Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
14-09-2016, 12:25 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Quote:I can play this game too. Parents that teach their kids to bully are made that way by kids that bullied them in their childhood. A nasty cycle indeed. I do not plan to make my kids bullies. I plan to teach them to go for the throat figuratively and if necessary physically as well.

I remember having all of these plans for how I was going to raise my kids, in response to things I experienced in my life.
But luckily, when you actually have kids, it changes you. You realize that you want your kids to be strong, but you don't want them living a life of hate, and perpetuating the very bullshit that you despised so much.

You mellow your approach, and give your kids the tools they need to prevail without turning them into douchebags. You think about the people who you respected and looked up to in your life, and you try to teach your kids to emulate them.

Unless you're just an idiot, of course, and want to condemn your kids to the same silly crap that you had to tolerate. Bully and Victim are NOT your only options.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like The Dark One's post
14-09-2016, 12:43 PM
(14-09-2016 12:07 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 11:17 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He'll raise his own kids to bully to be sure. Bully's aren't born that way, usually they're made that way by their parents.

Every single bully I knew had ducked up parents.

--- Quack

I can play this game too. Parents that teach their kids to bully are made that way by kids that bullied them in their childhood. A nasty cycle indeed. I do not plan to make my kids bullies. I plan to teach them to go for the throat figuratively and if necessary physically as well.

Not always. Some are just hypersensitive to anything they seem an injustice. Such as complaining constantly about people on welfare. Kids will often emulate their parents.

I've seen kids pick on other kids because they got free lunch at school. Some just feel they're entitled to do that. The parents were often just as as horrible as their offspring and blame the school.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-09-2016, 12:49 PM
(14-09-2016 12:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 12:07 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I can play this game too. Parents that teach their kids to bully are made that way by kids that bullied them in their childhood. A nasty cycle indeed. I do not plan to make my kids bullies. I plan to teach them to go for the throat figuratively and if necessary physically as well.

Not always. Some are just hypersensitive to anything they seem an injustice. Such as complaining constantly about people on welfare. Kids will often emulate their parents.

I've seen kids pick on other kids because they got free lunch at school. Some just feel they're entitled to do that. The parents were often just as as horrible as their offspring and blame the school.

Agreed- although you cannot lay 100% of the blame for such behavior at the parents' feet. Kids have many influences- and sometimes behavior like that isn't an indicator of anything, and isn't even a "bad" kid...it's just a kid experimenting, and after he feels bad about this, he'll never do it again. Unfortunately, some poor kid has to be the target of this experimentation. It's never going to stop- we're designed to do these things, for a variety of reasons. The best we can hope for is to keep it safe, and we'll fail in that sometimes. That's why you must teach your kids to be self confident and deal with these things, instead of shielding them from them.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
14-09-2016, 12:57 PM
(14-09-2016 12:49 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 12:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Not always. Some are just hypersensitive to anything they seem an injustice. Such as complaining constantly about people on welfare. Kids will often emulate their parents.

Agreed- although you cannot lay 100% of the blame for such behavior at the parents' feet. Kids have many influences- and sometimes behavior like that isn't an indicator of anything, and isn't even a "bad" kid...it's just a kid experimenting, and after he feels bad about this, he'll never do it again. Unfortunately, some poor kid has to be the target of this experimentation. It's never going to stop- we're designed to do these things, for a variety of reasons. The best we can hope for is to keep it safe, and we'll fail in that sometimes. That's why you must teach your kids to be self confident and deal with these things, instead of shielding them from them.

If the first thing a bully says to my kid has zero discernable effect on him/her and the first words out of my kids mouth in response makes the bully want to jump off a cliff, he/she will never say anything nasty to my kid again. I lived in a snobby town and the only thing those little shits understood was superior firepower. Make them want to cry just once and suddenly they either want to be your friend because you are now dominant or they will never even talk to/about you again. Either way it is a win.
14-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Quote:If the first thing a bully says to my kid has zero discernable effect on him/her and the first words out of my kids mouth in response makes the bully want to jump off a cliff, he/she will never say anything nasty to my kid again. I lived in a snobby town and the only thing those little shits understood was superior firepower. Make them want to cry just once and suddenly they either want to be your friend because you are now dominant or they will never even talk to/about you again. Either way it is a win.

Kids have lousy judgment- that's why we control their lives until they get old enough that we are no longer legally responsible for their actions.

When you teach a kid a concept like violence of action, it's like arming him with a weapon. Some kid makes a comment, normal teasing, and your kid lashes out as if he threatened his life- because kids make poor choices and often don't see consequences.
Now your kid is the bully, has no real friends, feels alienated, and lashes out even more as a defense.

You've just created...you. Congratulations.
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
14-09-2016, 02:15 PM
(14-09-2016 12:57 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 12:49 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Agreed- although you cannot lay 100% of the blame for such behavior at the parents' feet. Kids have many influences- and sometimes behavior like that isn't an indicator of anything, and isn't even a "bad" kid...it's just a kid experimenting, and after he feels bad about this, he'll never do it again. Unfortunately, some poor kid has to be the target of this experimentation. It's never going to stop- we're designed to do these things, for a variety of reasons. The best we can hope for is to keep it safe, and we'll fail in that sometimes. That's why you must teach your kids to be self confident and deal with these things, instead of shielding them from them.

If the first thing a bully says to my kid has zero discernable effect on him/her and the first words out of my kids mouth in response makes the bully want to jump off a cliff, he/she will never say anything nasty to my kid again. I lived in a snobby town and the only thing those little shits understood was superior firepower. Make them want to cry just once and suddenly they either want to be your friend because you are now dominant or they will never even talk to/about you again. Either way it is a win.

How many kids you got Birdbrain?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-09-2016, 02:32 PM
(14-09-2016 01:06 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:If the first thing a bully says to my kid has zero discernable effect on him/her and the first words out of my kids mouth in response makes the bully want to jump off a cliff, he/she will never say anything nasty to my kid again. I lived in a snobby town and the only thing those little shits understood was superior firepower. Make them want to cry just once and suddenly they either want to be your friend because you are now dominant or they will never even talk to/about you again. Either way it is a win.

Kids have lousy judgment- that's why we control their lives until they get old enough that we are no longer legally responsible for their actions.

When you teach a kid a concept like violence of action, it's like arming him with a weapon. Some kid makes a comment, normal teasing, and your kid lashes out as if he threatened his life- because kids make poor choices and often don't see consequences.
Now your kid is the bully, has no real friends, feels alienated, and lashes out even more as a defense.

No, someone says something to my kid and it has no visible effect. My kid says something back that hurts the bully, so the bully strikes physically, so my kid ends the fight physically. To be the first to throw a punch translates to being grounded or worse (arrested). To end the fight someone else starts is to be rewarded.
14-09-2016, 02:34 PM
(14-09-2016 02:32 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(14-09-2016 01:06 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Kids have lousy judgment- that's why we control their lives until they get old enough that we are no longer legally responsible for their actions.

No, someone says something to my kid and it has no visible effect. My kid says something back that hurts the bully, so the bully strikes physically, so my kid ends the fight physically. To be the first to throw a punch translates to being grounded or worse (arrested). To end the fight someone else starts is to be rewarded.

Of course you believe everything your precious kid tells you Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-09-2016, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2016 07:02 AM by Nurse.)
If I didn't need insurance as a court requirement for my son, I would quit. Today.

We have had three more people quit that were scheduled to work this weekend. Fuck my hospital. I'm one more 15 hour shift away from quitting and working for McDonald's.

I can't be the secretary, the doctor, the patient care tech, the lab tech, housekeeping, and still do my job, too. AND take assignments that should be 1:1 or take 3:1 assignments. Fuck that.

And fuck all the weekend shifts I'm working that are uncompensated - if I work Saturday, I should get paid a differential. I was told every 4th or 5th weekend. Not only do I not get to pick my shifts, but I'm only getting an entire weekend off every 4th weekend.

Abuse your employees and they all leave. The community has gotten word how much my hospital sucks - they're not even getting an application for each opening. When I first applied to this hospital 7 years ago, I beat out over 70 applicants for my position. The pay was a disgrace, the conditions abhor able. I got a whopping $0.80 raise in four years.

By the way, your nurse knows more than how to wipe an ass. I went to university for four years. My profession has come a long way since Florence Nightingale. Accounting for inflation, she probably got paid more and had s helluva lot less stress. When are people going to get the memo not to tell me how to do my job? A shiver is not a seizure. Yes they're going to cough on a vent, they're not choking. Maybe I'm not turning the propofol up because they just Brady'd into the 50s and their BP is soft, their urinary output is low and they just received contrast dye with a creatinine of 1.1 and your doctor is unreachable on Sunday's from 0800-1400 because he preaches and refuses to consult ANYONE and I have no orders for Ativan or pressors. But tell me I'm doing a shit job because I haven't wiped a little dried blood off your mom's neck from the central line insertion they did in the ED when she was crashing. Umm no, she's too unstable for me to clean it off because it'd be massaging her carotids.

Oh, yeh. I'm easily replaceable and they can get a new grad to do my job and be just as effective when everyone is a new grad and no one has a resource. And the doctors are still permitted to act like asshole gods of the universe and held unaccountable for their behavior or their jobs. How the hell is it MY responsibility to make sure they do their jobs and order DVT prophylaxis. They should do that when they write their admission orders. I've got too much shit going on with a new admit or hell just my day in general to add that to the list. And then have to ask it politely as to not insult them for implying they didn't do their job. Or to ask for meds without suggesting what I need so they won't intentionally not order it to be a possible aggressive asshole with a superiority complex.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
15-09-2016, 07:05 AM
(15-09-2016 06:56 AM)Nurse Wrote:  If I didn't need insurance as a court requirement for my son, I would quit. Today.

We have had three more people quit that were scheduled to work this weekend. Fuck my hospital. I'm one more 15 hour shift away from quitting and working for McDonald's.

I can't be the secretary, the doctor, the patient care tech, the lab tech, housekeeping, and still do my job, too. AND take assignments that should be 1:1 or take 3:1 assignments. Fuck that.

And fuck all the weekend shifts I'm working that are uncompensated - if I work Saturday, I should get paid a differential. I was told every 4th or 5th weekend. Not only do I not get to pick my shifts, but I'm only getting an entire weekend off every 4th weekend.

Abuse your employees and they all leave. The community has gotten word how much my hospital sucks - they're not even getting an application for each opening. When I first applied to this hospital 7 years ago, I beat out over 70 applicants for my position. The pay was a disgrace, the conditions abhor able. I got a whopping $0.80 raise in four years.

By the way, your nurse knows more than how to wipe an ass. I went to university for four years. My profession has come a long way since Florence Nightingale. Accounting for inflation, she probably got paid more and had s helluva lot less stress. When are people going to get the memo not to tell me how to do my job? A shiver is not a seizure. Yes they're going to cough on a vent, they're not choking. Maybe I'm not turning the propofol up because they just Brady'd into the 50s and their BP is soft, their urinary output is low and they just received contrast dye with a creatinine of 1.1 and your doctor is unreachable on Sunday's from 0800-1400 because he preaches and refuses to consult ANYONE and I have no orders for Ativan or pressors. But tell me I'm doing a shit job because I haven't wiped a little dried blood off your mom's neck from the central line insertion they did in the ED when she was crashing. Umm no, she's too unstable for me to clean it off because it'd be massaging her carotids.

Oh, yeh. I'm easily replaceable and they can get a new grad to do my job and be just as effective when everyone is a new grad and no one has a resource. And the doctors are still permitted to act like asshole gods of the universe and held unaccountable for their behavior or their jobs. How the hell is it MY responsibility to make sure they do their jobs and order DVT prophylaxis. They should do that when they write their admission orders. I've got too much shit going on with a new admit or hell just my day in general to add that to the list. And then have to ask it politely as to not insult them for implying they didn't do their job. Or to ask for meds without suggesting what I need so they won't intentionally not order it to be a possible aggressive asshole with a superiority complex.

They might be able to easily find someone to show up ---

But replacing experience and talent????

Naww...

Hug

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post