Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
22-05-2016, 03:19 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(22-05-2016 03:07 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 02:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  How do you tell a friend that their "writing" actually sucks.

It's beyond the editing the process and I'm not talking about syntax, spelling or grammar errors. I'm also not getting into the whole genre isn't my thing (she writes fantasy).

Part of the problem is to me that there isn't decent character development and the fact she frequently seems to forget what the character is doing. Like a character might be doing something or performing a task, but the next sentence has them in a completely different location and doing something different.

It's not as though this is a new chapter or even paragraph, it's the next damn sentence. After thinking on it, it seems that perhaps she took a break from writing and came back, but neglected to reread what she had written just before.

The whole book feels disjointed.

Should I be honest? Or should I just lie and say what she wants to hear..."it's a literary masterpiece."

Dodgy

Tell the truth, lying about how good a book is is how we get another twilight or dog forbid 50 shades of gray.

Yeah, I know. It's an uncomfortable discussion, but she's been up my ass about it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2016, 03:31 PM
(22-05-2016 02:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  How do you tell a friend that their "writing" actually sucks.

It's beyond the editing the process and I'm not talking about syntax, spelling or grammar errors. I'm also not getting into the whole genre isn't my thing (she writes fantasy).

Part of the problem is to me that there isn't decent character development and the fact she frequently seems to forget what the character is doing. Like a character might be doing something or performing a task, but the next sentence has them in a completely different location and doing something different.

It's not as though this is a new chapter or even paragraph, it's the next damn sentence. After thinking on it, it seems that perhaps she took a break from writing and came back, but neglected to reread what she had written just before.

Should I be honest? Or should I just lie and say what she wants to hear..."it's a literary masterpiece."

Dodgy
Depends on why she shared the book with you. Does she want critical feedback or is she just kind of saying, "look what I did!" If it's the latter, best to be supportive but noncommittal, praising the effort and whatever positives you can find. If she's looking for a critique, be honest, but it's still best to start out with something you think she did well before you point out the weaknesses. (At least that's my experience as a writer and teaching of writing, that very bad writers can get better, but not if they feel on the defensive immediately)
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
22-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Yeah us writerly types can be very sensitive. Blush That said, when I come to Rev asking him to read over my stuff, I am wanting to get better. So I want him to point out what does and doesn't work. It isn't always easy to hear about the things that aren't working (especially when it's something that I'm overly attached to) but it's necessary and helps me grow as a writer. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
22-05-2016, 04:20 PM
(22-05-2016 03:31 PM)julep Wrote:  

Dodgy
Depends on why she shared the book with you. Does she want critical feedback or is she just kind of saying, "look what I did!" If it's the latter, best to be supportive but noncommittal, praising the effort and whatever positives you can find. If she's looking for a critique, be honest, but it's still best to start out with something you think she did well before you point out the weaknesses. (At least that's my experience as a writer and teaching of writing, that very bad writers can get better, but not if they feel on the defensive immediately)

She self-published it (it's a real book, not digital download) and gave me a copy, so I could read it and give her my thoughts. She knows that fantasy isn't my thing -- it's a super involved story with lots of characters -- sorta like a Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings type of thing -- with Hunger Games tossed in.

I love a good story (really I do) but I would find it difficult to pick out parts I did like.

Twilight as a book was horrible, but at least you understood the characters early on and what the characters did seemed to make sense within the context of the story.

22-05-2016, 05:38 PM
(22-05-2016 04:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 03:31 PM)julep Wrote:  Depends on why she shared the book with you. Does she want critical feedback or is she just kind of saying, "look what I did!" If it's the latter, best to be supportive but noncommittal, praising the effort and whatever positives you can find. If she's looking for a critique, be honest, but it's still best to start out with something you think she did well before you point out the weaknesses. (At least that's my experience as a writer and teaching of writing, that very bad writers can get better, but not if they feel on the defensive immediately)

She self-published it (it's a real book, not digital download) and gave me a copy, so I could read it and give her my thoughts. She knows that fantasy isn't my thing -- it's a super involved story with lots of characters -- sorta like a Harry Potter meets Lord of the Rings type of thing -- with Hunger Games tossed in.

I love a good story (really I do) but I would find it difficult to pick out parts I did like.

Twilight as a book was horrible, but at least you understood the characters early on and what the characters did seemed to make sense within the context of the story.

In that case: get it over with. Be vague, say you don't read this genre much so you don't have much to say about the content, but talk about how great it looks (binding, paper), ask her how it's selling or what she's doing to market it, ask her about the mechanics of self-publishing, etc. Voila, done!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
22-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Ick. So I'm walking through the Target parking lot, hadn't showered since Thursday because I went camping, when a creepy guy who was at least 40 slows his SUV, gives me the 'I'm undressing you with my eyes' look, and says "Hey, are you married?" I refused to answer and kept on walking. He yelled, "Well, you should be."

You know what? Fuck you. It's not your business if I'm married. Who says I have to be married? Why the fuck do you think I want to talk to you in the middle of the parking lot? Go harass somebody else.

Does catcalling women actually work? Why the hell do these men think this is ok? I had my hair in a messy side braid, a cotton tee, jeans and boots on. I wasn't even wearing lipstick. Nothing about my outfit said, "Hey look at me and treat me like a hooker!"

This shit happens all the fucking time. It's gross.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
22-05-2016, 05:41 PM
(22-05-2016 05:39 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Ick. So I'm walking through the Target parking lot, hadn't showered since Thursday because I went camping, when a creepy guy who was at least 40 slows his SUV, gives me the 'I'm undressing you with my eyes' look, and says "Hey, are you married?" I refused to answer and kept on walking. He yelled, "Well, you should be."

You know what? Fuck you. It's not your business if I'm married. Who says I have to be married? Why the fuck do you think I want to talk to you in the middle of the parking lot? Go harass somebody else.

Does catcalling women actually work? Why the hell do these men think this is ok? I had my hair in a messy side braid, a cotton tee, jeans and boots on. I wasn't even wearing lipstick. Nothing about my outfit said, "Hey look at me and treat me like a hooker!"

The world is full of fucking assholes.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
22-05-2016, 05:43 PM
(22-05-2016 04:35 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Daily riddle with Muffs:

What has fewer holes the more holes you make?

Golf

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-05-2016, 06:01 PM
(22-05-2016 05:39 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Does catcalling women actually work?

I have wondered about this exact question. Consider

When I was super pregnant with my son (kid number three) I was waddling into a store in a strip mall and the construction workers at another store were hollering and whistling at me. I looked and felt like a beached whale. No What they thought they were accomplishing I will never understand.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
22-05-2016, 06:26 PM
(22-05-2016 05:39 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Ick. So I'm walking through the Target parking lot, hadn't showered since Thursday because I went camping, when a creepy guy who was at least 40 slows his SUV, gives me the 'I'm undressing you with my eyes' look, and says "Hey, are you married?" I refused to answer and kept on walking. He yelled, "Well, you should be."

It's the animal equivalent to dick waving. It probably somehow makes them feel more virile.

They'd probably be humiliated if they knew we all imagine them with a microdick and move on. Because you just know the guys who do that shit, got nothing else going on.

Hug

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post