Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
21-08-2016, 03:19 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(21-08-2016 02:20 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 02:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:  That STEM volunteer idea sounds interesting. Once I get a little more time, I may approach the local school district about that. I taught as a substitute here in the '90s, and it looked like a pretty good school district, in terms of what I was expected to teach. The kids always wanted to hear what I did in the service, as a distraction from getting educated by the substitute. It didn't work.

Check out their website, https://www.stem.org.uk if you haven't already done do. It may give you ideas and leverage.

I'm in sunny southern California, but I'm sure I can glean something from this. Maybe even a paying gig. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2016, 05:54 AM
(21-08-2016 01:23 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(21-08-2016 01:14 PM)Anjele Wrote:  It is Alabama...you aren't surprised are you?

When my girls and I moved back to Iowa from Arizona the schools were pretty equivalent. Then we went to SC but they were in DoD schools on base. (A rarity even back then.) They were a little behind Iowa schools but not by much. When we moved off the Army base and they went to public schools in SC it was as though they were going backward at least a full grade in the instruction they were receiving.

Not surprised. Just frustrated. The main industry here is engineering - there are brilliant children walking the halls and it's as if we're giving them just enough education so they can be prepared to ask "would you like to biggie size that?" for a living. These are minds capable of doing something like utilizing crystallography to dialyze the HIV virus to extinction. But no. Let's review 10+8=18 in second grade for children who were doing that in preschool.

That is the ultimate goal. Haven't you noticed how dumb the population is becoming? Discontented smart people would rise up and take back the government. People just smart enough to do one job well, will never revolt because they are not smart enough to see a need.
22-08-2016, 07:24 AM
(22-08-2016 05:54 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Haven't you noticed how dumb the population is becoming? Discontented smart people would rise up and take back the government. People just smart enough to do one job well, will never revolt because they are not smart enough to see a need.

Irony meter broken Laugh out load

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Thst dumbing down inflicts all corners.

With the exception of a few recordings, plus maybe the odd prog on some catch-up channel online, I have not watched TV for 12 years now. Got to the point where it took all week recording enough stuff for one evening. Maybe I am too picky but soaps, unreality shows, gardening/cooking progs, sports, music, dance shows etc stuffed most of the channels.

The arts, science (but not, not natural history please, little originality there, see one cheetah chase . . .) and a few other genres left not a lot of choice. So either nose in book or a few, carefully selected, videos. Mostly the book.

The anti-social media plays its "bread and cicuses" part as well.

So, still books but also places like this fine establishment, somewhere that I can originate patterns of my own and play them off against others. Um, think there's a mucked up metaphor in there.

The chance to appreciate and be appreciated - thanks folks!

And I haven't touched a drop of happy juice since Saturday.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 2 users Like Gloucester's post
22-08-2016, 04:39 PM
The one time I'm sick as a dog just so happens to be the one time I used some annual leave.
I could have called in sick and actually have been sick for once.
22-08-2016, 04:45 PM
Life sucks...

Busy...

Not around much and I'm sorry guys. Heart to everyone.

Anything really good happens tho...shoot me a pm. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-08-2016, 04:50 PM
(22-08-2016 04:45 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Life sucks...

Busy...

Not around much and I'm sorry guys. Heart to everyone.

Anything really good happens tho...shoot me a pm. Tongue

Hug
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
23-08-2016, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2016 12:48 AM by Gloucester.)
------------boy------------
boy-{{{Mom}}}-boy
------------boy------------

Just noticed this is my hundred and oneth post and I have been promoted! Big Grin

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
23-08-2016, 05:20 PM
I wish I had a subscription to the National Catholic Register, just so I could cancel it out of protest. They fired two of their best writers because the two weren't worshiping at the altar of the Lord Most High, Our Savior, the Risen One True God, Donald Trump. (Probably just blasphemed, sorry Lord.) American Catholicism, in particular the more Traditional members, has this issue where they can't differentiate Catholic and Republican. More than a few dozen actually times, I've been told I'm not a real Catholic/going to Hell for being a registered Democrat. Now that Trump has had a "change of heart" about being pro-life, we're all apparently supposed to shower him with our votes, no matter that almost everything else he likes, stands against the social teachings of the Catholic Church. And the comments regarding the firing of the writers are utterly vitriolic; one of the writers is a mother of TEN and "Catholics" who are rejoicing are also criticizing how she'll undoubtedly have to go on welfare now, and how "Surely she's familiar with how to game the system". Perhaps the best comment I've seen is, "They were fired for refusing to bow the Magisterium of the GOP, not the Church".

Fun fact, the type of folks mainly behind the movement to oust these two? Are a hate group according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Seriously NCR, your actions are just going to drive more people away from the church, from God, and from everything you stand for; hell, your actions in the name of God make a much more pointed case for atheism than Harris, the late Hitchens, Dawkins, and Dennett can do.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2016, 05:37 PM
(23-08-2016 05:20 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I wish I had a subscription to the National Catholic Register, just so I could cancel it out of protest. They fired two of their best writers because the two weren't worshiping at the altar of the Lord Most High, Our Savior, the Risen One True God, Donald Trump. (Probably just blasphemed, sorry Lord.) American Catholicism, in particular the more Traditional members, has this issue where they can't differentiate Catholic and Republican. More than a few dozen actually times, I've been told I'm not a real Catholic/going to Hell for being a registered Democrat. Now that Trump has had a "change of heart" about being pro-life, we're all apparently supposed to shower him with our votes, no matter that almost everything else he likes, stands against the social teachings of the Catholic Church. And the comments regarding the firing of the writers are utterly vitriolic; one of the writers is a mother of TEN and "Catholics" who are rejoicing are also criticizing how she'll undoubtedly have to go on welfare now, and how "Surely she's familiar with how to game the system". Perhaps the best comment I've seen is, "They were fired for refusing to bow the Magisterium of the GOP, not the Church".

Fun fact, the type of folks mainly behind the movement to oust these two? Are a hate group according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Seriously NCR, your actions are just going to drive more people away from the church, from God, and from everything you stand for; hell, your actions in the name of God make a much more pointed case for atheism than Harris, the late Hitchens, Dawkins, and Dennett can do.

Thumbsup Cites "The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse" in a post! Evil_monster

heeheeheeheeheeheehee
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post