Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
27-06-2016, 02:55 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(27-06-2016 02:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 02:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Had to buy readers so I could read a label.

A fucking label. With teenie weenie print.

FML

You're awfully young for presbyopia. That's for middle-aged people. Wink

I know...I'm not yet 30.

Obviously I got married as a toddler. Tongue

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Cool

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-06-2016, 02:58 PM
(27-06-2016 02:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 02:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  You're awfully young for presbyopia. That's for middle-aged people. Wink

I know...I'm not yet 30.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Cool

Well people did get married younger back in the day (not so distant for sure) day... Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
27-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Forgot to rant about this one...

Friend asked me to look in on their great-aunt because they're on vacation. She's 95 and kinda a hoot.

So went over, figuring a quick stop, after I went grocery shopping. On the counter is an ancient Tupperware container with a chicken breast inside. The chicken was covered in ice and obviously freezer burned.

I said, "this chicken is awful. It's all freezer burned you can't eat that."

She replied, "Oh no dear that's just the protective ice covering, it'll be fine."

Yes, I went to my car and gave her some fresh chicken to cook.

She just called and thanked me, the chicken was amazing.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-06-2016, 03:25 PM
(27-06-2016 02:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 02:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  You're awfully young for presbyopia. That's for middle-aged people. Wink

That sadly can actually happen in this world

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
27-06-2016, 06:34 PM
My friend phoned to thank me for looking in on her great-aunt. I told her the story about the chicken and she laughed.

she said things should be fine until they get home, the aunt's "friend" will be around tomorrow. He's in his 70s.

She's practically robbing the cradle. Laugh out load

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-06-2016, 07:27 AM
(27-06-2016 01:16 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 11:22 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I had to ask a few times for help with things other were doing every day with ease. But then I know how to use an Etch-a-Sketch and a cash register with rows of buttons with just numbers on them and could calculate the tax in my head. Tongue

*and make change*

One job I had, just before I joined the US Navy, was as an accounting clerk for an insurance company. I used a Comptometer. https://www.google.com/search?q=comptome...8&oe=utf-8
Mine was made by Smith-Corona. One day the motor died, and the boss handed me a hand-crank to use until the repair man came out. Facepalm

I still know my multiplication tables through 20 by 20, and the squares of numbers through 50, by rote memory. The rest I can calculate in my head using algebra. Smartass

Making change seems to be pretty much a lost art. Rolleyes

That is because the general attitude of most employers (at least retail places like supermarkets and walmarts) is "We pay you to work, not to think.". I did about 16 years in the field of security. Thinking was discouraged. So happy not to be doing that anymore. The computers do all the math these days. I am still trying to get back what I lost in that dead end job.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
28-06-2016, 11:17 AM
The state has sent me a notice that I'm being denied my state tax refund (took them long enough) because I never responded to a request I never received for further ID verification documents. 60 days to appeal, and I will, but somehow I doubt that I'll get it, even with the proper paperwork and ID documents when my letter for the reason why I didn't provide it is a polite version of "because you never fucking sent me that notice/it never arrived".

28-06-2016, 02:10 PM
I was debating about posting this on Craigslist. Not sure if I should. It is basically a message to Christians. I am not attempting to insight violence, I am merely trying to get people to think.

"What happens when all you Christian pacifists are dangerously outnumbered by Islam? Clearly Christians will not even deport people with dangerous beliefs. How can we expect that if the shit should hit the fan and things turn violent here just like in the middle east, that they will actually defend themselves? It may take 20 years, but I think the oppression will begin. While I am an atheist, I am not a violent person. I also believe that when all attempts at diplomacy have failed, violence must be applied without apology. I would think that when your churches get bombed that you might protect yourselves, but I know better. There were once tons of Christians in the middle east. Now the number has dropped considerably and still the ones remaining will not match the violence they face. You will need someone that believes that they only have this one life to live and wants to continue living. I am not trying to insight violence. I am just trying to make a point. Christianity was dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century and is currently being dragged into the 21st. Christianity was once no less peaceful than Islam is now. I believe that you have come too far into the 20th century now, because you prefer to not even kill if the person is trying their best to kill you."
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
28-06-2016, 02:17 PM
(28-06-2016 11:17 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The state has sent me a notice that I'm being denied my state tax refund (took them long enough) because I never responded to a request I never received for further ID verification documents. 60 days to appeal, and I will, but somehow I doubt that I'll get it, even with the proper paperwork and ID documents when my letter for the reason why I didn't provide it is a polite version of "because you never fucking sent me that notice/it never arrived".

Wow, our state required the same thing of us, we had to answer questions about our previous tax returns to get our money.

Is this a thing now?

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-06-2016, 02:35 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2016 03:41 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(28-06-2016 02:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(28-06-2016 11:17 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The state has sent me a notice that I'm being denied my state tax refund (took them long enough) because I never responded to a request I never received for further ID verification documents. 60 days to appeal, and I will, but somehow I doubt that I'll get it, even with the proper paperwork and ID documents when my letter for the reason why I didn't provide it is a polite version of "because you never fucking sent me that notice/it never arrived".

Wow, our state required the same thing of us, we had to answer questions about our previous tax returns to get our money.

Is this a thing now?

I had never heard of it before now at least. And I filed both here and in the last state I was in, and they had no issue giving me the refund without asking for further ID. Sorry they bugged you all too, and I hope not to go through half the hassle you did. Sad
--
Edit: From another board I go to, yet another "invalid marriage" question thread. Some teen asking if it's permissible for her to talk to her aunt at a wedding reception where they'll both be guests, since the aunt is divorced with no annulment, and the man the aunt is dating is divorced with no annulment, or if she'd be causing "scandal". Facepalm One person said in one marriage thread, about not going to a family member's civil wedding, because it would be scandalous and invalid, something along the lines of, 'My conscience is clear that I've obeyed the precepts laid out, there's no need to think about what the heart may want.'

[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post