Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
28-11-2012, 02:50 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(28-11-2012 02:44 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(28-11-2012 02:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  No no, control is the one who *doesn't* get stuff done to them...

The idea is that when you experiment on some population e.g. treating an illness, you have a control group whom you don't treat (or give a placebo), which tells you the base rate at which the disease is healed naturally. Your treatment is only useful if you do better than that base rate.
Yeah, I know what a control group is, but wasn't sure how things would work in this particular scenario Consider
I was thinking he wants to beat those asses bloody beforehand... control would presumably not get beaten. Sorry for doubting you, couldn't resist the opportunity to sound like I know something Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Well, at this point, you two are morphing the project more than I am. It was originally planned to be more of a gullibility experiment. If somebody ACTUALLY thought they would get money over something like that, then I don't see why they wouldn't tear their ass to shreds by their own hands. However, the more you cast this project into the light of ass-beating, the more intriguing the idea of determining how much abuse the average ass can take is becoming.

Hmmmmmm decisions, decisions, decisions. Consider

[Image: giphy.gif]
28-11-2012, 03:04 PM
(28-11-2012 02:50 PM)morondog Wrote:  Sorry for doubting you, couldn't resist the opportunity to sound like I know something Tongue
Tread lightly, I'm a bit like the Holy Ghost - I cannot and mustn't be doubted....

(28-11-2012 02:56 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Well, at this point, you two are morphing the project more than I am. It was originally planned to be more of a gullibility experiment. If somebody ACTUALLY thought they would get money over something like that, then I don't see why they wouldn't tear their ass to shreds by their own hands. However, the more you cast this project into the light of ass-beating, the more intriguing the idea of determining how much abuse the average ass can take is becoming.

Hmmmmmm decisions, decisions, decisions. Consider
It could be the Milgram experiment of this century. How much pain are you prepared to inflict upon yourself when you're following orders and/or expecting a reward. Yeah, smells like a Nobel prize to me... or was it an Ig Nobel prize...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
28-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Attempting to write a personal statement for ucas when the deadline is this Friday.

[Image: 6DTVX.png]

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
28-11-2012, 06:20 PM
(28-11-2012 04:27 AM)Leela Wrote:  gotta hate my immune system. It fights against plasters... Like I have this small burn that takes forever to heal. So over night I wanna put some plaster on it so I don't rip it open in my sleep. So yahoo it doesn't get ripped open, but yay I also get an itchy rash from the glue on the Leukoplast strips.
I knew about my allergy before I did that, I had the same problem in hospital once. They switched me to another strip and I did not react allergic to that one, but I have nothing else at home right now and in the pharmacy I couldn't find the other strip yet.
I have to buy special band-aids and first aid tape or I end up with a worse wound from the adhesive than I had to begin with. Was a real treat when we had to tape and retape the drains I had in after my surgery. After a week, there was no skin left to put tape on. Sucks! I have to use paper tape that doesn't stay on worth a crap or hypoallergenic band-aids. Getting blood drain leaves me not only with an ugly cruise but with two big red patches where they stick the bandage.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-11-2012, 07:17 PM
So my tut lady person thingy is a total fucking bitch.

It's like, we're not 5 years old, we don't need to come up with ground rules we would like to see in these tuts
Fucking hell..
I mean hell, some of the people there were old as fuck (like 25+)!

And if that wasn't bad enough as the lesson progressed I could see that me and this bitch are going to have some serious issues.

[Image: oscar.png]
28-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Lol. Some dude I went to grade school with was upset that I said Jesse Ventura is probably not the best possible potential presidential candidate for 2016, and then went on to ask wtf I've done lately, several ad hominem attacks and nonsequiturs, including (mistakenly thinking I am a witch because I was kinda gothy in high school) telling me to do a curse and see what happens.

I wonder if he'd mock me in the same way if I was Christian? It's not like he's an atheist and mocking me for believing in woo; he believes in woo and I don't. (For some reason, he also mentioned that his best friend is a goth. I have a lot of black clothes but have never identified as goth, but whatever. I guess I'm viewed that way.)

He also kept saying he lost respect for me and discussed ways I could earn his respect, mistakenly thinking I actually give a damn about what he thinks of me. I was just bored and making fun of Jesse Ventura on a mutual friend's FB page, and this guy flips out on me for about 50 comments. Geez. Overreacting much.

Apparently I'm not allowed to call someone crazy because I'm not sane enough myself, and I'm not allowed to have opinions on war because I've never been in the military (I actually tried to join the army in 1999, but they said I couldn't because of my asthma).

Anyway, I was polite the entire time, because that's just how I roll. I'm just confused as to wtf his problem is.
28-11-2012, 08:27 PM
(28-11-2012 08:13 PM)amyb Wrote:  Apparently I'm not allowed to call someone crazy because I'm not sane enough myself, and I'm not allowed to have opinions on war because I've never been in the military (I actually tried to join the army in 1999, but they said I couldn't because of my asthma).

By that logic he isn't allowed to comment on politics since he isn't a politician. Or healthcare since he isn't a Doctor, or music since he isn't a musician or art since he's not an artist, or food since he's not a chef.....

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
28-11-2012, 08:41 PM
If you were crazy wouldn't that make you an expert in crazy? Dudes logic is unsound.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
28-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Yeah, that's what I said. And because he said "I thought you were smart" he expected me to thank him. Thanking him wasn't the first thing that came to my mind because I mainly just saw a long string of ad hominems. Apparently, saying "I don't like Jesse Ventura very much" is akin to telling this dude his mother sucks cock in hell.

Just had to bitch about it here because the dude whose FB this took place on hasn't been online today.

Though I wish I would've asked him about the religion thing, why he felt the need to mock my religion (what he thought was my religion) in a post about Jesse Ventura. He went on to say I read books on various eastern religions and so on, and it's true: as a teenager, I studied many religions in my free time. I even tried to follow some. I don't see how it's an insult to point that out, though. I'm not ashamed of being curious about different religions.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post