Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
19-02-2016, 05:32 PM
RE: Ranting corner
I saw Jenny's post and then passed out - I'd already taken a sleeping pill to make sure I got sleep. Yesterday I only got two hours.

I sent him "congrats." He replied "thank you".

He told me so I wouldn't find out through my son, like I found out about their relationship in the first place.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
19-02-2016, 05:54 PM
(19-02-2016 09:25 AM)Nurse Wrote:  So my almost ex husband (should be going through sometime this month or next) is now engaged. He just texted me a few minutes ago.

I don't know how to respond to that.

I'm tempted to put:
"Ok."

I don't really feel like putting "Congratulations, I wish you the best and much happiness." So much of it has been at my expense.

Wtf?!

Consider Does your phone have a coffee smiley?
I'd write:
"Good luck with that! Drinking Beverage "

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
19-02-2016, 08:07 PM
My office has a process that could be mostly eliminated. We get faxes printed on paper, spend human time cataloging, sorting, and adding more paper to them, and then spend more human time entering data from the printed fax into a browser-based form to generate a new paper report somewhere else. Any printed faxes that fail to satisfy the browser form get photocopied and mailed... snail mailed... along with a letter and often a separate address page.

This whole thing... no I exagerrate, but conservatively 60% of this can be automated. The rest can be digitized for humans to attend to through email. We get many thousands of these daily... page after ream after box after pallet of paper being used in place of secure electronic storage.

I hate inefficiency. It makes my brain twitch. This system wastes, first, the people doing it. There are creative, ambitious people stuck doing this nonsense. The paper too of course. Most of it will just be stored until it gets shredded in a year or five.

Management will not spend the dollars to make improvements, mostly because they don't have any to spend, even to save millions annually in salaries, office space, and supplies. Front line management has the least motivation to eliminate the waste, because in doing so they could eliminate the group they supervise. The union, for which I am a steward, will not advocate eliminating positions. Don't get me wrong, I want no one out of work. The people doing these tasks can be trained to fill open positions. No one with with levers of power has motivation to change this. And so it will continue.

I am glad there's a place to rant. This started in the "Small things than make you frown" thread, and then it was no longer a small thing.
19-02-2016, 08:27 PM
(19-02-2016 09:25 AM)Nurse Wrote:  So my almost ex husband (should be going through sometime this month or next) is now engaged. He just texted me a few minutes ago.

But you're the one paying child support now. That shit stops if he remarries. He's not the brightest light in the harbor is he?

#sigh
19-02-2016, 08:40 PM
(19-02-2016 08:07 PM)I Am Wrote:  My office has a process that could be mostly eliminated. We get faxes printed on paper, spend human time cataloging, sorting, and adding more paper to them, and then spend more human time entering data from the printed fax into a browser-based form to generate a new paper report somewhere else. Any printed faxes that fail to satisfy the browser form get photocopied and mailed... snail mailed... along with a letter and often a separate address page.

This whole thing... no I exagerrate, but conservatively 60% of this can be automated. The rest can be digitized for humans to attend to through email. We get many thousands of these daily... page after ream after box after pallet of paper being used in place of secure electronic storage.

I hate inefficiency. It makes my brain twitch. This system wastes, first, the people doing it. There are creative, ambitious people stuck doing this nonsense. The paper too of course. Most of it will just be stored until it gets shredded in a year or five.

Management will not spend the dollars to make improvements, mostly because they don't have any to spend, even to save millions annually in salaries, office space, and supplies. Front line management has the least motivation to eliminate the waste, because in doing so they could eliminate the group they supervise. The union, for which I am a steward, will not advocate eliminating positions. Don't get me wrong, I want no one out of work. The people doing these tasks can be trained to fill open positions. No one with with levers of power has motivation to change this. And so it will continue.

I am glad there's a place to rant. This started in the "Small things than make you frown" thread, and then it was no longer a small thing.

All of the paper can be eliminated, every bit of it. The faxes can go straight to computer storage bypassing a fax machine. Faxes are digital data.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Men. I'm so done with every fucking last one of them.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-02-2016, 08:43 PM
"There are (color A) thugs with guns."
translation
"There are thugs with guns who happen to be (color A)."
------Add onto-----
"If they were (color B), their butts would all be dead by now without question. Why hasn't (color A) been shot yet? Oh yeah. Racism."
Translation
"(color A) should die more. That would be the correct way things are done when they step out of line. I couldn't resist indirectly confessing, via this postage, that I am a racist, hypocritical, regressive who actually cares nothing about lives in the first place, while pretending I do. I also enjoy tossing oh so scary words that (color A) can't avoid being called in the first place, because it makes me feel SMARTER."
19-02-2016, 08:44 PM
(19-02-2016 08:40 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Men. I'm so done with every fucking last one of them.

Hug Boys are dumb.

Here. Have some peanut butter.

[Image: peanut-butter-cups.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
19-02-2016, 08:48 PM
(19-02-2016 08:40 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Men. I'm so done with every fucking last one of them.

O noes ! Sadcryface Say it ain't so. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
19-02-2016, 08:51 PM

We're not all assholes.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post