Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
27-08-2016, 10:48 AM
RE: Ranting corner
That moment when a customer assumes you're some freakin PHD certified botanist when you're just a cashier working in the garden center of a hardware store.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Loom's post
27-08-2016, 10:57 AM
(27-08-2016 10:48 AM)Loom Wrote:  That moment when a customer assumes you're some freakin PHD certified botanist when you're just a cashier working in the garden center of a hardware store.

I'm sorry, but I laughed. I am sure I have been guilty of the same. I will be more mindful in the future.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
27-08-2016, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2016 11:09 AM by Loom.)
(27-08-2016 10:57 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(27-08-2016 10:48 AM)Loom Wrote:  That moment when a customer assumes you're some freakin PHD certified botanist when you're just a cashier working in the garden center of a hardware store.

I'm sorry, but I laughed. I am sure I have been guilty of the same. I will be more mindful in the future.
It's not like I don't know about the basics on plants, especially as far as care goes (I garden myself), but I just had a lady bring in some generic stick with some generic leaf on it and got upset when I couldn't identify it Facepalm

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
27-08-2016, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 27-08-2016 06:49 PM by Anjele.)
(27-08-2016 11:04 AM)Loom Wrote:  
(27-08-2016 10:57 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I'm sorry, but I laughed. I am sure I have been guilty of the same. I will be more mindful in the future.
It's not like I don't know about the basics on plants, especially as far as care goes (I garden myself), but I just had a lady bring in some generic stick with some generic leaf on it and got upset when I couldn't identify it Facepalm

I assure you that you know more than I do about plants. I often buy plants just to bring them home to die...a green thumb is something I do not possess...I think everyone knows more about plants than I do.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
27-08-2016, 06:23 PM
I've never felt the desire to walk out of Mass before, but boy were people jerkwads there today. I got to church early, so I was reading outside until the doors were unlocked. A volunteer saw me reading (on the benches outside the parish that it put in for people to be able to sit down and enjoy the sunlight on) and lit into me, "Why are you out here reading? You should be inside praying! You need to get into the church!" Kinda glad he didn't know what the book Letter to a Christian Nation in my hands was about. But hey, that's just one volunteer, one cranky volunteer doesn't mean anything.

Go in, pray, enjoy the air conditioning. Start reading some more when I hear an elderly man yelling. Look up and see this old man berating two women behind him, "I can't pray with you two talking! Where's the respect for people praying?" They tried to apologize and he just talked over them. An usher started asking him to calm down, and got, "You think you're man enough? You want to go outside? You're not stopping me from praying!" A few of us started edging towards it, but he just turned around and went back to praying. At that point I was getting disgusted. Then during the homily as the priest says he may take a bit of time to get to his point, the woman next to me lets out this loud dramatic sigh of disapproval, having been sitting there the whole time with her arms crossed. and kept sighing repeatedly throughout...the homily btw? 10 minutes. Nothing compared to the 1.5 hour ones of my Baptist youth.

Anyhow, sorry, just wanted to rant.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2016, 06:26 PM
(27-08-2016 06:23 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I've never felt the desire to walk out of Mass before, but boy were people jerkwads there today. I got to church early, so I was reading outside until the doors were unlocked. A volunteer saw me reading (on the benches outside the parish that it put in for people to be able to sit down and enjoy the sunlight on) and lit into me, "Why are you out here reading? You should be inside praying! You need to get into the church!" Kinda glad he didn't know what the book Letter to a Christian Nation in my hands was about. But hey, that's just one volunteer, one cranky volunteer doesn't mean anything.

Go in, pray, enjoy the air conditioning. Start reading some more when I hear an elderly man yelling. Look up and see this old man berating two women behind him, "I can't pray with you two talking! Where's the respect for people praying?" They tried to apologize and he just talked over them. An usher started asking him to calm down, and got, "You think you're man enough? You want to go outside? You're not stopping me from praying!" A few of us started edging towards it, but he just turned around and went back to praying. At that point I was getting disgusted. Then during the homily as the priest says he may take a bit of time to get to his point, the woman next to me lets out this loud dramatic sigh of disapproval, having been sitting there the whole time with her arms crossed. and kept sighing repeatedly throughout...the homily btw? 10 minutes. Nothing compared to the 1.5 hour ones of my Baptist youth.

You can quit. Tongue
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
27-08-2016, 06:27 PM
(27-08-2016 06:23 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I've never felt the desire to walk out of Mass before, but boy were people jerkwads there today. I got to church early, so I was reading outside until the doors were unlocked. A volunteer saw me reading (on the benches outside the parish that it put in for people to be able to sit down and enjoy the sunlight on) and lit into me, "Why are you out here reading? You should be inside praying! You need to get into the church!" Kinda glad he didn't know what the book Letter to a Christian Nation in my hands was about. But hey, that's just one volunteer, one cranky volunteer doesn't mean anything.

What were you doing in church anyway?Gasp
27-08-2016, 06:54 PM
(27-08-2016 06:27 PM)excitedpenguin Wrote:  

What were you doing in church anyway?Gasp

He's a church-going Catholic. And actually a pretty good guy. He takes my teasing him that he's here to go atheist with good grace.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
27-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Fireball got it, and I do find the teasing to be a bit funny. (Though as witnessed by the post, did take your advice to pick up something by Harris. Thanks for saying I'm a decent fellow.) Also, excitedpenguin, there's a great thread, that I keep hoping will be updated, Adventures of Nurse in Church where she goes so her parents will be happy/blissfully ignorant; the commentary is priceless and I think you'd enjoy it.

Pablo, I could, but will? Not for the foreseeable future. Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
27-08-2016, 07:16 PM
(27-08-2016 07:10 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Fireball got it, and I do find the teasing to be a bit funny. (Though as witnessed by the post, did take your advice to pick up something by Harris. Thanks for saying I'm a decent fellow.) Also, excitedpenguin, there's a great thread, that I keep hoping will be updated, Adventures of Nurse in Church where she goes so her parents will be happy/blissfully ignorant; the commentary is priceless and I think you'd enjoy it.

Pablo, I could, but will? Not for the foreseeable future. Tongue

Yeah, you are a good guy and your theism isn't something you are trying to force on anyone here - and that's appreciated.

Penguin may not realize that we do not exclude theists from the conversation here.

You followed us home; I guess we'll keep you. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post