Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
23-08-2016, 09:36 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(23-08-2016 05:37 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 05:20 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I wish I had a subscription to the National Catholic Register, just so I could cancel it out of protest. They fired two of their best writers because the two weren't worshiping at the altar of the Lord Most High, Our Savior, the Risen One True God, Donald Trump. (Probably just blasphemed, sorry Lord.) American Catholicism, in particular the more Traditional members, has this issue where they can't differentiate Catholic and Republican. More than a few dozen actually times, I've been told I'm not a real Catholic/going to Hell for being a registered Democrat. Now that Trump has had a "change of heart" about being pro-life, we're all apparently supposed to shower him with our votes, no matter that almost everything else he likes, stands against the social teachings of the Catholic Church. And the comments regarding the firing of the writers are utterly vitriolic; one of the writers is a mother of TEN and "Catholics" who are rejoicing are also criticizing how she'll undoubtedly have to go on welfare now, and how "Surely she's familiar with how to game the system". Perhaps the best comment I've seen is, "They were fired for refusing to bow the Magisterium of the GOP, not the Church".

Fun fact, the type of folks mainly behind the movement to oust these two? Are a hate group according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. Seriously NCR, your actions are just going to drive more people away from the church, from God, and from everything you stand for; hell, your actions in the name of God make a much more pointed case for atheism than Harris, the late Hitchens, Dawkins, and Dennett can do.

Thumbsup Cites "The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse" in a post! Evil_monster

heeheeheeheeheeheehee

You just keep hoping... Tongue Though in all fairness, probably should watch or read something by Harris at some point, having done so for the other three. Dennett really doesn't strike as that "militant" the way some Christians have described the Four Horsemen; Dawkins work is brilliant in the field of biology (and I cited him in a paper that's being sent out for review this week) and The God Delusion isn't as acerbic as I anticipated. Hitch is...well, there's a reason for the term Hitch Slap.

Edit: Darnit, hate when I push the ranting thread to a new page, makes me feel whiney.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2016, 09:19 AM
(23-08-2016 09:36 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 05:37 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Thumbsup Cites "The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse" in a post! Evil_monster

heeheeheeheeheeheehee

You just keep hoping... Tongue Though in all fairness, probably should watch or read something by Harris at some point, having done so for the other three. Dennett really doesn't strike as that "militant" the way some Christians have described the Four Horsemen; Dawkins work is brilliant in the field of biology (and I cited him in a paper that's being sent out for review this week) and The God Delusion isn't as acerbic as I anticipated. Hitch is...well, there's a reason for the term Hitch Slap.

Edit: Darnit, hate when I push the ranting thread to a new page, makes me feel whiney.

Harris is different. You may like his writing style more
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
24-08-2016, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2016 12:49 PM by Shai Hulud.)
(24-08-2016 09:19 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(23-08-2016 09:36 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  You just keep hoping... Tongue Though in all fairness, probably should watch or read something by Harris at some point, having done so for the other three. Dennett really doesn't strike as that "militant" the way some Christians have described the Four Horsemen; Dawkins work is brilliant in the field of biology (and I cited him in a paper that's being sent out for review this week) and The God Delusion isn't as acerbic as I anticipated. Hitch is...well, there's a reason for the term Hitch Slap.

Harris is different. You may like his writing style more
Barnes and Noble's site claims Letter to a Christian Nation is at my local store, may try to pick it up tomorrow. That said, American Atheists' website claims their magazine is sold at that B&N too and I've still never found a copy.

Edit: Took me 20 minutes to find the book, it wasn't in the usual section. It was mixed in with fiction.

The saga of trying to get this machine for my Sleep Apnea continues:
1) Sleep study two months ago, terrifying results, told they're going to order a bipap immediately.
2) Two months goes by with nothing but sleep study bill.
3) Call doc's office, leave message asking about status.
4) Get apologetic call back, say they accidentally didn't send raw data needed to bipap people. They faxed it then; told to expect phone call from bipap folks on Monday.
5) Thursday, still no phone call, call doc's office who claims bipap people got the raw data so from now on I need to call them.
6) Call bipap people, they say doctor's office has never faxed data and they'll call them back.

Need to think of a witty signature.
26-08-2016, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2016 05:31 AM by unfogged.)
Fuck all fucking project fucking managers who don't fucking know what they are fucking doing and don't fucking manage the fucking project but just fucking sit around fucking bitching that the fucking work isn't fucking done. Neverfuckingmind that there's no fucking resources and no fucking coordination and no fucking planning and that the fucking requirements for the fucking technical specs were fucking set by fucking non-technical people so the fucking things can't work they way they fucking want it to because they picked the wrong fucking tools for the fucking job and don't fucking care as long as it fucking works which it fucking won't.

TL/DR version: Fuck!

Edited to get rid of the fucking smiley!

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
26-08-2016, 05:18 AM
(26-08-2016 04:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Fuck all fucking project fucking managers who don't fucking know what they are fucking doing and don't fucking manage the fucking project but just fucking sit around fucking bitching that the fucking work isn't fucking done. Neverfuckingmind that there's no fucking resources and no fucking coordination and no fucking planning and that the fucking requirements for the fucking technical specs were fucking set by fucking non-technical people so the fucking things can't work they way they fucking want it to because they picked the wrong fucking tools for the fucking job and don't fucking care as long as it fucking works which it fucking won't.

TLBig GrinR version: Fuck!
Bin there, but never all at once, thank fuck!

Smile

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
26-08-2016, 06:03 AM
(26-08-2016 04:55 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Fuck all fucking project fucking managers who don't fucking know what they are fucking doing and don't fucking manage the fucking project but just fucking sit around fucking bitching that the fucking work isn't fucking done. Neverfuckingmind that there's no fucking resources and no fucking coordination and no fucking planning and that the fucking requirements for the fucking technical specs were fucking set by fucking non-technical people so the fucking things can't work they way they fucking want it to because they picked the wrong fucking tools for the fucking job and don't fucking care as long as it fucking works which it fucking won't.

Textbook case -- of product development, being led by the guys in marketing....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-08-2016, 06:09 AM

So, situation normal. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
26-08-2016, 06:57 AM

Needs moar fuck. Tongue

For reals, though: Hug

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
26-08-2016, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 26-08-2016 10:23 AM by Gloucester.)
(26-08-2016 06:03 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

Textbook case -- of product development, being led by the guys in marketing....

Big Grin
Don't talk to me about marketing! Censored

At my last job we had this so called Marketting Manager. We designed an insertable probe for a quick check on the flow through pipes up to 2m diameter. About 1000 times cheaper than a full 2m flowmeter, even though we had a 300% mark'-up on the price!

The marketing moron estimated we would sell 10 a year. My boss had a word with the customers' engineers and we sold a hundred in the first month, 600 in the first year before we touched exports.. My boss did not get the commission though.

Moron's other skill was selling specials, units that cost more in time and effort than we could ever charge for them.

He was feted with a full staff presentation for his 30 years of wasting company money and called "Mr Flow".

I tried to work out how to change the "o" for an "a" but could not get close enough to the plaque.

Evil_monster

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
27-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Fucking City of Miami. Just received the Proposed Property Taxes for 2016...fuck!
If no budget change is adopted my property taxes “only” go up 10%, if the budget change is approved then 19% and we’re not talking chump change here, I’m talking many thousands of dollars.

It has to come from somewhere. I can’t raise rents by 10-18%! I try to stay up with a inflation so I only do a 3% yearly increase. This means the balance comes out of my pocket. It wouldn’t be so bad if it wasn’t every fucking year...Jesus H Christ. This is how cities move out the low income folks by gentrification.

Gentrification is a general term for the arrival of wealthier people in an existing urban district, a related increase in rents and property values, and changes in the district's character and culture. The term is often used negatively, suggesting the displacement of poor communities by rich outsiders.

I run clean, well maintained apartment buildings and cater to the low income segment of the community but I won’t continue if it becomes a money losing proposition. I’ll be forced to sell the properties to a developer who will come in, raze it and build a higher rent building and all the tenants will have to go somewhere else. Many will leave the city altogether, too expensive.

The irony is that the largest line item increase is a State mandated school tax, by itself it makes up 50% of the total increase. Go figure. The State is right to allocate more tax dollars to education but by raising the taxes at an insurmountable pace of 10-18% per year they are indirectly negatively affecting those who need it most. Huh

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post