Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
21-04-2016, 03:20 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(21-04-2016 03:12 AM)datr75 Wrote:  I have a rant. It has to do with a debate I watched between Sam Harris and William Craig at Notre Dame. The debate was on Morality and whether or not a deity must exist for morality to exist. I wanted to pull of my ears every time DR Craig would come to the conclusion that god must exist because it validated a foundation for moral concepts and duties; he continually repeated the same thing over and over. Over, over, over, and over. He (Dr. Craig) would not concede not even for one moment that Evil can exist if a deity did not exist. Nor could he comprehend that Morality could develop among humans as a behavior for survival, or as conscious rational beings not wanting undue suffering for anyone.
I find myself dumbfounded that there are so many extremely intelligent and accomplished people in this world that truly believe this hocus pocus bronze aged fairy tale. Its a slap in the face to logic and rational thought. I'm going to stop here because I feel that I am about to go into 327,764 tangent rants.

[Image: quote-smart-people-believe-weird-things-....jpg?w=850]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-04-2016, 09:19 AM
I feel like I should buy a suit.

[Image: oscar.png]
21-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Dumb ass people who claim not to be racist or homophobic because they are interracial and have a "lesbian" family member....

Then go on and on about how our society has become to focused on "me" and care nothing about tradition and how the state or federal government has no right to tell them how they should live.

I politely point out that people in her area of the country said similar things about MLK in 1964.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-04-2016, 10:58 AM
(20-04-2016 01:37 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  Is 29 young for a sand-worm? I'm sorry if I seem insensitive, I just don't have much experience with your kind.

Thanks it made me laugh, and about 1/3 of the way to old age, if I start living right. On the good front; MRI folks called back and scheduled. On the negative, have to cancel my Comparative class again.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2016, 11:02 AM
(21-04-2016 03:12 AM)datr75 Wrote:  Over, over, over, and over. He (Dr. Craig) would not concede not even for one moment that Evil can exist if a deity did not exist. Nor could he comprehend that Morality could develop among humans as a behavior for survival, or as conscious rational beings not wanting undue suffering for anyone. [...]

This is standard debating procedure for William Lane Craig, and has been for decades. He invariably starts proceedings by stating unequivocally—in varying degrees of subtlety—that the Christian god does exist, and that the Bible was effectively written by this god. Of course, this is a classic non sequitur, but WLC hopes most of his sycophantic audience members won't notice this fallacy of logic, or won't/can't understand what it is anyway.

You'll also notice that WLC demands to be the initial speaker 9 times out of ten. This gives him the obvious advantage of mounting a pre-emptive ad hominem attack on his opponent, and which he shamelessly takes advantage of.

I'm actually bemused by the fact that WLC is a very urbane, extremely intelligent, well-educated, and articulate individual. I sometimes wonder if he's nothing more than a physical manifestation of your typical internet troll?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
21-04-2016, 11:40 AM
(21-04-2016 11:02 AM)SYZ Wrote:  This is standard debating procedure for William Lane Craig, and has been for decades. He invariably starts proceedings by stating unequivocally—in varying degrees of subtlety—that the Christian god does exist, and that the Bible was effectively written by this god. Of course, this is a classic non sequitur, but WLC hopes most of his sycophantic audience members won't notice this fallacy of logic, or won't/can't understand what it is anyway.

You'll also notice that WLC demands to be the initial speaker 9 times out of ten. This gives him the obvious advantage of mounting a pre-emptive ad hominem attack on his opponent, and which he shamelessly takes advantage of.

I'm actually bemused by the fact that WLC is a very urbane, extremely intelligent, well-educated, and articulate individual. I sometimes wonder if he's nothing more than a physical manifestation of your typical internet troll?

Don't forget re-defining the terms of the debate, dictating his opponent's victory conditions and changing accepted definitions of words.

He's a dick.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 3 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
21-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Ranting corner
I really want to edit out my reply on the drive-by thread from the guy who calls himself stupid. Fuck being helpful. I should know better. This is what I get every time.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
21-04-2016, 08:21 PM
(21-04-2016 07:47 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I really want to edit out my reply on the drive-by thread from the guy who calls himself stupid. Fuck being helpful. I should know better. This is what I get every time.

Meh. How do you tell that the cabbage is rotten, until you take a bite? A lot of us responded, trying to help, right until he flamed into the atmosphere of reality. Laughat
22-04-2016, 02:44 AM
People are assholes.

There's no need to be a dick.

I'm finished with putting up with rude people, assholes, dicks, douchebags. My patience is gone. Fuck them all.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 6 users Like Nurse's post
22-04-2016, 03:15 AM
(21-04-2016 07:47 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I really want to edit out my reply on the drive-by thread from the guy who calls himself stupid. Fuck being helpful. I should know better. This is what I get every time.
Being helpful is a good thing, it's just that not everybody deserve help. Whinners looking for someone to tell them how great they are deserve scorn not help. Especially if they're so quick to draw, "nobody understands me" card.

But in a way I agree and that's why I try to avoid giving advices or help. Reccomending some good book? Yes. Giving life advices? No. I'm not qualified to do that nor I really care.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.