Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
11-10-2016, 10:43 PM
RE: Ranting corner
Teething babies are a pain in the ass. Way to design that shit, god. You definitely need a tech support hotline where I can vent my frustrations. Fuckin' idiot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
12-10-2016, 02:16 AM
(11-10-2016 10:39 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(11-10-2016 01:31 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Feel for your losses, EA. I had my dual heart attacks at 54 and have managed to beat the odds since then through self-education and working to get the best out of my health professionals. Plus early exercise and, reasonably, sensible eating.

There is no god in the equation, but genes certainly are. I am going to follow my theme here - I do what I can to get others who may be at risk to learn a little about heart attacks; reasons, symptoms, treatment etc. You would not be starting to early at your age, you have time to learn and to plan without getting too concerned as yet.

I hope you will become away of the dangers and hope that you can find the right health professionals when you need them. I only wish I had nagged my doctor, my own heart attack was avoidable. Many of them are with education and foresight. I write a piece for the village magazine every year passing on my experience and advice.

Take care, EA, you are your best monitor, but you have to know what you are looking for. Education is the best defence.

Hug

I feel like I'm doing fairly well, health-wise. I don't smoke. I exercise moderately (30 minute walks each day). I eat better and more well-rounded than I used to (was always super picky). And I'm not overweight.

I do have an underactive thyroid but that's being treated. I've had low vitamin D levels of late too, but I'm recently being treated for that. My cholesterol is a bit high, I suppose. Hell, I don't know. But the doctor prescribed simvastatin for me (which I have yet to fill). I'm just not so sure I want to be on that. Found out after my dad died that he took simvastatin. Fat lot of good it did him when he died from what was most likely his first heart attack. But I've heard that statins aren't great at preventing first heart attacks. Only subsequent ones.

My total cholesterol is 245 (or, was in July when I last had my numbers checked), triglycerides are 146, HDL is 79, and LDL is 137. They marked the LDL and the total cholesterol as being more than the range they'd like to see. They'd like my total under 200 and my LDL under 100.

I've never had an issue with cholesterol prior to this and I am thinking that it might possibly be due to my changing diet because I just ate the same old (not exactly healthy) foods for most of my life and for the last year I've been eating more well-rounded. Part of me thinks well maybe my body is just readjusting.

Plus I have heard (though I do not know for sure) that low Vitamin D can mean raised cholesterol levels. So I am hoping once my Vitamin D deficiency gets sorted, that my cholesterol will be fine.

But it was one of those things where they were like "Oh your cholesterol is high - boom let's put you on this medicine" and I'm just not on board with it. I'm fucking 32 - why the fuck should I be on a goddamn cholesterol medicine? That's bullshit. Yes, my family history is shitty when it comes to heart problems but most of them have been in the elderly in my family and that is not uncommon. My paternal grandfather was over 60 when he had his heart attack and my dad was nearly 60 so it wasn't like they were in their 40's or that it was super-early for either of them (though I still feel my dad died way too soon). And since I don't smoke and I'm not overweight and I exercise in moderation and eat better than I ever have in my life, I find it hard to believe that I need to be on a statin simply due to family history - even as prevalent as it is.

I just don't want to end up like my mom. You get on one drug and then they want to prescribe you the whole cabinet. I'm already on my maintenance drug for my underactive thyroid but with that, I felt shitty and would feel shitty again if I went off it, so there is motivation to take it. There is not a motivation to be on a statin, for me.

I fully realize I am not the doctor but it really just felt like she tossed drugs at me instead of even mentioning to me how I might get my levels to a more acceptable level w/o medications.

I've been working on my stress of late, with journaling and just, getting still and learning to quiet my thoughts and not get anxious about things so much, so that should also be helpful too, I should think, when it comes to heart issues.
Who knows. Oh, and my grandma had her surgery this morning. It went well, but as of an hour ago, she is not waking up like she should. She is in ICU and wasn't depending on the ventilator all that much at first but is needing it more now. They are hoping she will wake up okay in the morning. I hope so. Undecided

I used to be on Simvastatin but it made me cough, now on Atorvastatin and no noticeable side effects. On a total of 13 tablets or capsules a day now. Was 14 but one med had side effects worse than my condition, lousy quality of life, so stopped that.

Jury still undecided on statins and aspirin for those at risk and, sorry EA, it is at least 50% genetic - but keep up the healthy life style! However, if there are no nasty side effects for you on hindsight I would say, "Go for them!"

One day they will be able to take a DNA sample and tailor the drug and dose regime that best suits the individual. Probably on a smart phone app/adaptor in the doctor's office! Now though it's mostly suck-it-and-see.

Despite your justified concerns, EA, you seem to have the right attitude, and that counts for a lot.

Live long and prosper.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
12-10-2016, 06:22 AM
Just a follow-up to my Virgin rant, this is my usage so far. WTF happened at the change over between my old scheme and my new?

[Image: 4h624g.jpg]

This will also tell me what up/downloading pictures looks like on the graph.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
12-10-2016, 06:42 AM
Went to Urgent Care yesterday because my left leg was 1.75 inches bigger than my right. They in turn sent me to the ER, the ER ultrasounded it, ran a few tests, took some blood, came up with essentially "We dunno. We guess you're okay." Now at work on 4 hours of sleep.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2016, 06:47 AM
(12-10-2016 06:42 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Went to Urgent Care yesterday because my left leg was 1.75 inches bigger than my right. They in turn sent me to the ER, the ER ultrasounded it, ran a few tests, took some blood, came up with essentially "We dunno. We guess you're okay." Now at work on 4 hours of sleep.

That doesn’t sound good SH, you need to read this, some are quite serious.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/leg-s...m-20050910

Factors related to fluid buildup include:

Acute kidney failure
Cardiomyopathy (disease of heart tissue)
Chronic kidney disease
Cirrhosis (scarring of the liver)
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
Heart failure
Hormone therapy
Lymphedema (blockage in the lymph system)
Nephrotic syndrome (damage to small filtering blood vessels in the kidneys)
Pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or naproxen
Pericarditis (swelling of the membrane surrounding the heart)
Pregnancy
Prescription medications, including some used for diabetes and high blood pressure
Sitting for a long time, such as during airline flights
Standing for a long time
Thrombophlebitis (a blood clot that usually occurs in the leg)
Venous insufficiency, chronic (leg veins with a problem returning blood to the heart)

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
12-10-2016, 11:29 AM
(12-10-2016 06:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 06:42 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Went to Urgent Care yesterday because my left leg was 1.75 inches bigger than my right. They in turn sent me to the ER, the ER ultrasounded it, ran a few tests, took some blood, came up with essentially "We dunno. We guess you're okay." Now at work on 4 hours of sleep.

Acute kidney failure
Chronic kidney disease
Heart failure
Hormone therapy
Pregnancy
Prescription medications, including some used for diabetes and high blood pressure
Standing for a long time
Venous insufficiency, chronic (leg veins with a problem returning blood to the heart)

Yeah, I've read all of that before Sad Not on any pain relievers (stopped for the colonoscopy on Friday), recent chest x-ray and stress test and EKGs came back with an okay heart. (Glad to see you struck through pregnancy.) Ultrasound was looking for blood clots and they did the whole leg from calves to groin. Urine samples came back looking good, which I assume would be for the kidney stuff (along with the blood samples they drew). However my job is a mix of sitting and in between that, standing all day.

Also keep cramping in that leg today. Though that could be dehydration, and my um...liquid waste's coloration suggests I need more water.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2016, 11:33 AM
(12-10-2016 06:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Acute kidney failure
Chronic kidney disease
Heart failure
Hormone therapy
Pregnancy
Standing for a long time

Don't rule out "Alien parasite infestation"......

Weirder things have happened......

(don't think so??? Have you seen the US Presidential election this year?????)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-10-2016, 05:02 PM
And there's a typhoon headed my way.

Sure it probably won't be that bad in my unincorporated neck of the woods....

But the trees are just giant monsters trying to scare the shit out of me anytime the damn wind blows.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Haven't shaved in like 3 weeks, I think my mo' is finally starting to look non-hobo.

[Image: oscar.png]
12-10-2016, 09:07 PM
(12-10-2016 11:29 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 06:47 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  That doesn’t sound good SH, you need to read this, some are quite serious.

Acute kidney failure
Chronic kidney disease
Heart failure
Hormone therapy
Pregnancy
Standing for a long time

Yeah, I've read all of that before :( Not on any pain relievers (stopped for the colonoscopy on Friday), recent chest x-ray and stress test and EKGs came back with an okay heart. (Glad to see you struck through pregnancy.) Ultrasound was looking for blood clots and they did the whole leg from calves to groin. Urine samples came back looking good, which I assume would be for the kidney stuff (along with the blood samples they drew). However my job is a mix of sitting and in between that, standing all day.

Also keep cramping in that leg today. Though that could be dehydration, and my um...liquid waste's coloration suggests I need more water.

Get a second opinion on your leg. DVTs and lymphedema are common causes of unilateral swelling. If you develop sudden shortness of breath call 911.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post