Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
16-10-2016, 12:41 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(16-10-2016 11:27 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 05:21 PM)skyking Wrote:  you're wrong, but that's OK. Here is how to think about winds aloft and airplanes.
if you have a motorboat that will go 10 MPH at 1500 RPM, and put it in a 10 MPH current, the boat knows nothing of that current. It only knows the water around it. It is now traveling 20 MPH over the earth, but it is operating in the ocean.
Same goes for a plane in flight. It operates in a "sea of air". It knows not nor cares not for wind speed over the ground, till you get to the ground and try and transition to the tires Smile
Transitioning through the different speeds of jetstream to the core is a bumpy proposition. As you move from one "river" of speed to another, the plane passes through a shear zone.

I was wondering about the length of the transition between, say, a 20mph tail wind and a sudden gust of a velocity close to, or greater than, that of the aircraft.
Look at this page on microbursts. It has an explanation on how they affect aircraft.
http://thevane.gawker.com/explaining-mic...1643929336
Also can you safely relate the second law dynamics of a motor boat and the lift dynamics of an aircraft where the velocity differential under/over the airfoil is critical?
yes, because the typical change is gradual. The most common effect when the local change is not gradual is turbulence.
A nose wind will slow the aircraft yet produce lift, does a tail wind do the opposite, especially with a fast transition?
see the microburst above
My airplane has a maneuvering speed of 164 MPH @ maximum gross weight.
This is the speed at which an abrupt and complete deflection of the controls will not damage the airframe.
What it really means is, the wing will stall before reaching the design G-Limits.
When it is really rough I will be down around 140 or so. I have been in some bumps that had the stall warning going off intermittently for minutes. The airspeed indicator was not keeping up, but the bottom line is, the stall was protecting the airframe and us.
This was all caused by flying through chunks of air moving in different directions and velocities.
That's windshear.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2016, 01:25 PM
(16-10-2016 12:41 PM)skyking Wrote:  
(16-10-2016 11:27 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  I was wondering about the length of the transition between, say, a 20mph tail wind and a sudden gust of a velocity close to, or greater than, that of the aircraft.
Look at this page on microbursts. It has an explanation on how they affect aircraft.
http://thevane.gawker.com/explaining-mic...1643929336
Also can you safely relate the second law dynamics of a motor boat and the lift dynamics of an aircraft where the velocity differential under/over the airfoil is critical?
yes, because the typical change is gradual. The most common effect when the local change is not gradual is turbulence.
A nose wind will slow the aircraft yet produce lift, does a tail wind do the opposite, especially with a fast transition?
see the microburst above
My airplane has a maneuvering speed of 164 MPH @ maximum gross weight.
This is the speed at which an abrupt and complete deflection of the controls will not damage the airframe.
What it really means is, the wing will stall before reaching the design G-Limits.
When it is really rough I will be down around 140 or so. I have been in some bumps that had the stall warning going off intermittently for minutes. The airspeed indicator was not keeping up, but the bottom line is, the stall was protecting the airframe and us.
This was all caused by flying through chunks of air moving in different directions and velocities.
That's windshear.
Yes, understand more now, loss of lift happens with sudden burst of tail wind but mainly a problem on landing.

[Image: b88ggx.jpg]

No possibility of more sustained effect at edges of a storm? But with enough altitude recovery is possible.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
16-10-2016, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2016 03:11 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Pretty sure I'm about to get banned from Catholic Bronies after telling the two worst human beings in the group, "I pray that one day, anger and hate will release its hold upon your two's souls as you both seek to attack in your posts on this group, everyone from: refugee children, those who disagree with you on any issue, people you both paranoidly perceive as being ready to "persecute" you, to repeatedly, the Pontiff of the Church. One day, if you continue, I fear that your hatred will consume you both to the point where you even begin to attack the unborn as being too evil."

Of course that's also a bit after one of them had basically said Muslim children are Satan. This is following statements like, "Rapefugees need to stay in their shitholes", and all the other wonderful crap they post about how we need to "prepare for persecution" and how we should accept Trump's word that he's pro-life now, despite defending Planned Parenthood in the GOP Debates. Let's not even get into the double talk after I pointed out that Roe and Casey cases were decided by a majority of Republican appointed Justices, with Republican Presidents, and that despite telling pro-lifers "oh we'll fight abortion" it never happens, it's only a carrot to ensure the votes of one issue voters.

(13-10-2016 09:22 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  My house burned down on Monday. I am beginning to want to pull my hair out. Very frustrating. My wife is ok and my dog is only beginning to realize that the cat did not make it.

Holy crap man, I'm sorry Sad

Edit:
(12-10-2016 09:07 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 11:29 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Yeah, I've read all of that before Sad Not on any pain relievers (stopped for the colonoscopy on Friday), recent chest x-ray and stress test and EKGs came back with an okay heart. (Glad to see you struck through pregnancy.) Ultrasound was looking for blood clots and they did the whole leg from calves to groin. Urine samples came back looking good, which I assume would be for the kidney stuff (along with the blood samples they drew). However my job is a mix of sitting and in between that, standing all day.

Also keep cramping in that leg today. Though that could be dehydration, and my um...liquid waste's coloration suggests I need more water.

Get a second opinion on your leg. DVTs and lymphedema are common causes of unilateral swelling. If you develop sudden shortness of breath call 911.
This was a second opinion compared to when it happened in another leg. Sad It's back down to normal size now after elevation for a few days (also possibly because I was off the anti-inflammatory which has fluid retention as a side effect.) My follow up with my doc is on Tuesday, where I'm going to ask about follow ups now that the leg isn't swollen.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2016, 12:58 AM
Got me a flu on friday. Never get sick on a friday! But even worse is the fact that i cant smell shit currently, literally! YOu could give me some nice pile of juicy dogshit, and i wouldnt notice (if you blindfold me!) I hate that!

Now i gotta keep all the bratwurst n tasty stuff until i am fit again. Censored

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
17-10-2016, 06:18 AM
(17-10-2016 12:58 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Got me a flu on friday. Never get sick on a friday! But even worse is the fact that i cant smell shit currently, literally! YOu could give me some nice pile of juicy dogshit, and i wouldnt notice (if you blindfold me!) I hate that!

It's time for hot & sour soup. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-10-2016, 06:32 AM
(17-10-2016 12:58 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Got me a flu on friday. Never get sick on a friday! But even worse is the fact that i cant smell shit currently, literally! YOu could give me some nice pile of juicy dogshit, and i wouldnt notice (if you blindfold me!) I hate that!

You should complain, I am on an anti-gout diet; no sausages of any kind, no bacon or ham, no beef, reduce white meat, no oily fish and reduce white fish, no asparagus and certain other veg, keep off the spiced stuff. . .

OK, I am allowed cheeses, but also trying to keep my weight level due to cardiac condition and borderline diabetes, no greens due to warfarin . . .

OK, I break the rules, but not too oftem.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
17-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Me: I wonder how [site] is taking the election now...and excommunicate Democrats and deny them Catholic funerals. Mkay...gonna hit X now.

Hope you feel better soon! (Though now would be a great time for a colonoscopy; caught a cold and realized how linked smell and taste are, and it really helped in gagging down the prep stuff.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
19-10-2016, 08:39 AM
Someone reminded me of this and I’ve been going around the house, singing “dropkick me, Jesus” for hours now… then again, I haven’t been able to stop laughing for hours, either, so I should probably have put this in the “Why was this a good day” thread Rolleyes

"I've got the will, Lord, if You got the toe." [Image: rofl-111.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
19-10-2016, 10:13 AM
(16-10-2016 01:25 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  
(16-10-2016 12:41 PM)skyking Wrote:  My airplane has a maneuvering speed of 164 MPH @ maximum gross weight.
That's windshear.
Yes, understand more now, loss of lift happens with sudden burst of tail wind but mainly a problem on landing.

[Image: b88ggx.jpg]

No possibility of more sustained effect at edges of a storm? But with enough altitude recovery is possible.

When you hear about people being hurt and thrown around the cabin, that's it. transition from one packet of air to another going another direction. Severity depends on the differences of speed and direction. The plane can handle it fine, the people not so much.
19-10-2016, 10:27 AM
(19-10-2016 08:39 AM)Vera Wrote:  Someone reminded me of this and I’ve been going around the house, singing “dropkick me, Jesus” for hours now… then again, I haven’t been able to stop laughing for hours, either, so I should probably have put this in the “Why was this a good day” thread Rolleyes

"I've got the will, Lord, if You got the toe." [Image: rofl-111.gif]

I listened to that and did giggle a bit, and then it hit me.
Remember the old practical joke, sticking a "kick me" sign on somebody's back?
A post-it note with "dropkick me jesus" on the back of "that" person in everyone's office or place of business. Giggle Laughat