People up here at work with pink eye 'n shit. Hobo

EA be like:

[Image: 68777178.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Escape Artist's post
09-06-2016, 01:07 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Nasty! Pink eye is extremely contagious. If they can assure you truthfully that they wash their hands properly, it might be OK for them to come to work. But the fact that they already have pink eye tells you that they don't.
09-06-2016, 06:39 PM
And my class got canceled for summer, after they gave my full one I was promised to another person whom I outrank (yay screwing me out of 3k). Yet another reason to look for a job elsewhere. Also my university only pays you once a month during the school year, not the summer, so I need to try and live on savings which (if my budget math is right) amounts to 2k more than my bills should be for June, July, August, and September. Don't get paid until October 1st. (Because I don't get paid until after working all of September.) Trying to find online adjunct jobs, but no luck.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2016, 06:46 PM
I am soooo glad my earbuds bit the dust because now I get to use the fucking headset that hurts my ears. Dodgy

09-06-2016, 06:58 PM
(09-06-2016 06:39 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  And my class got canceled for summer, after they gave my full one I was promised to another person whom I outrank (yay screwing me out of 3k). Yet another reason to look for a job elsewhere. Also my university only pays you once a month during the school year, not the summer, so I need to try and live on savings which (if my budget math is right) amounts to 2k more than my bills should be for June, July, August, and September. Don't get paid until October 1st. (Because I don't get paid until after working all of September.) Trying to find online adjunct jobs, but no luck.

Any chance of consulting work? Talk to friends who talk to friends to connect with someone who needs your expertise, even if it is outside academia. Beats asking if "someone want fries with that", to make ends meet. It also makes for fun anecdotes when you are back in the classroom. Though I spent little time with anecdotes, as there is only so much time to get the information to the students,and when I taught school, I took the fact that I was being paid to deliver that information pretty seriously. I wanted them to get their (parent's) money's worth.
09-06-2016, 09:03 PM
(09-06-2016 06:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Any chance of consulting work? Talk to friends who talk to friends to connect with someone who needs your expertise, even if it is outside academia. Beats asking if "someone want fries with that", to make ends meet. It also makes for fun anecdotes when you are back in the classroom. Though I spent little time with anecdotes, as there is only so much time to get the information to the students,and when I taught school, I took the fact that I was being paid to deliver that information pretty seriously. I wanted them to get their (parent's) money's worth.

Been putting out feelers for possible consulting work too. And updated my LinkedIn. Smile And yeah, I did the math one day for how much my students, their parents, or Uncle Sam were paying based on straight tuition, not counting the seemingly endless fees charged. It came out to close to $30 an hour (of which I assure everyone, I'm not seeing Tongue ). Then when I have students who literally miss 17 days in a 15 week semester, roughly $510, shake my head at how much money they've spent and not shown.

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
09-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Dear body: Can you stop being hyper-aware of yourself, please? K, thanks. Dodgy

09-06-2016, 10:20 PM
(09-06-2016 09:03 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 06:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Any chance of consulting work? Talk to friends who talk to friends to connect with someone who needs your expertise, even if it is outside academia. Beats asking if "someone want fries with that", to make ends meet. It also makes for fun anecdotes when you are back in the classroom. Though I spent little time with anecdotes, as there is only so much time to get the information to the students,and when I taught school, I took the fact that I was being paid to deliver that information pretty seriously. I wanted them to get their (parent's) money's worth.

Been putting out feelers for possible consulting work too. And updated my LinkedIn. Smile And yeah, I did the math one day for how much my students, their parents, or Uncle Sam were paying based on straight tuition, not counting the seemingly endless fees charged. It came out to close to $30 an hour (of which I assure everyone, I'm not seeing Tongue ). Then when I have students who literally miss 17 days in a 15 week semester, roughly $510, shake my head at how much money they've spent and not shown.

Right! But it isn't just about the money. My take on that monetary part comes from having grown up dirt poor. It's more so about the nuggets of knowledge, new insights that could change their lives with just that little bit. My horizons were so expanded when I went through the university that I couldn't believe it. I missed maybe three lectures in the time that I was at the university, all due to illness.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-06-2016, 03:13 PM
(09-06-2016 10:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Right! But it isn't just about the money. My take on that monetary part comes from having grown up dirt poor. It's more so about the nuggets of knowledge, new insights that could change their lives with just that little bit. My horizons were so expanded when I went through the university that I couldn't believe it. I missed maybe three lectures in the time that I was at the university, all due to illness.

Agreed on that as well; loved the knowledge aspect of things. (And still do.) I missed a similar amount of lectures for the same reason, plus one time when I was submitting some stuff for government purposes and for some reason the Feds seemed a bit more important than my Intro to Psych class I had a 99.98% in at the time.

Didn't grow up dirt poor, but definitely not rich. My mother was a school teacher in the 50th state in teacher pay and my dad is still in retail in his 60s; I got into undergrad (and stayed by keeping up the requirements) without loans only due to the PROMISE Scholarship in WV, and now the GOP legislature back home has defunded it. That's going to cause hundreds of kids to either take out high interest loans or be unable to attend university now. Sad I'm truly blessed though; hard work, scholarships, grants, working multiple minimum wage jobs, and some assistantships mean that I only had to take out loans during the doc program, while most of my contemporaries in the cohort were from rather wealthy families. One woman, for example, had a family who owned a sprawling estate in Pakistan, complete with "servants".

[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
10-06-2016, 03:25 PM
It's Friday and I'm tired.

Next week is going to be very, very looooooooong.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces