Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
31-05-2016, 06:43 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(29-05-2016 08:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh god. I've gone and done it.
I've fucking done it now. Oh god oh god oh god oh god. This is bad. This is really bad. I wanna throw up.
I don't understand why this is so nerve-racking. I really don't. I'm so nervous now it makes me look calm as a fucking Buddha monk when I was taking my exams.

First ever email sent to a potential supplier for my future business requesting information.
THIS SHOULD NOT BE SO NERVE-RACKING IT MAKES NO SENSE!

(29-05-2016 09:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm not excited, I fucking hate this shit. I'm so fucking nervous. Like what if they don't reply. Or they reply but tell me basically to fuck off and don't answer my questions.
What if I've fucked the pouch on the industries biggest supplier that represents EXCLUSIVELY (yay New Zealand..) a lot of large brands??

What then Girly!? WHAT THEN!

(29-05-2016 09:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  What if I asked the wrong things? Shit maybe my questions were too forward, something they'd only tell a reseller.
I've fucked the pooch. I'm gonna be stocking shelves the rest of my life miserable. I'm gonna turn 25 in less than a month and have nothing to my name but a shitty shelf stocking security job I work part time at barely making ends meat. ya know what I mean. Like this is a big fucking deal to me. If I get this information I can easily get the rest of the information I need, put together a business plan and fucking do something with my life. It fucking rests on this fucking email. This is not an excited time for me right now.
Shit I should not have done this hours before work.
Ok, now sit down, take a deep breath and calm the fuck down...

From the very few infos you gave in those posts I gather the following:
1. You want to start a business as a reseller.
2. Presumably, it's something to do with consumer goods.
3. You don't have your own company yet.
4. You contacted the biggest distributor in NZ for that kind of goods, a company which has the exclusive representation of some of the major, best known brands in the industry.
5. I presume you contacted them writing from a personal e-mail address.

Now, put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself: "Why would I want to answer this guy's message? What's in it for me?".

A big supplier of major brands wants essentially two things:
a. Sell a lot of stuff. And when I say a lot, it means a truckload.
b. Work with well-established companies/shops/retailers which already have a successful presence on the market.

Can an unknown guy writing them from a personal e-mail address fulfill those two criteria above? Really, can he? Maybe he can, but the odds are slim; why should they want to "waste" time and energy with this unknown guy when at any given time they probably have at least ten better prospects knocking at their door and begging them to supply their goods?

In my 20+ years as sales manager at an international level managing networks of distributors and resellers I've always disregarded enquiries coming from private individuals writing from their personal e-mail address because I know that 99 out of 100 are anyway not worth the time to reply and the 100th one could maybe have some potential, but it would require too much investment on my side. All the people I know in a position similar to mine have the same approach. Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is how it works in business.

Not all is bad, though. You clearly have the will, you just have to change strategy. Look for suppliers of similar goods from less-known brands; they will be more willing to work with a start-up. Develop the right marketing strategies and you'll find you will be able to carve a nice niche for yourself. Work hard for a few years and you may find yourself in a position where you may be a palatable business partner for that major supplier.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2016, 12:11 PM
I'm really starting to hate having to order books online because there aren't any bookstores around here any more....

Several weeks ago I ordered a book from a site that I've used often and never had a problem with. When a week went by with it still listed as 'processing' I contacted them and was told that the warehouse that the order first went to was out of stock but another warehouse had it. They gave me a choice: leave the order at the first warehouse and wait for re-supply or cancel the order and start over so that it would come from the other warehouse. I laughed and told them that if that was their idea of customer service they could keep it and to just refund my money.

On Friday May 20 I ordered it from another site, got a "shipped" notice on Monday and had the book a few days later. Today they emailed me to tell me that they had received the order and were processing it. I'm wondering how many copies I'll end up getting before they catch on...

Incompetence is fast becoming the de facto standard.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
31-05-2016, 05:22 PM
It's raining the garage again and other leaks are forming.

I am so done with this shit.

And the rain is supposed to continue all week. Who knows how much more damage we are going to have.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
31-05-2016, 05:26 PM
(31-05-2016 12:11 PM)unfogged Wrote:  I'm really starting to hate having to order books online because there aren't any bookstores around here any more....

Several weeks ago I ordered a book from a site that I've used often and never had a problem with. When a week went by with it still listed as 'processing' I contacted them and was told that the warehouse that the order first went to was out of stock but another warehouse had it. They gave me a choice: leave the order at the first warehouse and wait for re-supply or cancel the order and start over so that it would come from the other warehouse. I laughed and told them that if that was their idea of customer service they could keep it and to just refund my money.

On Friday May 20 I ordered it from another site, got a "shipped" notice on Monday and had the book a few days later. Today they emailed me to tell me that they had received the order and were processing it. I'm wondering how many copies I'll end up getting before they catch on...

Incompetence is fast becoming the de facto standard.

Have you tried this site?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
31-05-2016, 05:30 PM
It's time for the annual "Our son is home, let's put in the window a/c unit" festival with my parents. Basically I visit during the summer, they decide to wait for me to visit to put in their living room window unit on the second floor, because they need strength. Then dad ends up deciding I'm not doing well enough a job and takes over. We nearly drop a/c out window numerous times. There is much grunting, he strains a back muscle, I end up sore from clutching unit for dear life to keep it from going out the window. He swears next year he'll pay a neighbor kid or my best friend to put it in, next year rolls around, "Why would I pay when I got free labor?" Repeat cycle.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2016, 06:58 PM
(31-05-2016 06:43 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 08:48 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh god. I've gone and done it.
I've fucking done it now. Oh god oh god oh god oh god. This is bad. This is really bad. I wanna throw up.
I don't understand why this is so nerve-racking. I really don't. I'm so nervous now it makes me look calm as a fucking Buddha monk when I was taking my exams.

First ever email sent to a potential supplier for my future business requesting information.
THIS SHOULD NOT BE SO NERVE-RACKING IT MAKES NO SENSE!

(29-05-2016 09:00 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm not excited, I fucking hate this shit. I'm so fucking nervous. Like what if they don't reply. Or they reply but tell me basically to fuck off and don't answer my questions.
What if I've fucked the pouch on the industries biggest supplier that represents EXCLUSIVELY (yay New Zealand..) a lot of large brands??

What then Girly!? WHAT THEN!

(29-05-2016 09:04 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  What if I asked the wrong things? Shit maybe my questions were too forward, something they'd only tell a reseller.
I've fucked the pooch. I'm gonna be stocking shelves the rest of my life miserable. I'm gonna turn 25 in less than a month and have nothing to my name but a shitty shelf stocking security job I work part time at barely making ends meat. ya know what I mean. Like this is a big fucking deal to me. If I get this information I can easily get the rest of the information I need, put together a business plan and fucking do something with my life. It fucking rests on this fucking email. This is not an excited time for me right now.
Shit I should not have done this hours before work.
Ok, now sit down, take a deep breath and calm the fuck down...

From the very few infos you gave in those posts I gather the following:
1. You want to start a business as a reseller.
2. Presumably, it's something to do with consumer goods.
3. You don't have your own company yet.
4. You contacted the biggest distributor in NZ for that kind of goods, a company which has the exclusive representation of some of the major, best known brands in the industry.
5. I presume you contacted them writing from a personal e-mail address.

Now, put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself: "Why would I want to answer this guy's message? What's in it for me?".

A big supplier of major brands wants essentially two things:
a. Sell a lot of stuff. And when I say a lot, it means a truckload.
b. Work with well-established companies/shops/retailers which already have a successful presence on the market.

Can an unknown guy writing them from a personal e-mail address fulfill those two criteria above? Really, can he? Maybe he can, but the odds are slim; why should they want to "waste" time and energy with this unknown guy when at any given time they probably have at least ten better prospects knocking at their door and begging them to supply their goods?

In my 20+ years as sales manager at an international level managing networks of distributors and resellers I've always disregarded enquiries coming from private individuals writing from their personal e-mail address because I know that 99 out of 100 are anyway not worth the time to reply and the 100th one could maybe have some potential, but it would require too much investment on my side. All the people I know in a position similar to mine have the same approach. Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is how it works in business.

Not all is bad, though. You clearly have the will, you just have to change strategy. Look for suppliers of similar goods from less-known brands; they will be more willing to work with a start-up. Develop the right marketing strategies and you'll find you will be able to carve a nice niche for yourself. Work hard for a few years and you may find yourself in a position where you may be a palatable business partner for that major supplier.

Ok this is fair enough. But what else am I suppose to do, how else am I suppose to get this information? Plus I need to confirm they'd actually supply to me.

I need this information to see if the business is even feasible. So how can I even become a 'serious prospect' without it? It wouldn't take them long to answer my questions or send me a brochure or something. Hell, even if they told me to fuck off I could go from there.

There is no smaller supplier with different products. There's this supplier with these products and than there's about 5 other suppliers with more products.
But there's no counter-product or similar product to the ones I need from this company. And they hold a monopoly in the country for these products.

It's not like it's Coke and I can just go to Pepsi.

They probably have a legal requirement to supply to me actually if they hold exclusive rights to these products so the least they can do is send me some fucking information.

Annd fuck. I was re-reading their website and at the very bottom hidden in tiny tiny tiny print is their terms of trade, a copy of their terms of trade contract that answers pretty much every single one of my questions except price of goods.

Wow. I really really fucked the pooch on this. My life is actual over.
Now it looks like I haven't done my homework. Which I had, just not very well apparently. If you want me I'll be curled up in a ball in the corner over there.
01-06-2016, 02:34 AM
@istandwithhatespeech is trending on twitter. Makes me lose hope for humanity. Background info. EU made a deal with Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms to regulate and remove hate speech to stop extremeist from corrupting young minds. People taking it as censorship and risk of free speech.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
01-06-2016, 05:56 AM
(01-06-2016 02:34 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  @istandwithhatespeech is trending on twitter. Makes me lose hope for humanity. Background info. EU made a deal with Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms to regulate and remove hate speech to stop extremeist from corrupting young minds. People taking it as censorship and risk of free speech.

The problem is that hate speech has no definition. People who don't like what you say will call it hate speech. If I say that Mohammed the so called muslim profit was a pedophile, the muslims will classify that as hate speech. If I say that many of the people leaching off the system need to grow up and get jobs or be put to work by the government if they want to continue seeing a check, they would consider that hate speech. If you say that my comments are racist comments, then classify your comment as hate speech.
01-06-2016, 08:55 AM
(31-05-2016 05:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It's raining the garage again and other leaks are forming.

I am so done with this shit.

And the rain is supposed to continue all week. Who knows how much more damage we are going to have.

Awww crap that's just awful. Hug

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Tourist does not rhyme with florist. Angry

Theater does not rhyme with heater, and most definitely not with feeder. Facepalm

I could go on, but it just makes me apoplectic. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user