to wait until a major holiday while I was PMSing and alone to kill off one of my family members. Never mind the fact that he was old and in poor health, God dunnit because he's responsible for everything, like finding your lost keys. Fuck, I'm going to have to listen to "he's with the lord now" and condolences if I go. Can't I just stay home and cook and cry with my grandmother? That sounds so much better.

Hug
26-11-2015, 09:40 PM
(26-11-2015 04:45 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Tl;dr I really don't want to go to work tonight. Papa's dead.

My sincere condolences to you Nurse. I would think the hospital would give you a way to go meet your family obligations. They can’t be that insensitive can they?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
26-11-2015, 09:41 PM

I am sorry for your loss.

But, how can a death in the family be considered an 'occurrence'? It's a hospital for Pete's Sake...they don't understand a death in a family?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
26-11-2015, 09:47 PM
I'm sorry, Nursey. Hug

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-11-2015, 09:55 PM
I might just hate christmas.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
26-11-2015, 10:38 PM
(26-11-2015 09:55 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I might just hate christmas.

Hate to play the age card but really, you aren't old enough.

Really good cynicism and it's ensuing hatred takes years to develop. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
26-11-2015, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2015 11:00 PM by I Am.)
(26-11-2015 09:55 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  I might just hate christmas.

I might too. Or maybe I just need a few years off, so I can come back to it with a clear palate. This 3-months-on, 9-months-off holiday schedule is just too much. I want to ask the world to just hold off on Christmas until 2020 or so, while I catch my breath.

Edit: Nah, it needs to go. What say we start a holiday tradition of arson and mayhem directed at Christmas-themed store displays?
26-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Talked to my charge nurse. He texted my supervisor and manager and let them know he took me off the schedule for my next 3 shifts as allowed per policy. I have a sweet assignment tonight and then I'm not back until next Friday.

Is it wrong for me to be thankful that I get a thanksgiving holiday break and to see my family after all thanks to my Papa kicking the bucket? Consider I'm contemplating pouring a bit of bourbon in a flask to take the edge off of dealing with the rather ridiculous people there. It's a southern baptist family, there ain't gonna be drinks served and it certainly won't be a party. There will at least be good food. Bring on the casseroles!

...I'll try to behave at the funeral and keep my mouth shut.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
26-11-2015, 11:58 PM
(26-11-2015 10:52 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Talked to my charge nurse. He texted my supervisor and manager and let them know he took me off the schedule for my next 3 shifts as allowed per policy. I have a sweet assignment tonight and then I'm not back until next Friday.

Is it wrong for me to be thankful that I get a thanksgiving holiday break and to see my family after all thanks to my Papa kicking the bucket? Consider I'm contemplating pouring a bit of bourbon in a flask to take the edge off of dealing with the rather ridiculous people there. It's a southern baptist family, there ain't gonna be drinks served and it certainly won't be a party. There will at least be good food. Bring on the casseroles!

...I'll try to behave at the funeral and keep my mouth shut.

Hug I'm sorry for your loss but glad work isn't being horrible.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces