Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
05-09-2016, 01:07 AM
RE: Ranting corner
Um. AFAIK there are multiple listings of the ten commandments with different orders and accepted numberings.

From wikipedia the first few are:
  • I am the Lord thy God
  • Thou shalt have no other gods before me
  • Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
  • Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
  • Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy

All of which seem pretty pointless Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2016, 03:58 AM
Fuck entitled assholes who flip their shit over the most trivial things possible.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
05-09-2016, 04:10 AM
(04-09-2016 12:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 10:29 AM)Jedi Senpai Wrote:  Does anyone else get annoyed by them?

Not really, they're very tasty Smile

Haha tasty?!
05-09-2016, 04:12 AM
(04-09-2016 03:41 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 10:29 AM)Jedi Senpai Wrote:  Ok, so I'm new here and this is my first post ever, so forgive me if i completely post this in the wrong place Big Grin

I have a little rant about missionaries. Actually it will probably be a long rant lol.

First let me start by saying that I used to be a Christian who at one point wanted to be a missionary. I legitimately wanted to live in a foreign country with some Christian organization spreading the gospel of Jesus, and actually, I did that for a year, but wanted to do it full time.

Well, now that I'm an atheist I find myself to be totally annoyed at missionaries, especially two of my old friends who are about to become full-time missionaries in another country. I hadn't spoken to either of them in years, but as a nice person I accepted the invite to their Facebook group, but I regret it now.

They continually post about what they will be doing with their organization and post about things happening in their life as they get ready to move and as they go through training, yet they don't care at all what is happening in my life.
But the thing that annoys me the most, and what really has me frustrated at missionaries is the constant request for money.

The post that really pissed me off was when they asked if people would be willing to give up one meal out a month to support them monthly. I know one meal out a month isn't really a lot, and heck i probably shouldn't eat out all that much anyways, but it shocked me that they had the audacity to ask people to sacrifice their hard earned money so that they could live in another country without even earning any of their own money while they are there.

I don't know if this bothers other people as much, but I think I may be sensitive to this topic. When I was growing up in church i went on several short term mission trips and always had to write letters to people to ask for support for the trip. I did it, but I always felt uneasy about asking people for money, even though they were my friends and family who were asking.

And when I was a little older I worked at a missionary training facility where missionaries would come and stay and get training, and boy did I meet some very rude people. I was really shocked that some of these people were about to move to foreign countries, sometimes third world countries to try and represent Christianity because they complained about everything, and I couldn't imagine how they were going to survive in another country. And some of these people had super nice macbooks and gadgets and all sorts of things that I could never afford, yet these people lived off other peoples money.

I guess I've been annoyed at the whole concept of missions for a while now, even before I was an atheist, but seeing that post from my friends just really annoyed me.

Anyways, that's my rant about missionaries. Does anyone else get annoyed by them?

I eat missionaries for lunch.... I wouldn't dare give up a meal to help them out.

But I can sympathize with your rant. On the one hand, I understand that if you don't arm people with the right tools, they can't get their job done. On the other hand, can't we focus on more important ways to spend our donation dollars?

I guess I understand donating money to charities and things and sure I don't mind helping people do good work but there's just something about missionaries. Maybe it's their entitlement or something. I do think know.
05-09-2016, 06:56 AM
(04-09-2016 11:50 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 09:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why not? Consider

Not the first two.

Here is a list from Aish.com. Tell me what's wrong with the first two and we can maybe discuss them.

Do not murder.
Do not steal.

Do not worship false gods.
Do not be sexually immoral.
Do not eat a limb removed from a live animal.
Do not curse God.
Set up courts and bring offenders to justice.

In the list I saw, the two god ones were first.

And you did not answer my question.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2016, 08:17 AM
(05-09-2016 12:53 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 11:50 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Here is a list from Aish.com. Tell me what's wrong with the first two and we can maybe discuss them.

Do not murder.
Do not steal.

Do not curse God.

Whats wrong? There is no reason given why i should follow any of them, any! That is wrong.

Don't follow them. I could give a shit. Just please don't murder me.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
05-09-2016, 08:18 AM
(05-09-2016 06:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-09-2016 11:50 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Here is a list from Aish.com. Tell me what's wrong with the first two and we can maybe discuss them.

Do not murder.
Do not steal.

Do not curse God.

In the list I saw, the two god ones were first.

And you did not answer my question.

Hmmm... I must have missed the question. What was it?
05-09-2016, 10:49 AM
I'm trying not to lose my sanity. I'm feeling a little unstable today. :/

☆☆☆
05-09-2016, 11:03 AM
(05-09-2016 10:49 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm trying not to lose my sanity. I'm feeling a little unstable today. :/

Me too. Undecided

Hug
05-09-2016, 11:16 AM
(05-09-2016 08:17 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(05-09-2016 12:53 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Whats wrong? There is no reason given why i should follow any of them, any! That is wrong.

Don't follow them. I could give a shit. Just please don't murder me.

I think you didnt understand what i meant. I will put it in different words.

You arent (necessarily) moral by just following proclamations of somebody else. By doing so you dont show morality but obedience. You become moral once you understand and decide for yourself that these rules are good.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 5 users Like Deesse23's post