Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
26-07-2016, 07:30 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Goddamn it's a good thing I have no rent right now. The attorney wasn't cheap. Had no insurance for two months and had to pay for doctors visits and meds out of pocket. Then I had to replace my tires and my shocks. My ER copay was steep. Drained my account back down to living paycheck to paycheck ANd owing my parents money. Then today I learn that I have a $1200 deductible that has to be paid prior to my surgery on Thursday - my account is going to overdraft on the first and I won't be paid again until the 5th. My insurance is a fucking joke. I'd be better off with Obamacare by a long shot. My employer should be ducking ashamed of how much our benefits suck and how piss poor they treat the nurses. There's a reason we're over 400 nurses short - and it's not for lack of nurses in the area. Yeh, I love being tripled - that's NEVER acceptable in an ICU - it puts my license in jeopardy. Thanks to surgery I won't be able to pick up overtime to catch up on bills.

I hate this place. Fuck. This. Shit. Fuck my ex. I could have handled these expenses just fine if I hadn't had such a cut in my income because we're the lowest paid nurses in the nation. And some of the hardest working - we need a union. Any talks of that happening and you better believe your ass is fired. Complain about not getting 30 minute lunches? You can take as long a break you want when you are unemployed.

And my back fucking hurts. We don't even have tap systems to assist with turns. Pulling a rough foam wedge out from a 500 pound patient?!

FUCK the admins. I hope they die of sepsis from pressure ulcers.

Angry

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Nurse's post
26-07-2016, 07:40 PM
To clarify, fuck the *hospital admins.* I hope their pressure ulcers are a result of missed turns due to poor staffing ratios while trying to recover from post op infection after back surgery.

Not Moms and Stark.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
26-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Jesus...that sucks, like all of it. Sorry you're going through it. It probably says a lot about how much you did have in savings too, between the ER bill and the attorney bill; I know it was ridiculous what my cousin racked up recently in attorney fees for her divorce.

And know the feeling on owing parents money and such due to ridiculous pay and medical bills post insurance...30 years old, a "good" job with joke pay compared to a lot of people in my field, and they don't pay faculty here between July 1 and October 1 unless you do a summer class. Budgeted carefully and then had my summer class killed for lack of sign ups, then still had enough left over as long as nothing went wro--oh damn, my overpriced insurance didn't cover all of the sleep study. Had to borrow money from my parents to cover it.

Hope you at least get some relief from the surgery among the massive amounts of horrible stuff there. :/

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
26-07-2016, 10:54 PM
(26-07-2016 07:30 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Goddamn it's a good thing I have no rent right now. The attorney wasn't cheap. Had no insurance for two months and had to pay for doctors visits and meds out of pocket. Then I had to replace my tires and my shocks. My ER copay was steep. Drained my account back down to living paycheck to paycheck ANd owing my parents money. Then today I learn that I have a $1200 deductible that has to be paid prior to my surgery on Thursday - my account is going to overdraft on the first and I won't be paid again until the 5th. My insurance is a fucking joke. I'd be better off with Obamacare by a long shot. My employer should be ducking ashamed of how much our benefits suck and how piss poor they treat the nurses. There's a reason we're over 400 nurses short - and it's not for lack of nurses in the area. Yeh, I love being tripled - that's NEVER acceptable in an ICU - it puts my license in jeopardy. Thanks to surgery I won't be able to pick up overtime to catch up on bills.

I hate this place. Fuck. This. Shit. Fuck my ex. I could have handled these expenses just fine if I hadn't had such a cut in my income because we're the lowest paid nurses in the nation. And some of the hardest working - we need a union. Any talks of that happening and you better believe your ass is fired. Complain about not getting 30 minute lunches? You can take as long a break you want when you are unemployed.

And my back fucking hurts. We don't even have tap systems to assist with turns. Pulling a rough foam wedge out from a 500 pound patient?!

Angry

Sad Hug

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-07-2016, 12:08 AM
(26-07-2016 07:30 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Goddamn it's a good thing I have no rent right now. The attorney wasn't cheap. Had no insurance for two months and had to pay for doctors visits and meds out of pocket. Then I had to replace my tires and my shocks. My ER copay was steep. Drained my account back down to living paycheck to paycheck ANd owing my parents money. Then today I learn that I have a $1200 deductible that has to be paid prior to my surgery on Thursday - my account is going to overdraft on the first and I won't be paid again until the 5th. My insurance is a fucking joke. I'd be better off with Obamacare by a long shot. My employer should be ducking ashamed of how much our benefits suck and how piss poor they treat the nurses. There's a reason we're over 400 nurses short - and it's not for lack of nurses in the area. Yeh, I love being tripled - that's NEVER acceptable in an ICU - it puts my license in jeopardy. Thanks to surgery I won't be able to pick up overtime to catch up on bills.

Angry

Nurse, I don't think you are being objective here.

Clearly Locked In Syndrome or a slow death by FOP would be far better.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
27-07-2016, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 27-07-2016 02:22 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(27-07-2016 12:08 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Nurse, I don't think you are being objective here.

Clearly Locked In Syndrome or a slow death by FOP would be far better.

Best. Reply. Ever.

--
Not as worthy of Ranting Corner as Nurse's post, but...ever notice that when you have houseguests coming, your normal standard of "clean" is suddenly no longer "clean enough" in your mind? That's how I'm feeling as I clean. DVD is in its case, next to the X-Box One? Better put that on a bookshelf. Half empty water bottle? Better finish and toss it, or put it in the fridge. Bathroom rug by the toilet is a bit crooked? Better straighten it. Question yourself, "Do I have things in the fridge for everyone's tastes? I guess so...the kids and their parents surely will want something between water, orange juice, lemonade, and milk."

Do I have any random books sitting out? Oh, better move that 40k novel, cousin's husband doesn't approve of his kids being exposed to that sort of violence. Anything else sitting out still that he'd disagree with? My Despair Inc. calendar, but not taking that down. How's the coffee table look? Oh fudgenuggets, a copy of Dan Barker's Godless is sitting there. Listened to enough TTA podcasts to know what happens when you have The God Delusion or a similar book sitting on your coffee table when relatives come over. Best to stuff it in the closet with a few other books.

Minister guy is just going to have to deal with the Magic the Gathering and Harry Potter cards and books.

Edit: Cleaning is done/has been done. They're running late enough to have not yet texted that they've left their conference. With two kids, this is not surprising lol.

Edit 2: They are now more than two hours late and texting that the GPS says they'll be here in about 37 more minutes.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
29-07-2016, 09:11 AM
The old in-wall A/C unit in the bedroom has a broken switch and nobody carries it any more so I can't get it replaced. The one supplier I found who had 1 in stock said they had sold it just before I contacted them.

The exterior wall is mostly take up by sliding doors with only a narrow space on either side so I need a vertically-oriented unit and the only in-wall units anybody makes are horizontal and will not fit.

I can't repair it and I can't replace it. *^%&$^%$U%$&'

Anybody know if an AC designed for casement windows could be mounted in-wall? It looks like as long as the vents are far enough back to be clear it would work.

The only good thing is that the switch is stuck in one of the "on" positions so I can still use it by plugging and unplugging.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
29-07-2016, 09:24 AM
(29-07-2016 09:11 AM)unfogged Wrote:  The old in-wall A/C unit in the bedroom has a broken switch and nobody carries it any more so I can't get it replaced. The one supplier I found who had 1 in stock said they had sold it just before I contacted them.

The exterior wall is mostly take up by sliding doors with only a narrow space on either side so I need a vertically-oriented unit and the only in-wall units anybody makes are horizontal and will not fit.

Anybody know if an AC designed for casement windows could be mounted in-wall? It looks like as long as the vents are far enough back to be clear it would work.

The only good thing is that the switch is stuck in one of the "on" positions so I can still use it by plugging and unplugging.

That's not good for the plug or the outlet. What you could do is open the cord and (if it is 110V) split the hot wire and use an appropriately sized toggle switch there. Just run the cord into and out of a j-box, with the hot wire attached to the two switched terminals. The other two wires can just run around the switch. Or do you live where that is not allowed?
29-07-2016, 09:34 AM
(29-07-2016 09:11 AM)unfogged Wrote:  The old in-wall A/C unit in the bedroom has a broken switch and nobody carries it any more so I can't get it replaced. The one supplier I found who had 1 in stock said they had sold it just before I contacted them.

By "broken switch" -- do you mean the on/off -- a fan speed -- or the thermostat????

You can replace any of the three -- using other than original parts.........

And - can you use a "window shaker" through a wall???

Absolutely ----

I have one I use as the cooling unit for my walk-in freezer!!

I took out the original interior thermostat -- and used a 25 amp relay - and a mercury bulb thermostat (for furnaces) -- and by mounting the thermostat out of plumb (they have to be level to calibrate to the scale printed on the dial) -- I am able to calibrate the range from it's usual 55-95f down to 25-45 f.......

Works fine....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-07-2016, 09:43 AM
(29-07-2016 09:24 AM)Fireball Wrote:  That's not good for the plug or the outlet. What you could do is open the cord and (if it is 110V) split the hot wire and use an appropriately sized toggle switch there. Just run the cord into and out of a j-box, with the hot wire attached to the two switched terminals. The other two wires can just run around the switch. Or do you live where that is not allowed?

Thanks, if this goes on for any length of time I will rig a power switch rather than unplugging; that's just a short-term workaround. What I really want is to repair or replace it entirely (it's 27 years old so is pretty inefficient).

The broken switch is a 4-position off/low/hi/fan control that is set to low currently so it isn't just a simple on/off.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP