Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
20-11-2012, 10:05 PM
RE: Ranting corner
OMG now I'm gonna rant more.

So dude tells me his first son was unplanned and he's now a great kid and he loves him, therefore, all unplanned pregnancy should be carried to term.

And yeah, it IS a huge problem, postpartum psychosis and shit like that, neglect, not being able to afford to support a child, etc.

And not to mention people like the lady in Ireland. People value the unborn more than the mothers. I find this very disturbing.

Also, dude said if you can't accept the possibility of getting pregnant, you shouldn't have sex, because sex makes babies. So I said, that's why we have birth control. and if BC fails, that's why we have morning after pill and finally, abortions. And then I said "That's why I've kept my whore legs shut for the past 13 years! No danger of getting pregnant!"

And the video makes a good point about delaying birth until the child is wanted and the parent(s) are in a financial situation allowing them to support and care for a child. It's not all about OMG no more babies will be born. WTF.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2012, 10:18 PM
(20-11-2012 10:05 PM)amyb Wrote:  OMG now I'm gonna rant more.

So dude tells me his first son was unplanned and he's now a great kid and he loves him, therefore, all unplanned pregnancy should be carried to term.

And yeah, it IS a huge problem, postpartum psychosis and shit like that, neglect, not being able to afford to support a child, etc.

And not to mention people like the lady in Ireland. People value the unborn more than the mothers. I find this very disturbing.

Also, dude said if you can't accept the possibility of getting pregnant, you shouldn't have sex, because sex makes babies. So I said, that's why we have birth control. and if BC fails, that's why we have morning after pill and finally, abortions. And then I said "That's why I've kept my whore legs shut for the past 13 years! No danger of getting pregnant!"

And the video makes a good point about delaying birth until the child is wanted and the parent(s) are in a financial situation allowing them to support and care for a child. It's not all about OMG no more babies will be born. WTF.
Exactly, and the thing is it is a person choice.
Just because abortions are legal (or if they were made legal) doesn't mean EVER mother is gonna go out and get an abortion.
There will still be teenage mothers simply because while it would not be the best time to have a baby in their lives, they are personally against abortion (even though its legal) and so choose to carry the baby through to term.

When people are opposed to abortion (like, reallly opposed) it's because they think that will become the main contraception when that it not the case at all. Abortion is still a procedure, I imagine it's nothing like going and getting your nails done.
NOT TO MENTION, it's the women's choice (wont get into male having a say because I'm not really sure where I stand on that front) and if she chooses to have an abortion then she has to live with that. I imagine women who have had abortions do not simply shrug it off. Nobody wants to be in that situation where abortion is the only option but sadly a lot of women are in that situation and so as society we should be supporting them in whatever decision they make rather then demonizing them if they make a decision contrary to our personal believes because they are the ones that live with the consequences, not us.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
20-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Correction Muffs, it should be a persons choice, it is not just yet.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-11-2012, 11:30 PM
(20-11-2012 09:30 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 08:03 AM)morondog Wrote:  So I got involved in an FB abortion debate. FML. Apparently I am advocating baby murder. Offers to pray for me in 3...2...

This is not something that I do, as a rule. But this friend of mine... keeps posting these fairly... passive-aggressive anti-abortion things and sometimes I rise to the bait. It was going OK until some asshat pitched up with the 'you so sinful' angle.
I've done this, and was called "cold and logical," and told the world is not cold and logical. I said it'd be a better place if it was. This was after repeated appeals to emotion fallacies, among other things, because dude could not come up with a good reason to be anti-choice, and actually stated that the woman's life doesn't matter anymore once she has a blastocyst in her uterus. My head exploded at that point.

Glad I don't get a lot of the anti-abortion things on there anymore though.
I just think it's important to show another side to the debate. Otherwise it's just 'abortion is sinful, praise Jesus' followed by a sycophantic chorus of 'hallelujah' etc. I'm not hella interested (probably should be, but such is life), but it grates me bad that there's no dissenting voice. So I try to be that voice once in a while. Sadly I think I do a poor job of it. But at least dissent is there. The bit I hate, is that I think maybe they know I do a bad job, so they deliberately lure me into their little web to give the argument some sort of semblance of credibility Sadcryface
20-11-2012, 11:36 PM
(20-11-2012 10:30 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Correction Muffs, it should be a persons choice, it is not just yet.
Really? Are you saying abortion is against the law in Australia?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
20-11-2012, 11:51 PM
As far as I am aware, it's not entirely legal in some states, but not illegal either.

Give me some time, I'll find out. Thumbsup

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-11-2012, 12:37 AM
(20-11-2012 11:51 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  As far as I am aware, it's not entirely legal in some states, but not illegal either.

Give me some time, I'll find out. Thumbsup
Fine. You get 36 hours and then I send Mr. Woof over to break your knee caps.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-11-2012, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2012 12:55 AM by Free Thought.)
I don't use them much anyway, I mostly sit on my bed playing games...

So... Does this count as an answer?

21-11-2012, 12:53 AM
(21-11-2012 12:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I don't use them much anyway, I mostly sit on my bed playing games...
Fair enough!

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-11-2012, 12:31 PM
(20-11-2012 10:18 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  When people are opposed to abortion (like, reallly opposed) it's because they think that will become the main contraception when that it not the case at all.
Yeah, and it's just an insane point of view. No sane person would choose abortion as their method of contraception, and those who would have one at all wouldn't think it was a fun thing they'd like to do all the time. It is a last resort. People don't seem to get that. Additionally, birth control fails sometimes. While I personally do not screw anymore, I think that contraception and the ability to have recreational sex is a good thing a lot of the time, and to guard against unwanted babies, we have things like the pill, sterilization, morning after pill, and as a last resort, abortion.

Dude also said to me, "What if that fetus grows up to be a great person?" What if he grows up to be Ted Bundy? So what? If you're gonna say a fetus has the potential to be great, why stop there? Why not call any man who masturbates or any woman who menstruates a mass murderer? After all, those sperms and eggs are potentially great people... I don't get the idea that having more babies is ALWAYS the best option. I'm more for quality of life than quantity of lives, I guess, especially since we have no shortage of human life on the planet.

Also, I hate it when people say something about a "spark of life" that happens during fertilization, like it's a magical thing and that's why abortion is wrong. Hate to break it to you, but it happens every day, countless times. It's not a miracle; it happens sometimes if you ejaculate inside a vagina. And if you don't have the baby now, you can put your penis in a vagina years from now and have the exact same thing happen (provided that you're both fertile. And if not, lots of babies out there up for adoption.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user