Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
15-10-2016, 04:36 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(15-10-2016 10:24 AM)cactus Wrote:  Pretty wives do always make the worst coffee. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Drinking Beverage

Boy that commercial really does make me want to rant! Angry Brew your own damn coffee if you don't like hers. Or just get a Keurig.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
15-10-2016, 04:44 PM
(15-10-2016 04:10 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(14-10-2016 03:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sooooo in advance of our upcoming storm, I've brought in everything that usually blows away. Wind chimes, umbrellas and crap like that.

Candles and other stuff, thank goodness I'm a girl. Smile

Dog has plenty of food too.

Wind is blowing pretty hard here all day.

Worst is yet to come.

Watching all the National Weather Service and power company tweets now. This one "blew" my mind.
"Strong jet stream (185 mph at 30,000 ft) across Pacific is major player in today's storm. Quite the tail wind for eastbound flights"
185 MPH Sadcryface

Would a commercial jet actually fly close to a wind that strong? I would think that even though it was a tail wind, one that strong could really close the stall window. I was talking to a commercial pilot who does long hauls once and I was asking him about the stall speed at altitude. He said that they are going about 30% over it at cruise. I would think a 185 mph tailwind could really cause problems with the flow over the airfoil and the loss of lift would be substantial. I mean if you're going 600 mph ground speed, a 185 mph tailwind would equate to a 415 mph flow over the airfoil. That seems dangerous or am I thinking of this wrong?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
15-10-2016, 05:21 PM
you're wrong, but that's OK. Here is how to think about winds aloft and airplanes.
if you have a motorboat that will go 10 MPH at 1500 RPM, and put it in a 10 MPH current, the boat knows nothing of that current. It only knows the water around it. It is now traveling 20 MPH over the earth, but it is operating in the ocean.
Same goes for a plane in flight. It operates in a "sea of air". It knows not nor cares not for wind speed over the ground, till you get to the ground and try and transition to the tires Smile
Transitioning through the different speeds of jetstream to the core is a bumpy proposition. As you move from one "river" of speed to another, the plane passes through a shear zone.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
15-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Jesus Christ, can my book be any more of a fucking slog at this point? I'll write and it's going good and then I think I'm not explaining enough so I cram more stuff in and then I read it through and it's boring and plodding. Blegh. Why do I torture myself like this? F'in writing. Hobo Tongue

15-10-2016, 10:07 PM
(15-10-2016 04:10 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(14-10-2016 03:36 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sooooo in advance of our upcoming storm, I've brought in everything that usually blows away. Wind chimes, umbrellas and crap like that.

Candles and other stuff, thank goodness I'm a girl. Smile

Dog has plenty of food too.

Wind is blowing pretty hard here all day.

Worst is yet to come.

Watching all the National Weather Service and power company tweets now. This one "blew" my mind.
"Strong jet stream (185 mph at 30,000 ft) across Pacific is major player in today's storm. Quite the tail wind for eastbound flights"
185 MPH Sadcryface

Storm fizzled out. Now we're eating all the extra food we bought. Big Grin.

Too bad I passed on ice cream. Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-10-2016, 11:33 PM
(15-10-2016 10:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Storm fizzled out. Now we're eating all the extra food we bought. Big Grin.

Too bad I passed on ice cream. Dodgy

Your hips will thank you later. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-10-2016, 07:05 AM
I made brownies Weeping
16-10-2016, 07:32 AM
(16-10-2016 07:05 AM)skyking Wrote:  I made brownies Weeping

I just bought supplies to make pumpkin rolls. Figured it would be a good idea to have a few cracks at it now, before I get press-ganged into some holiday get together and have to bring something. Thumbsup

[Image: Grandmas-Pumpkin-Roll-With-Cream-Cheese-Filling-6.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-10-2016, 11:27 AM
(15-10-2016 05:21 PM)skyking Wrote:  you're wrong, but that's OK. Here is how to think about winds aloft and airplanes.
if you have a motorboat that will go 10 MPH at 1500 RPM, and put it in a 10 MPH current, the boat knows nothing of that current. It only knows the water around it. It is now traveling 20 MPH over the earth, but it is operating in the ocean.
Same goes for a plane in flight. It operates in a "sea of air". It knows not nor cares not for wind speed over the ground, till you get to the ground and try and transition to the tires Smile
Transitioning through the different speeds of jetstream to the core is a bumpy proposition. As you move from one "river" of speed to another, the plane passes through a shear zone.

I was wondering about the length of the transition between, say, a 20mph tail wind and a sudden gust of a velocity close to, or greater than, that of the aircraft.

Also can you safely relate the second law dynamics of a motor boat and the lift dynamics of an aircraft where the velocity differential under/over the airfoil is critical?

A nose wind will slow the aircraft yet produce lift, does a tail wind do the opposite, especially with a fast transition?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
16-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Sundays are quickly becoming my least favorite day of the week. Sad