Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
29-02-2016, 12:14 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Okay, sorry, but I have to rant about the Oscars.

On one hand, I'm delighted. Mad Max (which I believe is one of, if not the best action film of the last 15 years) swept the technical categories and won a stunning 6 statues. Ennio Morricone, now close to 90, finally got the award (50 years too late, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly deserved five Oscars for its' main theme alone), even if it meant the new Star Wars went home without any. I have to admit I don't really understand how Ex Machina won over any of the other 4. And of course, was there anyone who didn't celebrate when Leonardo DiCaprio f*cking finally won his long overdue Oscar? Along with a total of 3 statues to The Revenant (I personally would've given best supporting actor to Tom Hardy as well, but that's just me)

On the other hand, regarding the best foreign film category. The nominee of my country, Son of Saul, won, earning the 2nd ever Academy Award for best foreign film for Hungary (after István Szabó's Mephisto in 1982). I should be overjoyed, or feeling proud. Instead, what I'm feeling, is shame. Almost as if at the football world cup finals, one of my country's players took a dive to get a penalty kick or went for causing grievous injury to the opponent, winning us the match, but losing any sort of respect we might have had. Because Son of Saul wasn't as much a movie, as much as it was a slightly concealed attempt at blackmailing the Academy - an attempt, that, regretfully, was successful. It's been proven again and again that a significant portion of the U.S and Western European press is willing to tear accomplished scientists, even Nobel-winners to shreds for anything that a few hysterical special snowflakes would consider offensive and miss no chance to celebrate everything that demands shirt-tearing and frothing mea culpas from the Ultimate Evil - the white man - for any terrible event that happened long before most were alive, let alone grown up and responsible for them. And the director, László Nemes-Jeles definitely knew this, for even as it could've been reasonably possible that he simply put his own visions on canvas, in an interview with Berlin-based newspaper Jüdische Allgemeine (disowned and deleted since then, but the newspaper has seemingly no reason to falsify it in the first place, making his claim that he never said these things questionable at best - there's an archived version, in german, for 3€ http://www.genios.de/presse-archiv/artik...89306.html ), he called his homeland so anti-semite we'd "reopen concentration camps", thrashed movies like Schindler's List and La vita é bella, sunk as low as to call Downfall (Der Untergang) a "third reich propaganda" and even made derogatory comments on film festivals like Cannes and the Academy Awards themselves, probably in the full knowledge that with this declaration that Son of Saul was a political statement rather than artistic expression, his award was already set, no matter what else he said.

He should be ashamed for exploiting a glaring message-over-merit tendency in the current political climate for his own fame. Yet, instead of wringing his hands and apologizing profusely, he basks in the glory he extorted, and many Hungarians follow suit because the will to finally win something, in any contest whatsoever, is stronger in us than the respect for our opponents. So I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize on all of their behalf to those who were robbed of a fair competition, especially to Colombian director Ciro Guerra, who was robbed of a well-deserved award for Embrace of the Serpent. I know of no possible way to amend the damage we've caused to the image of fair competition. I admit to be a very end-justifies-the-means and sore loser type myself, but to disturb the eternal rest of millions of innocent victims (some of whom I personally am distantly related to), for nothing but fame, is something I would never, NEVER sink low enough for and I can only beg everyone for holding to the same instead of following Nemes-Jeles' (whose surnames even mean "noble" and "exemplary" respectively. I feel like I'm gonna hurl) example and tearing into historic tragedies in such a senseless and blame-pointing way, poking responsibility at groups and nations whose citizens weren't even alive back then. No Oscar is worth it. Not even DiCaprio's. Let the dead rest and the past remain the past.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2016, 04:49 PM
After becoming hopelessly lost I gave up on the interview this afternoon. I was too upset to even try to have a discussion with four interviewers. That, and the drive to wherever it was I ended up was awful. When your GPS says fuck you and your phone can't get signal it's time to get out of there. Good lord.

I have literally driven (alone) across this country from the PCH to highway 12 on The Outer Banks and not been as lost as I felt today. Even when I finally made to the exit and road I was supposed to be on....the place wasn't there...on either side of the Interstate.

Waste of time and gas and I am a nervous wreck.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
29-02-2016, 04:56 PM
(29-02-2016 04:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  After becoming hopelessly lost I gave up on the interview this afternoon. I was too upset to even try to have a discussion with four interviewers. That, and the drive to wherever it was I ended up was awful. When your GPS says fuck you and your phone can't get signal it's time to get out of there. Good lord.

I have literally driven (alone) across this country from the PCH to highway 12 on The Outer Banks and not been as lost as I felt today. Even when I finally made to the exit and road I was supposed to be on....the place wasn't there...on either side of the Interstate.

Waste of time and gas and I am a nervous wreck.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
*Hugs*
29-02-2016, 06:40 PM
I spent the day at the local motel trying to patch new pvc sewer pipe onto the original (and deteriorating) clay pipe that was buried in the 50s, and the fucker is still backing up. I'm so sick of everyone's shit right now.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 5 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
29-02-2016, 10:25 PM
My beau cannot give me the attention that I want because he "wants good grades" and we're approaching midterms.

And I have a pimple on my eyebrow! Angry

Stupid boys!
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
01-03-2016, 12:01 AM
(29-02-2016 10:25 PM)Aliza Wrote:  My beau cannot give me the attention that I want because he "wants good grades" and we're approaching midterms.

Rolleyes Bits of paper rule our lives.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
01-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Weeping

We need to have our gutters cleaned.

500 bucks! Fml

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-03-2016, 01:14 PM
(01-03-2016 12:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Weeping

500 bucks! Fml

Why on earth would you pay? You have sons. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-03-2016, 01:19 PM
(01-03-2016 01:14 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 12:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Weeping

500 bucks! Fml

Why on earth would you pay? You have sons. Drinking Beverage

3 story house. We really don't have a ladder tall enough either.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-03-2016, 01:59 PM
(01-03-2016 01:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 01:14 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Why on earth would you pay? You have sons. Drinking Beverage

3 story house. We really don't have a ladder tall enough either.

"Time to learn how to scale a wall, boys!"

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post