Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
12-09-2016, 12:29 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Quote:Actually, I think it would take a great deal of sensitivity and care to respectfully handle the dead - if for no one but their loved ones. No one performs this in our homogenized American culture. In other cultures, family members bathe and clothe the dead person and physically put it's body into the ground or on a fire.
To me, once there's no life in there, it's just a thing. Someone's got to do something with it ... seems pretty cut and dried. Live people are messy but, dead ones - no fuss, no muss. Most likely, a fuck ton of paperwork, though. Shy

But you see how contrary we are about death? All of us, to some degree. You said some things about our culture not respecting the dead, then you said basically, it's just a slab of meat.

I know you were thinking, respect for the loved ones' sakes, but it's still kind of a weird mixed message, if only inside our own heads. We know the body is just an empty thing now, yet it (quite literally) seems to embody the very essence of the person we knew.

I guess to be seen mistreating the most prized possession of someone we loved is horrible, yet there is, to me, a sort of supernatural quality that our minds want to attach to that corpse. The possibility of ressurection? Fear of zombies? I don't know what it is, but I have very few qualms about being in an empty morgue with dead bodies, while I draw a specimen from one of them...and I have to admit there is a BIT of heebeejeebie there. It's minor, but I can't honestly say I don't feel something.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
12-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Quote:In a word, disease.

Avoidance of decay and disease would be evolutionarily selected for.

Yes, I get that, Chas. Perhaps it all morphed from there, certainly, but at this point in our evolution it seems to be something more than just fear of pestilence. There is a spooky aspect...I wonder if it comes from stories handed down of voodoo and hoodoo and all sorts of doo, plus in more recent times Hollyweird. Maybe it stems from the Resurrection, capital R? Whether old Hey-soos is your lord and savior or not, it has to scare the pants off of you when the bastard gets up and starts preaching again!

Gimme Hallelujah!
12-09-2016, 12:45 PM
I am really not terribly squeamish. I was introduced at an early age to post mortems performed on animals. But if you read all the duties of this job it also requires picking up bodies from facilities and cleaning labs. I could maybe do that...the dealing with the loved ones, etc. all of it combined is a bit too much for me. The 'creepy' factor is really not the biggest issue.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
12-09-2016, 12:47 PM
(12-09-2016 12:29 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Actually, I think it would take a great deal of sensitivity and care to respectfully handle the dead - if for no one but their loved ones. No one performs this in our homogenized American culture. In other cultures, family members bathe and clothe the dead person and physically put it's body into the ground or on a fire.
To me, once there's no life in there, it's just a thing. Someone's got to do something with it ... seems pretty cut and dried. Live people are messy but, dead ones - no fuss, no muss. Most likely, a fuck ton of paperwork, though. Shy

But you see how contrary we are about death? All of us, to some degree. You said some things about our culture not respecting the dead, then you said basically, it's just a slab of meat.
---

Well yes actually, if I didn't know the dead person, it would be a hollow slab of meat. To do the job, I do think I would have to in some ways, become detached from the notion that this is no longer a personality. It doesn't mean I wouldn't still care for and be respectful of the wishes of this fellow human... I just wouldn't be emotionally attached.

Emotionally, it would be very different if I knew the person - I might find it difficult to do the job with any efficiency.

I think emotions should be for dealing with the loved ones but with the body - just do the job. I know if I were the dead body, I'd want everything to be handled swiftly, no slip ups, and make certain my family isn't burdened with having to do much more than sign papers.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
12-09-2016, 12:54 PM
(12-09-2016 12:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am really not terribly squeamish. I was introduced at an early age to post mortems performed on animals. But if you read all the duties of this job it also requires picking up bodies from facilities and cleaning labs. I could maybe do that...the dealing with the loved ones, etc. all of it combined is a bit too much for me. The 'creepy' factor is really not the biggest issue.

I agree - that seemed like an extremely loaded down list. Would that position allow for hiring an assistant or two? That just seemed like a lot of different jobs for one person to do, unless it's in a sleepy little town where only five or six people die every couple of months. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
12-09-2016, 12:57 PM
(12-09-2016 12:45 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am really not terribly squeamish. I was introduced at an early age to post mortems performed on animals. But if you read all the duties of this job it also requires picking up bodies from facilities and cleaning labs. I could maybe do that...the dealing with the loved ones, etc. all of it combined is a bit too much for me. The 'creepy' factor is really not the biggest issue.

Absolutely, I get that about you anyway- you'd likely be more worried about the emotional upheaval than spooks, for sure.
I think it's what we're used to, to a large degree- human beings have an amazing ability to turn even the most terrible circumstance into just "ho-hum, another day at the office" given enough time and motivation. It's how we survive.

But I don't mean squeamish...I grew up on a ranch in the middle of nowhere Texas, we dealt with animals daily, and when someone got badly hurt we had to be first responders, as the true first responders were hours away. Blood and guts and body parts don't bother me at all. It's the...whatever you want to call it...we seem to attach to a person's shell who no longer has a driving force active inside it. We aren't afraid of cars that no longer run...
I'm sure it's just a leftover primal fear, for a very good reason...probably a transmogrified and embellished version of the fear of disease that Chas brought up. It's why Hollywood and ghost stories used the concept in the first place, not to mention voodoo and its ilk.

It's kinda fun to play with though. Evil_monster
12-09-2016, 01:19 PM
(12-09-2016 11:02 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 10:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  I guess... it would be comforting to know that the company was right behind you in a tight spot.

I'm sure they'd be willing to bend if you really drive the point home.

I'm only quoting Unfogged, but you guys are killin' me! Laugh out load Thanks for the laughs! Bowing

For the record, I did not take the job, in the end. Laugh out load
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
12-09-2016, 01:47 PM
(12-09-2016 11:32 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(12-09-2016 11:29 AM)kim Wrote:  Dodgy

I think I could do nearly anything as long as I limited it to a couple of years.
Eventually, it would just become repetitive and mundane. No one wants to end up feeling bored, hollow and unfulfilled, regardless of benefits.

It's just a job, not a relationship... right? Wink

I cannot be in charge of cadavers...even for a short while...I just can't. Weeping

Think about it:
  • They wont try to proselytize you
  • They wont ever disagree with you
  • They will never be misrepresenting what you tell them
  • They will never annoy you with their irrationality
  • They will never question your authority
  • They will never get into arguments with you, presenting endless fallacies
  • They will never accuse you of persecution
  • They will never troll you
  • They will never be misogynist towards you
  • etc
  • pp

Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
12-09-2016, 02:23 PM
(12-09-2016 11:29 AM)kim Wrote:  I think I could do nearly anything as long as I limited it to a couple of years.
Eventually, it would just become repetitive and mundane. No one wants to end up feeling bored, hollow and unfulfilled, regardless of benefits.

It's just a job, not a relationship... right? Wink

The fact that you posted that in reply to our little dildo derailment instead of Anjele's job listing made me do a double-take.

(12-09-2016 01:19 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I'm only quoting Unfogged, but you guys are killin' me!

Well, now we're back to working with cadavers...

Quote:For the record, I did not take the job, in the end. Laugh out load

Where ....
nah, too easy.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
12-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Quote:Well yes actually, if I didn't know the dead person, it would be a hollow slab of meat. To do the job, I do think I would have to in some ways, become detached from the notion that this is no longer a personality. It doesn't mean I wouldn't still care for and be respectful of the wishes of this fellow human... I just wouldn't be emotionally attached.

LOL this thread wanders back and forth between two...umm, disparate?...subjects. I've done a few double takes before sorting out the intent, Laughat

Back to dealing with the dead instead of the dildos...

People do need to distance themselves from the reality of this person's suffering, and they do it in several ways.

Anyone who works in the medical field- particularly emergency/trauma but really anywhere in medicine or first responder jobs, knows about the odd form of dark humor everyone develops. Before I realized that such humor was very compartmentalized, I remember telling several HILARIOUS stories at parties or functions and...well, in retrospect, they may not have been the best stories to tell at a wedding or funeral. For some reason floaters who explode at opportune times while a disliked supervisor is present and close cause some people to be ill.

Live and learn, I suppose.