Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
21-08-2016, 08:24 AM
RE: Ranting corner
Just to be clear, I didn't actually kick my boss in the nutsack.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2016, 12:09 PM
(21-08-2016 08:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just to be clear, I didn't actually kick my boss in the nutsack.

You tickled it with a feather?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
21-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Fuck Alabama public schools. Did you know that we spend only $3 per gifted student? My son is bored out of his fucking mind and he's in one of the top public elementary schools in the state (ranked top 5). The private schools in the area are no better with their education, are expensive, and secular. With the exception of one, and I simply just cannot afford it at nearly $20K/year tuition.

If he were in Arizona, for example, he would be in a classroom doing work 2-3 years ahead of what he's doing now, and they would have started him off in those courses when he was in kindergarten.

But no, wouldn't want any child left behind...

YAY MEDIOCRITY!

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
21-08-2016, 01:14 PM
(21-08-2016 01:08 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Fuck Alabama public schools. Did you know that we spend only $3 per gifted student? My son is bored out of his fucking mind and he's in one of the top public elementary schools in the state (ranked top 5). The private schools in the area are no better with their education, are expensive, and secular. With the exception of one, and I simply just cannot afford it at nearly $20K/year tuition.

If he were in Arizona, for example, he would be in a classroom doing work 2-3 years ahead of what he's doing now, and they would have started him off in those courses when he was in kindergarten.

YAY MEDIOCRITY!

It is Alabama...you aren't surprised are you?

When my girls and I moved back to Iowa from Arizona the schools were pretty equivalent. Then we went to SC but they were in DoD schools on base. (A rarity even back then.) They were a little behind Iowa schools but not by much. When we moved off the Army base and they went to public schools in SC it was as though they were going backward at least a full grade in the instruction they were receiving.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
21-08-2016, 01:23 PM
(21-08-2016 01:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 01:08 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Fuck Alabama public schools. Did you know that we spend only $3 per gifted student? My son is bored out of his fucking mind and he's in one of the top public elementary schools in the state (ranked top 5). The private schools in the area are no better with their education, are expensive, and secular. With the exception of one, and I simply just cannot afford it at nearly $20K/year tuition.

YAY MEDIOCRITY!

It is Alabama...you aren't surprised are you?

When my girls and I moved back to Iowa from Arizona the schools were pretty equivalent. Then we went to SC but they were in DoD schools on base. (A rarity even back then.) They were a little behind Iowa schools but not by much. When we moved off the Army base and they went to public schools in SC it was as though they were going backward at least a full grade in the instruction they were receiving.

Not surprised. Just frustrated. The main industry here is engineering - there are brilliant children walking the halls and it's as if we're giving them just enough education so they can be prepared to ask "would you like to biggie size that?" for a living. These are minds capable of doing something like utilizing crystallography to dialyze the HIV virus to extinction. But no. Let's review 10+8=18 in second grade for children who were doing that in preschool.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
21-08-2016, 01:32 PM
(21-08-2016 01:23 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 01:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It is Alabama...you aren't surprised are you?

Not surprised. Just frustrated. The main industry here is engineering - there are brilliant children walking the halls and it's as if we're giving them just enough education so they can be prepared to ask "would you like to biggie size that?" for a living. These are minds capable of doing something like utilizing crystallography to dialyze the HIV virus to extinction. But no. Let's review 10+8=18 in second grade for children who were doing that in preschool.

I understand. Some states and even some school districts in the 'good' states offer a dismal education.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

21-08-2016, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2016 01:46 PM by Gloucester.)
(21-08-2016 01:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 01:23 PM)Nurse Wrote:  Not surprised. Just frustrated. The main industry here is engineering - there are brilliant children walking the halls and it's as if we're giving them just enough education so they can be prepared to ask "would you like to biggie size that?" for a living. These are minds capable of doing something like utilizing crystallography to dialyze the HIV virus to extinction. But no. Let's review 10+8=18 in second grade for children who were doing that in preschool.

I understand. Some states and even some school districts in the 'good' states offer a dismal education.
And I thought the English system was bad!

Sad

We do have our problems. But we also have things lime STEM, scientists, technologists, engineers and mathematicians, with tailor made kit, visiting schools to do projects with them. Though never enough.

I support my local schools as best I can with kit and donations for special, unbudgettable, stuff.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
21-08-2016, 02:14 PM
That STEM volunteer idea sounds interesting. Once I get a little more time, I may approach the local school district about that. I taught as a substitute here in the '90s, and it looked like a pretty good school district, in terms of what I was expected to teach. The kids always wanted to hear what I did in the service, as a distraction from getting educated by the substitute. It didn't work.
21-08-2016, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 21-08-2016 02:23 PM by Gloucester.)
(21-08-2016 02:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:  That STEM volunteer idea sounds interesting. Once I get a little more time, I may approach the local school district about that. I taught as a substitute here in the '90s, and it looked like a pretty good school district, in terms of what I was expected to teach. The kids always wanted to hear what I did in the service, as a distraction from getting educated by the substitute. It didn't work.

Check out their website, https://www.stem.org.uk if you haven't already done do. It may give you ideas and leverage.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
21-08-2016, 02:21 PM
STEM is huge here in the school district where we live. My older granddaughter and bonus granddaughter both attend school here.