Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
12-04-2016, 05:39 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(12-04-2016 02:54 PM)Loom Wrote:  Hug

Hope you start feeling better!

Thanks, I truly appreciate that! The migraine stuff at least seems to mostly have the head pressure under control Smile Still felt nausea through the call-a-thon, but we finished early! Turned out everyone else had like 5 people, so I made up a cheat sheet for the high points of our criminal justice program (internships, ranked #1 in the state, etc.) and together the Dean, the Geography Chair, myself, and someone from Philosophy managed to knock things out with half an hour to spare! Teamwork works.

(12-04-2016 02:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You didn't eat an iguana too, did you?

Kidding...I hope you get your meds and they find an answer soon so that you feel better.

Thanks, the migraine stuff at least seems to be working. They called back with test results but phone was on silent and (I think it's a HIPAA thing that says they can't) didn't leave the blood test stuff on the voice mail. As for the iguana...maybe so...not entirely sure I trust the soy burger I tried in an attempt at eating healthier. Wink

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
12-04-2016, 06:12 PM
I'm in bed sick missing time with my son because people use the ER like a doctor's office. Why in the fuck to people go to the hospital for a fucking cold or the flu? There's not even really a point of going to your family doctor unless there's reasonable suspicion you've got strep throat or a sinus infection. I don't want your germs - stay the fuck home. It's not like we can do anything for it that you can't do at home with over the counter meds. A cold is not an emergency.

Angry

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
12-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Oh, and while I'm at it, cover your goddamn mouth. Just because I'm in the healthcare profession does NOT excuse you from coughing in my face. Assholes. And don't you fucking dare say it's my own fault for choosing to be a nurse. DONT COUGH IN MY FACE!

And a please and thank you is nice every now and then. I swear to fucking God, people have no manners.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 7 users Like Nurse's post
12-04-2016, 07:30 PM
(12-04-2016 06:17 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Oh, and while I'm at it, cover your goddamn mouth. Just because I'm in the healthcare profession does NOT excuse you from coughing in my face. Assholes. And don't you fucking dare say it's my own fault for choosing to be a nurse. DONT COUGH IN MY FACE!

And a please and thank you is nice every now and then. I swear to fucking God, people have no manners.

I plead guilty to the "please and thank you thing", in 1974 when my appendix ruptured. I was pretty miserable at the time, but after being biffed by a nurse about it, I did better. I appreciate what you are saying though, believe me.

And coughing in someone's face is something I expect from a sick pet, not a human being.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
12-04-2016, 08:52 PM
(12-04-2016 06:17 PM)Nurse Wrote:  And a please and thank you is nice every now and then. I swear to fucking God, people have no manners.
I always tell my nurses that. But then, my mother was on the nursing staff for almost three decades. And I had a real upbringing. The only medical person I didn't say that to was an asshole MD. Fuck that guy.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
12-04-2016, 10:30 PM
(12-04-2016 07:30 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(12-04-2016 06:17 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Oh, and while I'm at it, cover your goddamn mouth. Just because I'm in the healthcare profession does NOT excuse you from coughing in my face. Assholes. And don't you fucking dare say it's my own fault for choosing to be a nurse. DONT COUGH IN MY FACE!

I plead guilty to the "please and thank you thing", in 1974 when my appendix ruptured. I was pretty miserable at the time, but after being biffed by a nurse about it, I did better. I appreciate what you are saying though, believe me.

And coughing in someone's face is something I expect from a sick pet, not a human being.

I don't expect it from someone who is clearly miserable. But the whole "do this do that, get me this" ordering me around like I'm a goddamn slave is not ok. Family members are awful about it. I have shit to do, getting your wife a grape juice after you've called out four times already in the last hour and a half is at the bottom of my priority list, behind hanging blood in the room next door, calling report on my other patient, answering a phone call from the lab addressing why I haven't sent urine because *you* haven't pissed yet, giving directions to the family member that stops me in the hallway asking for directions to the cafeteria, dealing with an irate patient who isn't getting narcotics, making sure granny doesn't fall while I help her to the bedside commode because she's insisted she can get up and won't use a bedpan and can't walk to the bathroom, clarifying your med orders because the resident doesn't know what they're doing, charting that I've charted what I've just charted to satisfy Joint Commission and hospital requirements, just to name a few.

12-04-2016, 11:08 PM
(17-03-2016 12:30 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm just gonna whine:

I got three hours of broken sleep this morning. Ended up getting early because I was staaaarving. I have class at 2:45, so I have to leave in 30 minutes to make it on time. Sad

I so sleepy. I don't know how I'm gonna make it through a four hour lecture on how to appropriately triage. Not enough caffeine in the world...

Oh, and my post above was quite disjointed. I was a bit upset.

(12-04-2016 10:30 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(12-04-2016 07:30 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I plead guilty to the "please and thank you thing", in 1974 when my appendix ruptured. I was pretty miserable at the time, but after being biffed by a nurse about it, I did better. I appreciate what you are saying though, believe me.

I don't expect it from someone who is clearly miserable. But the whole "do this do that, get me this" ordering me around like I'm a goddamn slave is not ok. Family members are awful about it. I have shit to do, getting your wife a grape juice after you've called out four times already in the last hour and a half is at the bottom of my priority list, behind hanging blood in the room next door, calling report on my other patient, answering a phone call from the lab addressing why I haven't sent urine because *you* haven't pissed yet, giving directions to the family member that stops me in the hallway asking for directions to the cafeteria, dealing with an irate patient who isn't getting narcotics, making sure granny doesn't fall while I help her to the bedside commode because she's insisted she can get up and won't use a bedpan and can't walk to the bathroom, clarifying your med orders because the resident doesn't know what they're doing, charting that I've charted what I've just charted to satisfy Joint Commission and hospital requirements, just to name a few.

Hug If I'm ever dying of something horrible I'll ask for you Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-04-2016, 11:36 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2016 12:02 AM by Anjele.)
(12-04-2016 11:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-03-2016 12:30 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I'm just gonna whine:

I got three hours of broken sleep this morning. Ended up getting early because I was staaaarving. I have class at 2:45, so I have to leave in 30 minutes to make it on time. Sad

I so sleepy. I don't know how I'm gonna make it through a four hour lecture on how to appropriately triage. Not enough caffeine in the world...

Oh, and my post above was quite disjointed. I was a bit upset.

(12-04-2016 10:30 PM)Nurse Wrote:  I don't expect it from someone who is clearly miserable. But the whole "do this do that, get me this" ordering me around like I'm a goddamn slave is not ok. Family members are awful about it. I have shit to do, getting your wife a grape juice after you've called out four times already in the last hour and a half is at the bottom of my priority list, behind hanging blood in the room next door, calling report on my other patient, answering a phone call from the lab addressing why I haven't sent urine because *you* haven't pissed yet, giving directions to the family member that stops me in the hallway asking for directions to the cafeteria, dealing with an irate patient who isn't getting narcotics, making sure granny doesn't fall while I help her to the bedside commode because she's insisted she can get up and won't use a bedpan and can't walk to the bathroom, clarifying your med orders because the resident doesn't know what they're doing, charting that I've charted what I've just charted to satisfy Joint Commission and hospital requirements, just to name a few.

Hug If I'm ever dying of something horrible I'll ask for you Smile

When I am sick enough to end up in the ER I just want to be left alone and given a warm blanket (or two). I seem to always be freezing when I end up in the ER. I tend to know the drill since it's almost always kidney stones. Yes, please hook up an IV...I know my veins suck...I promise to be as cooperative as possible...just get the pain meds flowing. Get the scans done...give me drugs, let me go home. I might ask for a glass of water. I don't need the remote, I don't need anything else other than maybe pointing me to a restroom.

Nurses are welcome...they bring the drugs that bring the relief. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
13-04-2016, 12:21 AM
(12-04-2016 11:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-04-2016 11:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  Hug If I'm ever dying of something horrible I'll ask for you Smile

When I am sick enough to end up in the ER I just want to be left alone and given a warm blanket (or two). I seem to always be freezing when I end up in the ER. I tend to know the drill since it's almost always kidney stones. Yes, please hook up an IV...I know my veins suck...I promise to be as cooperative as possible...just get the pain meds flowing. Get the scans done...give me drugs, let me go home. I might ask for a glass of water. I don't need the remote, I don't need anything else other than maybe pointing me to a restroom.

Nurses are a welcome...they bring the drugs that bring the relief. Smile

I do all I can to get drugs for kidney stones...I have a tendency to make them an acuity 2 to get them back faster. Acute distress from pain is a legitimate 2, however it's often under prioritized because the person isn't dying. That being said, I won't make a back pain a 2 unless there are neuro deficits "loss of bowel or bladder function? Let's get you to a bed, nothing to eat or drink for you until you're cleared by neurosurgery..." I may place a patient with stones on a hall bed, but they'll get drugs and IV fluids faster than a six hour lobby wait for a room. Save the rooms for stomach virus, contact/droplet/airborne precautions, bed bound patients, traumas, abscesses in the genital regions...basically patients that are going to be exposed whether through incontinence care or the chief complaint, or someone who is going to be puking/breathing/shitting contagious nastiness all over the floor.

It is typically mid 60s in our ER. With the exception of 80 in the trauma bays.

[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
13-04-2016, 07:33 AM
So more rain in the forecast...why the fuck not.

We have to move the furniture out of the bedroom and tear up the carpet. The glass is so embedded that no amount of vacuuming will get it out.

Still haven't had an insurance adjuster out here to look at the house. I have taken a ton of pictures as did our contractor.

Here's an aerial shot of the town I live in taken by one of the Dallas news stations. We are now Tarpville.

[img][Image: Tarpville_zpsnqazhwoo.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post