Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
12-10-2016, 09:17 PM
RE: Ranting corner
My boss wants me in China more and for longer. So now that would mean I would spend 4 months there a year. I have 4 direct reports who text me at any time of the night with equipment problems, I have to find solutions for equipment I have never been trained to service with a scant budget to repair. All this on top of me still needing to make compounds for a project and the most sophisticated equipment I have at the moment is a TLC plate which basically gives me the same technology that a lab in 1900 had(I sent all of my good equipment to our site in CN). I am totally alone during the day so there are days where I leave home and literally do not speak to a human until I get home again. I have to do a mountain of paperwork myself that is just administrative BS. This newest thing basically means that my wife will have to stop working at her gym which contributes a few hundred a month amd to top that off, I haven't had a raise in four fucking years. I am going insane......

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2016, 09:18 PM
(12-10-2016 08:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Haven't shaved in like 3 weeks, I think my mo' is finally starting to look non-hobo.

Pics or it didn't happen. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2016, 04:33 AM
(12-10-2016 09:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 08:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Haven't shaved in like 3 weeks, I think my mo' is finally starting to look non-hobo.

Pics or it didn't happen. Drinking Beverage

Oh you got jokes old man.
13-10-2016, 04:35 AM
So Im watching Judge Judy, because why not, and only in America would you see a middle aged man suing a 12 year kid (well, his mother) because the man hit the kid while he was on his motorbike and the kid was on his bicycle and he wants the kids mother to pay for medical bills and the damage to the bicycle. Only America.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-10-2016, 08:05 AM
(12-10-2016 09:17 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  My boss wants me in China more and for longer. So now that would mean I would spend 4 months there a year. I have 4 direct reports who text me at any time of the night with equipment problems, I have to find solutions for equipment I have never been trained to service with a scant budget to repair. All this on top of me still needing to make compounds for a project and the most sophisticated equipment I have at the moment is a TLC plate which basically gives me the same technology that a lab in 1900 had(I sent all of my good equipment to our site in CN). I am totally alone during the day so there are days where I leave home and literally do not speak to a human until I get home again. I have to do a mountain of paperwork myself that is just administrative BS. This newest thing basically means that my wife will have to stop working at her gym which contributes a few hundred a month amd to top that off, I haven't had a raise in four fucking years. I am going insane......

Looks like it's time for a job search. As long as you tolerate the treatment, it won't change. I can speak from personal experience. If you are in a large enough company, take a look at their policies and see if they have one against "economic harassment". Failure to promote and no raises would fall into that category.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-10-2016, 09:16 AM
(13-10-2016 08:05 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Looks like it's time for a job search. As long as you tolerate the treatment, it won't change. I can speak from personal experience. If you are in a large enough company, take a look at their policies and see if they have one against "economic harassment". Failure to promote and no raises would fall into that category.

I was beginning to think about that too. The problem is that we are a very small company. I am fairly aware of the money situation in the company and I know that the raise is due to there just isn't anything in the budget. My boss is a great guy. Our site in CN is doing well but they are barely in the black at the moment. The reason why he needs me there more is because one of the girls there is having a baby and leaving in December. They have been looking for a replacement but there is no possible way to hire someone before Chinese New Year since there is a hiring cycle in China that is simply social. We pay much better than most places there so we have good talent so it's just bad timing. They want me there is no way the other guys there will be able to keep up with the demand. Essentially, if I fail, we all fail. If this wheel breaks down, the whole system will collapse. Literally, about 50 people's jobs are relying on how well my guys there are doing. The worst part is that we have two treatments that we are trying to get into the clinic there that could be worth literally a hundred million a piece but we can't do that if this part of the company can't support it. We are talking probably a year to get to the phase where we could sell it. I know that we already have potential buyers who are interested but they want clinical data first. So if I go, these treatments may never see the light of day. One is for oncology which if safe in humans, has the potential to be a real game changer. The thought of people like Dale being robbed of this in part because of me is one of the things that keeps me going.

My boss is fully aware that I am wearing about three hats at the moment. It is just very difficult to talk to my wife about it.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
13-10-2016, 09:22 AM
My house burned down on Monday. I am beginning to want to pull my hair out. Very frustrating. My wife is ok and my dog is only beginning to realize that the cat did not make it.
13-10-2016, 09:23 AM
Oh shit man, I am sorry.
Hug
13-10-2016, 09:48 AM
(13-10-2016 09:22 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  My house burned down on Monday. I am beginning to want to pull my hair out. Very frustrating. My wife is ok and my dog is only beginning to realize that the cat did not make it.

That really sucks.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2016, 10:59 AM
(13-10-2016 09:22 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  My house burned down on Monday. I am beginning to want to pull my hair out. Very frustrating. My wife is ok and my dog is only beginning to realize that the cat did not make it.

I'm so sorry to hear this! Please keep us in the loop about your well being as this situation progresses.