Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
11-05-2016, 05:19 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Not aimed at anyone here...

I don't know what to do with the feelings I have when you have the need to discuss your concern for others when you had none for me when I needed it most. I shouldn't have answered the phone. Next time, I won't.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
11-05-2016, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2016 08:07 PM by carol.)
(11-05-2016 12:02 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 08:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What I need at this point are nerves of steel. Undecided

It's still thundering and raining but for now the hail has stopped...will see how the rest of the night goes. Weeping

Hope it went well.... Sad
---
My little cheaters were at it again, but this time I watched and made note of it, and I'm making a spreadsheet on what they got wrong, because there were 3 versions of the Final...it's very interesting, after watching them talk and flip through that they got the same questions wrong, despite the questions being in a different order entirely, no? Thou Shallt Not Escape This Exam Unscathed.
some suggestions:
Did you move them right next to you, separate them, and put your desk right behind them in the back of the room? While you sit there, you can watch from behind during tests, and walk to the front for lessons. I would not let them sit near each other at all. Also use peer pressure against them- plan class rewards for certain behavior, and jump on the talking, cheating kids when they talk/cheat, and then the class will not get the reward- be it a movie or a snack or a chance to do something fun together- the class will become annoyed with them. If there is a class leader that the kids look up to, establish their support. Throughout the year, if you find problems, seat them differently- allow the kids who cooperate and 'earn points" to sit where they wish for good behavior, and also reward the well behaved with allowing them to make their own assignment up for extra credit- and give them special privileges. If you have kids who are bored, allow them to do assignments that are more complex and interesting to them.

The best way to control teen behavior is peer pressure- the class must become annoyed with them so they get into shape, and teens will respond to anything that allows them a bit of fun or a little freedom to choose a fun activity in the room. Like a class popcorn/movie- even an educational one- a few bags of candy, for exceptional group behavior, or a choice between assignments- after several weeks of the whole group's cooperation. Do not let the group talk you into rewarding them even if one person does not cooperate- the goal is peer pressure from the group towards the cheating/talking students.

If this ever happens again, the very first time, separate them, take them aside and tell them the next time ill be a trip to the principals office.

If you are dealing with college students, tell them that due to cheating ( do not discuss who when or where) the students will be assigned seats for every test, the class must be silent during tests, and the assigned seats will be random. Walk around during the test behind them it is important to always be behind them so they will not know when you will come up to them.
find a balance between being funny and entertaining, but very strict, have high expectations but also offer some great rewards and surprises, and get the class itself to control behavior.

Sorry if this comes across as bossy, I have taught a very long time and found my feet over time, and I think it so important that you find a solution right away because the rest of the class will not respect you or learn as well without your establishing these rules- the whole class will be much happier and learn so much more from you if they see it is a safe place to work hard and learn- the kids who want to are being dragged down when they hear and see the cheating and talking.

The last thing I want to say- please excuse my long rant about this- I feel strongly about this because you should be able to feel comfortable and happy in your own room! If I overstepped, please forgive me there may be reasons why you have to allow this behavior-hope that you find solutions!

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
11-05-2016, 07:22 PM
(11-05-2016 05:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Not aimed at anyone here...

I don't know what to do with the feelings I have when you have the need to discuss your concern for others when you had none for me when I needed it most. I shouldn't have answered the phone. Next time, I won't.

People suck.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-05-2016, 09:16 PM
(11-05-2016 07:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 05:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Not aimed at anyone here...

People suck.

Some of them make a Hoover vacuum cleaner seem like a positive pressure source. One of the best things we have purchased is a phone that announces the caller's name and number. If it isn't someone we recognize, it goes to voice mail, where the telemarketers usually hang up. Calls have started to drop off, finally.
11-05-2016, 09:19 PM
(11-05-2016 09:16 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 07:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  People suck.

Some of them make a Hoover vacuum cleaner seem like a positive pressure source. One of the best things we have purchased is a phone that announces the caller's name and number. If it isn't someone we recognize, it goes to voice mail, where the telemarketers usually hang up. Calls have started to drop off, finally.

That's the easy part...it's harder when it's family. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-05-2016, 10:11 PM
Is it wrong that I'm watching The Minions and enjoying it?

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-05-2016, 10:14 PM
(11-05-2016 09:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 09:16 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Some of them make a Hoover vacuum cleaner seem like a positive pressure source. One of the best things we have purchased is a phone that announces the caller's name and number. If it isn't someone we recognize, it goes to voice mail, where the telemarketers usually hang up. Calls have started to drop off, finally.

Oh. Blush Sorry.
11-05-2016, 11:05 PM
Ok, clearly I'm broken because I just Minions and it was totally fucking hysterical.

Sadcryface

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-05-2016, 11:19 PM
(11-05-2016 09:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 09:16 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Some of them make a Hoover vacuum cleaner seem like a positive pressure source. One of the best things we have purchased is a phone that announces the caller's name and number. If it isn't someone we recognize, it goes to voice mail, where the telemarketers usually hang up. Calls have started to drop off, finally.

Oh sister, I feel your pain. Can't walk away from the wreckage so easily when it's family Sad

Hug

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-05-2016, 12:16 AM
(11-05-2016 11:05 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Ok, clearly I'm broken because I just Minions and it was totally fucking hysterical.

Sadcryface

[Image: minionsonly2.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post