Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
12-05-2016, 03:02 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(12-05-2016 01:33 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 06:47 PM)carol Wrote:  *snips good advice*

Not bossy at all and much appreciated. I'll probably implement it next semester; this was the Final Exam. Talked with the Dept. Chair and even after watching, there are other steps that had to be taken to nail them for cheating and have it stick. Blah...but if things go at the current rate while I'm cross checking their answers, they don't need my help to fail this test. One would think that if you're going to go to the effort of cheating, you'd at least pass...

---

One story I read earlier on Live Action set off my BS detector anyhow, because it sounds like a God's Not Dead plot, with the evil liberal professor saying he'll fail a student for making her self expression project reflect her pro-life views; in the comments was one pro-choice person and here are some of the replies that person got (spelling is kept original), "NARAL hand puppet Samantha Bee", "abortion is muder, and those who support it are enablers", "You're just angry because you love dead babies and anything that might save a baby's life fills you with rage.", "you give the human race a bad name", "your thinking process is quite pathetic.", "you have zero humanity". *facepalm*

Thank you for your kindness, I have to admit that your posts made me furious at the little brats. I hope that they are properly punished and that your next class will be fun, and that you will not have to deal with such immature and selfish students. Let me know what happens to the little monsters, it may cheer me up. Big Grin

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like carol's post
12-05-2016, 03:11 PM
I just sneezed with a mouth full of Pepsi. Dodgy Happened too fast to completely clear the keyboard. Facepalm

12-05-2016, 05:41 PM
(12-05-2016 03:02 PM)carol Wrote:  Thank you for your kindness, I have to admit that your posts made me furious at the little brats. I hope that they are properly punished and that your next class will be fun, and that you will not have to deal with such immature and selfish students. Let me know what happens to the little monsters, it may cheer me up. Big Grin

Oh no, thank you for the kindness, I know the complaining about them could sound rather whiny on my part! And as for punishment...hopefully the lessons will come with me to the next class. After talking with my Dept. Chair, even though I watched them cheat, there's not enough if they challenged me for the board that would be assembled to take me seriously. Apparently I needed to stop them from entering the classroom until we talked in person after they didn't reply to my emails, then separate them physically after I suspected the cheating, and only then if I saw them try to look at notes, be able to give them a zero. For what it's worth though in maybe cheering up, they failed the Final cheating off one another on their own. Smile

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
12-05-2016, 06:12 PM
(12-05-2016 05:41 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 03:02 PM)carol Wrote:  Thank you for your kindness, I have to admit that your posts made me furious at the little brats. I hope that they are properly punished and that your next class will be fun, and that you will not have to deal with such immature and selfish students. Let me know what happens to the little monsters, it may cheer me up. Big Grin

Oh no, thank you for the kindness, I know the complaining about them could sound rather whiny on my part! And as for punishment...hopefully the lessons will come with me to the next class. After talking with my Dept. Chair, even though I watched them cheat, there's not enough if they challenged me for the board that would be assembled to take me seriously. Apparently I needed to stop them from entering the classroom until we talked in person after they didn't reply to my emails, then separate them physically after I suspected the cheating, and only then if I saw them try to look at notes, be able to give them a zero. For what it's worth though in maybe cheering up, they failed the Final cheating off one another on their own. Smile

Cheeky like fucks, I must say. May I ask what you teach? It seems like when I taught school, the Math and English (especially if new) teachers got it the worst.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
12-05-2016, 06:30 PM
(12-05-2016 05:41 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  

Good! In the future, if this happens occasionally in other classes, you will know the way to handle it. you were not whiny at all, just frustrated. From your reply, I would guess they are college students? I only guess that because parents did not get involved. Glad that they failed the final, does that mean they fail the class? Will you have to teach the same students next semester? If so, set up a seating chart the first day so they are separate and also set your desk so that you sit behind them. Best wishes for a better group next semester! Big Grin Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about teaching.

The biology of mind bridges the sciences - concerned with the natural world - and the humanities - concerned with the meaning of human experience. Eric Kandel
[+] 1 user Likes carol's post
12-05-2016, 07:34 PM
(12-05-2016 06:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Cheeky like fucks, I must say. May I ask what you teach? It seems like when I taught school, the Math and English (especially if new) teachers got it the worst.
Indeed. It makes me feel good they're paying about $21.50 an hour though; normally I feel bad about tuition costs. (And I assure you all, I am not seeing that cash.) It was an Intro to Criminal Justice course; as the new guy I got hit with 7 of them out of 8 classes this academic year.

(12-05-2016 06:30 PM)carol Wrote:  Good! In the future, if this happens occasionally in other classes, you will know the way to handle it. you were not whiny at all, just frustrated. From your reply, I would guess they are college students? I only guess that because parents did not get involved. Glad that they failed the final, does that mean they fail the class? Will you have to teach the same students next semester? If so, set up a seating chart the first day so they are separate and also set your desk so that you sit behind them. Best wishes for a better group next semester! Big Grin Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about teaching.
Yep, college Freshmen, so I was bound by a lot of educational law. Notice I never give any specific details that can be used (you noticed the parent thing, which hit the nail right on the head, so I'm betting you noticed this to)? Don't want a FERPA violation. Sadly don't fail the class, I set up a lot of in class assignments to keep people afloat if they were bad test takers. And I don't have them again probably, neither were criminal justice majors, so they were in there for a general education credit, which only our Intro counts for. And I'll probably take you up on that PM offer when I can!

12-05-2016, 07:42 PM
(12-05-2016 07:34 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 06:12 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Cheeky like fucks, I must say. May I ask what you teach? It seems like when I taught school, the Math and English (especially if new) teachers got it the worst.
Indeed. It makes me feel good they're paying about $21.50 an hour though; normally I feel bad about tuition costs. (And I assure you all, I am not seeing that cash.) It was an Intro to Criminal Justice course; as the new guy I got hit with 7 of them out of 8 classes this academic year.

(12-05-2016 06:30 PM)carol Wrote:  Good! In the future, if this happens occasionally in other classes, you will know the way to handle it. you were not whiny at all, just frustrated. From your reply, I would guess they are college students? I only guess that because parents did not get involved. Glad that they failed the final, does that mean they fail the class? Will you have to teach the same students next semester? If so, set up a seating chart the first day so they are separate and also set your desk so that you sit behind them. Best wishes for a better group next semester! Big Grin Feel free to PM me if you want to talk about teaching.
Yep, college Freshmen, so I was bound by a lot of educational law. Notice I never give any specific details that can be used (you noticed the parent thing, which hit the nail right on the head, so I'm betting you noticed this to)? Don't want a FERPA violation. Sadly don't fail the class, I set up a lot of in class assignments to keep people afloat if they were bad test takers. And I don't have them again probably, neither were criminal justice majors, so they were in there for a general education credit, which only our Intro counts for. And I'll probably take you up on that PM offer when I can!

I won't mention how I passed algebra 2 in college. TongueAngel

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-05-2016, 07:54 PM
It's humid.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
12-05-2016, 08:03 PM
(12-05-2016 07:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-05-2016 07:34 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Indeed. It makes me feel good they're paying about $21.50 an hour though; normally I feel bad about tuition costs. (And I assure you all, I am not seeing that cash.) It was an Intro to Criminal Justice course; as the new guy I got hit with 7 of them out of 8 classes this academic year.

I won't mention how I passed algebra 2 in college. TongueAngel

Did you ace the oral exam?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-05-2016, 08:17 PM
(12-05-2016 07:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I won't mention how I passed algebra 2 in college. TongueAngel

Oh dear...you blackmailed the professor by finding incriminating photos?