Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
07-10-2016, 04:09 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Good grief, hope it gets sorted out for him!! Ridiculous.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2016, 04:11 AM
Ok, doing a little research regarding this food container thingy.
Gotta admit, there is fuck all information regarding what I'm looking for so I'm mostly going off information for food trucks but the principle is basically the same so it all works.
If I can work out an accurate cost of how much this shit's gonna cost to set up I'll have a goal to work towards which is great incentive because you can actually gauge how far along you are to achieving ones goals. Currently I'm treading water so there's not much incentive to do anything.

Anyway, a few things I hadn't thought of. Air conditioning. Yea it's a comfort thing but if ya working with a hot cast iron kitchen appliance for 8-12 hours a day 6 days a week in a tiny 10ft container you're gonna start wishing you had it. So it's less about comfort and more about sanity I think, especially in the summer. 10ft metal box using hot machinery... yea, gonna want AC. Of course 10ft containers don't naturally come with AC so gonna have to install some roof thing. That's not gonna be cheap and will require power.
Second, lighting. If you have 1 serving window it's probably gonna be a little dark. This may or may not be needed but is certainly worth looking into. Anyway, it shouldn't be too expensive to install lighting. Just a matter of running a cable.

So, waffle iron, AC, lighting, bar fridge (for ingredients and toppings), drinks fridge and POS. I think it's safe to say I'm gonna need electricity.
So the question becomes, do I set up a generator and use diesel. It means having to fill it up, buy diesel, noise, smoke. Or do I set up a circuit breaker and connect to some commercial plug thing. It'll require having to pay for power, a location that allows for that and isn't powercut proof (not that that's a big deal).

This shit ain't cheap yo.
Thank god the profit margins on this sort of food is like 60-70%.
If I could sell 3 of these things at $5 a pop ($3.50 US) an hour, over an 8 hour day that's $120, over 6 days that's $720. -$288 for the cost of goods that's $432 a week. -$200 for my personal living expenses. That leaves $232 for the lease (which won't be much because it's a fucking 10ft shipping container), say $100. That leaves $132 for insurance, depreciation, maintenance, electricity, spoilage, marketing and any electronic transaction fees, all of which are all minor expenses (until they're not in the case of maintenance, but that's why you be sensible and put a little bit of money aside each week). Unless I'm missing something that is what I would consider the bare minimum, ramen profitability. 1 waffle every 20 minutes. I could sell a waffle every 20 minutes, right? That seems doable... I would hope.

Not taking into account soft drink sales and higher profit margins on different skews, such as adding different toppings which cost like $1 extra on the consumer end but cost me like an extra 15c resulting in higher profit margins.

Is it getting a head of myself to be thinking about how I could get a couple of these popping up all over the country, maybe franchise them out and maybe eventually upgrade to full blown restaurant/restaurant chain? Maybe expand into Australia, Singapore, Japan, Canada, the US. Ok that last part is defiantly getting a head of myself.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-10-2016, 04:29 AM
(08-10-2016 04:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Is it getting a head of myself to be thinking about how I could get a couple of these popping up all over the country, maybe franchise them out and maybe eventually upgrade to full blown restaurant/restaurant chain? Maybe expand into Australia, Singapore, Japan, Canada, the US. Ok that last part is defiantly getting a head of myself.

My first question would be "Have you ever used a waffle iron before?'

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
08-10-2016, 04:34 AM
(08-10-2016 04:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 04:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Is it getting a head of myself to be thinking about how I could get a couple of these popping up all over the country, maybe franchise them out and maybe eventually upgrade to full blown restaurant/restaurant chain? Maybe expand into Australia, Singapore, Japan, Canada, the US. Ok that last part is defiantly getting a head of myself.

Waffles fucking rule.

[Image: Truth%2BAbout%2BWaffles.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
08-10-2016, 04:54 AM
As of yesterday The Thinking Atheist website is being blocked at work, including through the guest WiFi network. Not all atheist websites just "The Thinking Atheist" website specifically. I usually just pop in and read a bit in the morning at work and then I read the forum on Saturdays in the afternoon in service when it is really slow, they haven't blocked any of the news websites I go to. It's going to be an extra boring day today, I'm curious if anyone else in the company has had a website blocked.

Also curious that after 4 years at the company it happened about a week after someone saw me on the site. Dodgy

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
08-10-2016, 05:49 AM
(08-10-2016 04:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Ok, doing a little research regarding this food container thingy.
Gotta admit, there is fuck all information regarding what I'm looking for so I'm mostly going off information for food trucks but the principle is basically the same so it all works.
If I can work out an accurate cost of how much this shit's gonna cost to set up I'll have a goal to work towards which is great incentive because you can actually gauge how far along you are to achieving ones goals. Currently I'm treading water so there's not much incentive to do anything.

Anyway, a few things I hadn't thought of. Air conditioning. Yea it's a comfort thing but if ya working with a hot cast iron kitchen appliance for 8-12 hours a day 6 days a week in a tiny 10ft container you're gonna start wishing you had it. So it's less about comfort and more about sanity I think, especially in the summer. 10ft metal box using hot machinery... yea, gonna want AC. Of course 10ft containers don't naturally come with AC so gonna have to install some roof thing. That's not gonna be cheap and will require power.
Second, lighting. If you have 1 serving window it's probably gonna be a little dark. This may or may not be needed but is certainly worth looking into. Anyway, it shouldn't be too expensive to install lighting. Just a matter of running a cable.

So, waffle iron, AC, lighting, bar fridge (for ingredients and toppings), drinks fridge and POS. I think it's safe to say I'm gonna need electricity.
So the question becomes, do I set up a generator and use diesel. It means having to fill it up, buy diesel, noise, smoke. Or do I set up a circuit breaker and connect to some commercial plug thing. It'll require having to pay for power, a location that allows for that and isn't powercut proof (not that that's a big deal).

This shit ain't cheap yo.
Thank god the profit margins on this sort of food is like 60-70%.
If I could sell 3 of these things at $5 a pop ($3.50 US) an hour, over an 8 hour day that's $120, over 6 days that's $720. -$288 for the cost of goods that's $432 a week. -$200 for my personal living expenses. That leaves $232 for the lease (which won't be much because it's a fucking 10ft shipping container), say $100. That leaves $132 for insurance, depreciation, maintenance, electricity, spoilage, marketing and any electronic transaction fees, all of which are all minor expenses (until they're not in the case of maintenance, but that's why you be sensible and put a little bit of money aside each week). Unless I'm missing something that is what I would consider the bare minimum, ramen profitability. 1 waffle every 20 minutes. I could sell a waffle every 20 minutes, right? That seems doable... I would hope.

Not taking into account soft drink sales and higher profit margins on different skews, such as adding different toppings which cost like $1 extra on the consumer end but cost me like an extra 15c resulting in higher profit margins.

Is it getting a head of myself to be thinking about how I could get a couple of these popping up all over the country, maybe franchise them out and maybe eventually upgrade to full blown restaurant/restaurant chain? Maybe expand into Australia, Singapore, Japan, Canada, the US. Ok that last part is defiantly getting a head of myself.

The cost of electrical power does not rise and fall as sharply as the cost of fuels like diesel.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
08-10-2016, 06:22 AM
(08-10-2016 04:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

I think considering the the waffle iron I wanna buy is like $2,000 no amount of pre-waffle iron experience will prepare me for the skills required to use that thing.

On the upside, it's a fucking waffle iron. It wont be hard to to quickly pick up and get the hang of.

[Image: oscar.png]
08-10-2016, 06:25 AM
(08-10-2016 06:22 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 04:29 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  My first question would be "Have you ever used a waffle iron before?'

I think considering the the waffle iron I wanna buy is like $2,000 no amount of pre-waffle iron experience will prepare me for the skills required to use that thing.

On the upside, it's a fucking waffle iron. It wont be hard to to quickly pick up and get the hang of.

Hire the Māori. Pay them in water.

#sigh
08-10-2016, 11:13 AM
(08-10-2016 04:54 AM)unsapien Wrote:  As of yesterday The Thinking Atheist website is being blocked at work, including through the guest WiFi network. Not all atheist websites just "The Thinking Atheist" website specifically. I usually just pop in and read a bit in the morning at work and then I read the forum on Saturdays in the afternoon in service when it is really slow, they haven't blocked any of the news websites I go to. It's going to be an extra boring day today, I'm curious if anyone else in the company has had a website blocked.

Also curious that after 4 years at the company it happened about a week after someone saw me on the site. Dodgy

Yeah, my employer has said recently that they are going to start blocking sites that are not work-related. Don't know if that means it'll be blocked on our wifi as well or not.

So far, TTA has remained unblocked for me, but I'm curious if it'll be blocked in the future. Undecided

08-10-2016, 11:18 AM
(08-10-2016 11:13 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 04:54 AM)unsapien Wrote:  As of yesterday The Thinking Atheist website is being blocked at work, including through the guest WiFi network. Not all atheist websites just "The Thinking Atheist" website specifically. I usually just pop in and read a bit in the morning at work and then I read the forum on Saturdays in the afternoon in service when it is really slow, they haven't blocked any of the news websites I go to. It's going to be an extra boring day today, I'm curious if anyone else in the company has had a website blocked.

Yeah, my employer has said recently that they are going to start blocking sites that are not work-related. Don't know if that means it'll be blocked on our wifi as well or not.

So far, TTA has remained unblocked for me, but I'm curious if it'll be blocked in the future. Undecided

They can't block the wifi where I work, because it's meant for the guests. Big Grin

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post