Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
05-06-2016, 03:05 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(05-06-2016 02:42 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 02:24 PM)julep Wrote:  My father, who knows we are all atheist, gave my son high school graduation presents today that included a Bible, a book on jail chaplaincy that my father wrote in the 1970s, and two extremely religious notes/cards that he evidently expected my son to read aloud to the table (we were at a restaurant after the ceremony, celebrating).

Kudos to my son: he read the notes silently to himself, nodded, smiled, and said thank you politely for the Bible and book. Thus was the my father's latest opportunity for witnessing to the heathen aborted.

But I--I am pissed. off. I have never once attempted to convince my father not to believe in god, never argued with him about religion, never given him an atheist book, never sent him a card promoting an atheist viewpoint. And he's gotten worse and worse over the last couple of years. I'm sick of this shit.

Angry Censored Sad

At least my son is now Smartass!

Dad sounds a bit passive-aggressive - no?

I do think having a book written by him is a good thing. Not for the content but because he wrote it. It's a keepsake sort of thing.

My quarrel isn't so much with the book. My son already had a copy because my father gave it to him this past Christmas.

The interesting thing about that book is that its introduction was written by someone who obviously disagreed with everything about my father's argument who somehow got strong-armed into putting 750 words on paper--he doesn't seem to have been a fan of my dad or the book. The book itself was basically my father's Th.D. dissertation for Bible college.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2016, 08:17 AM
Missed my flight. Angry

Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-06-2016, 08:39 AM
(06-06-2016 08:17 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Missed my flight. Angry

Weeping

Now you can wit for the next flight and be ready with the one millionth post.Big Grin

Sorry dude, that sucks. Being stuck in an airport is the worst.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-06-2016, 08:59 AM
I have to rant about dog food. My wife and I as petsitting a little yorkie. The owners sent him with a Walmart brand wet dog food. I won't name it, but anyone who is familiar with Walmart probably knows what they sell. I had to stand guard over the food bowls, so my dog wouldn't eat it. Not that she would. She sniffed his bowl, huffed and walked away to wait for hers. We feed ours a combination of wet and dry. Both high quality brands with no by-products. I compared the 2 cans. His almost resembled actual meat. Hers was clearly actual meat with a few carrots and other actual veggies. Mainly meat though, true steak tips. All of her food looks and smells like human quality food. In the event of disaster I would eat it. I have had problems in the past with watching my inlaws dog who also had inferior food with my dog trying it. My dog will throw up bad food within about 15 minutes without fail. I can switch brands at any time without warning as long as it is the same quality and she has no issues. Why do people poison their dogs?
06-06-2016, 09:17 AM
(06-06-2016 08:39 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 08:17 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Missed my flight. Angry

Weeping

Now you can wit for the next flight and be ready with the one millionth post.Big Grin

Sorry dude, that sucks. Being stuck in an airport is the worst.

If You don't win the internet I hope I do!

Now if we can figure out how to turn posts into dollars Consider

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-06-2016, 09:20 AM
(06-06-2016 08:59 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I have to rant about dog food. My wife and I as petsitting a little yorkie. The owners sent him with a Walmart brand wet dog food. I won't name it, but anyone who is familiar with Walmart probably knows what they sell. I had to stand guard over the food bowls, so my dog wouldn't eat it. Not that she would. She sniffed his bowl, huffed and walked away to wait for hers. We feed ours a combination of wet and dry. Both high quality brands with no by-products. I compared the 2 cans. His almost resembled actual meat. Hers was clearly actual meat with a few carrots and other actual veggies. Mainly meat though, true steak tips. All of her food looks and smells like human quality food. In the event of disaster I would eat it. I have had problems in the past with watching my inlaws dog who also had inferior food with my dog trying it. My dog will throw up bad food within about 15 minutes without fail. I can switch brands at any time without warning as long as it is the same quality and she has no issues. Why do people poison their dogs?

I've got a friend who insists that buying any type of processed dog food, regardless of price or quality is akin to poisoning the dog.

She cooks for her dogs.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-06-2016, 09:22 AM
I'm feeling disenchanted and disenfranchised at the moment, but hey ho its a first world problem.
06-06-2016, 11:09 AM
(06-06-2016 09:20 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 08:59 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I have to rant about dog food. My wife and I as petsitting a little yorkie. The owners sent him with a Walmart brand wet dog food. I won't name it, but anyone who is familiar with Walmart probably knows what they sell. I had to stand guard over the food bowls, so my dog wouldn't eat it. Not that she would. She sniffed his bowl, huffed and walked away to wait for hers. We feed ours a combination of wet and dry. Both high quality brands with no by-products. I compared the 2 cans. His almost resembled actual meat. Hers was clearly actual meat with a few carrots and other actual veggies. Mainly meat though, true steak tips. All of her food looks and smells like human quality food. In the event of disaster I would eat it. I have had problems in the past with watching my inlaws dog who also had inferior food with my dog trying it. My dog will throw up bad food within about 15 minutes without fail. I can switch brands at any time without warning as long as it is the same quality and she has no issues. Why do people poison their dogs?

I've got a friend who insists that buying any type of processed dog food, regardless of price or quality is akin to poisoning the dog.

She cooks for her dogs.

I feel your friend is mistaken. My wife had her own dog grooming business for a while before and after we met. We had a client that brought in 3 middle aged slow lethargic dogs about every 3 weeks to have their nails clipped. Every time she came in, she would have to drag them in the door. Not because they were hyper and wanted to go the other way or something. It was because they were slow tired animals with fatty tumors on their bodies. We told her the food was probably the cause and to switch to something like Blue Buffalo or similar quality food. She switched over and then it was about 3 months before we saw her again. The next time she came in, she was dragged through the door by her 3 dogs, the fatty tumors we almost gone most were gone and the others were a lot smaller. They were running around instead of trying to lay down all the time. It was as if she had switched dogs. While cooking will always be the best, because you can't be in complete control of what the dog food company puts in it. We keep posted on what is in the news and feel the brand we use is just about top of the line.
06-06-2016, 02:53 PM
(06-06-2016 11:09 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 09:20 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've got a friend who insists that buying any type of processed dog food, regardless of price or quality is akin to poisoning the dog.

She cooks for her dogs.

I feel your friend is mistaken. My wife had her own dog grooming business for a while before and after we met. We had a client that brought in 3 middle aged slow lethargic dogs about every 3 weeks to have their nails clipped. Every time she came in, she would have to drag them in the door. Not because they were hyper and wanted to go the other way or something. It was because they were slow tired animals with fatty tumors on their bodies. We told her the food was probably the cause and to switch to something like Blue Buffalo or similar quality food. She switched over and then it was about 3 months before we saw her again. The next time she came in, she was dragged through the door by her 3 dogs, the fatty tumors we almost gone most were gone and the others were a lot smaller. They were running around instead of trying to lay down all the time. It was as if she had switched dogs. While cooking will always be the best, because you can't be in complete control of what the dog food company puts in it. We keep posted on what is in the news and feel the brand we use is just about top of the line.

Where did I say I agreed?

I didn't. Sorry I'm cranky today and don't mean to be bitchy.

That said I buy an excellent quality dog food. I've always had to drag my dog into the groomers and the vet too. He just knows and hates it.

Also the fatty tumor thing...my dog is 14 and has them -- they're kinda common in old dogs of certain breeds. My dog is a pound mix...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Cooking for your dog???

If that's not a case of misplaced values, I don't know what is....

You know what your dog would REALLY like to eat????

Cat turds, a week old dead woodchuck, and a pile of vomit.................

It's not that dogs aren't picky --- they've just got a different set of values than human beings..............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.