Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
07-12-2016, 10:29 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(06-12-2016 10:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 09:35 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  I'll pay someone $1.06 to hit me with a fucking bus

I'll pay them more not to...

Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2016, 01:44 PM
(07-12-2016 10:29 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 10:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'll pay them more not to...

Sad

Hug

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-12-2016, 06:08 PM
I hate dealing with our bookstore. October 14th, they tell me I'm overdue on submitting my Winter and Spring textbooks, I send it to them. Tonight, they email me, saying I've never submitted my Spring textbook adoptions and they may not be able to get books for the class. They've done this to one of my colleagues 3 times this semester. So I emailed them back saying "Please find attached a copy of the email I sent you with that information on October 14, 2016" and a screenshot of the email.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2016, 07:24 PM
(07-12-2016 06:08 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I hate dealing with our bookstore. October 14th, they tell me I'm overdue on submitting my Winter and Spring textbooks, I send it to them. Tonight, they email me, saying I've never submitted my Spring textbook adoptions and they may not be able to get books for the class. They've done this to one of my colleagues 3 times this semester. So I emailed them back saying "Please find attached a copy of the email I sent you with that information on October 14, 2016" and a screenshot of the email.

Text books are the biggest ripoff there is. $200 for fucking what? Shit I can find on the web myself. Everything I need I can find on the web. I'm not gonna buy your damn textbook.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-12-2016, 07:57 PM
(07-12-2016 07:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 06:08 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I hate dealing with our bookstore. October 14th, they tell me I'm overdue on submitting my Winter and Spring textbooks, I send it to them. Tonight, they email me, saying I've never submitted my Spring textbook adoptions and they may not be able to get books for the class. They've done this to one of my colleagues 3 times this semester. So I emailed them back saying "Please find attached a copy of the email I sent you with that information on October 14, 2016" and a screenshot of the email.

Text books are the biggest ripoff there is. $200 for fucking what? Shit I can find on the web myself. Everything I need I can find on the web. I'm not gonna buy your damn textbook.

Chump change! Some of the texts my son got (who was taking a Chemical Engineering major) cost over $500! He bought them used and resold them, or got .pdfs on rent. His differential equations text is the same one I had, but several editions newer, at 5X the price. Like you say, you can find them on the internet, so once you graduate, that info is at one's fingertips.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
07-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Hey I use about two editions out of date so a $150 textbook is about $30. That said, yes, they can be huge ripoffs. At conference the big publishers have dinners where they try to get people drunk and sell them on textbook adoptions.

08-12-2016, 03:21 PM
The worst part of going to conference isn't the travel or presentation. It's fighting with the Travel office people who never seem to know how to do their jobs. "We need an actual receipt, not just a reservation confirmation." It says "confirmation number" on it, has each day and the taxes broken down on it, and is stapled to the email from them that says "your Hilton receipt". Just because it doesn't say the word "receipt" on the actual receipt, doesn't make it not a receipt. Also the reason you got the link to the program online instead of the "copy of the program we requested" is, as I told you, because I'm not copying 400+ pages for you when you can click a hyperlink. Now reimburse me the thousand dollars because I have to pay it off on a corporate credit card by the end of the month, and they don't allow minimum payments, only payment in full.

[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
08-12-2016, 03:58 PM
(08-12-2016 03:21 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The worst part of going to conference isn't the travel or presentation. It's fighting with the Travel office people who never seem to know how to do their jobs. "We need an actual receipt, not just a reservation confirmation." It says "confirmation number" on it, has each day and the taxes broken down on it, and is stapled to the email from them that says "your Hilton receipt". Just because it doesn't say the word "receipt" on the actual receipt, doesn't make it not a receipt. Also the reason you got the link to the program online instead of the "copy of the program we requested" is, as I told you, because I'm not copying 400+ pages for you when you can click a hyperlink. Now reimburse me the thousand dollars because I have to pay it off on a corporate credit card by the end of the month, and they don't allow minimum payments, only payment in full.

I feel your pain. I used to work for a company that periodically sent me overseas (to countries with different currencies), and expense accounts were always a pain. My way to do them was to convert whatever advance they gave me into Deutsch Marks or British pounds, keep my expense account in that currency, and then convert back at the end. But no -- they wanted me to convert each individual expense to US dollars before logging it. In addition to making a lot more busy work for me, this also led to the confusion of which exchange rate to use, since it changes every day. I was never able to make them see it my way, so I would do it both ways, and any money that I lost because of changing exchange rates, I would add on as a miscellaneous expense.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
08-12-2016, 04:04 PM
(07-12-2016 07:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(07-12-2016 07:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Text books are the biggest ripoff there is. $200 for fucking what? Shit I can find on the web myself. Everything I need I can find on the web. I'm not gonna buy your damn textbook.

Chump change! Some of the texts my son got (who was taking a Chemical Engineering major) cost over $500! He bought them used and resold them, or got .pdfs on rent. His differential equations text is the same one I had, but several editions newer, at 5X the price. Like you say, you can find them on the internet, so once you graduate, that info is at one's fingertips.

That should be in KKKUSA's how do you justify stealing thread.

#sigh
08-12-2016, 05:04 PM
(08-12-2016 03:58 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 03:21 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  The worst part of going to conference isn't the travel or presentation. It's fighting with the Travel office people who never seem to know how to do their jobs. "We need an actual receipt, not just a reservation confirmation." It says "confirmation number" on it, has each day and the taxes broken down on it, and is stapled to the email from them that says "your Hilton receipt". Just because it doesn't say the word "receipt" on the actual receipt, doesn't make it not a receipt. Also the reason you got the link to the program online instead of the "copy of the program we requested" is, as I told you, because I'm not copying 400+ pages for you when you can click a hyperlink. Now reimburse me the thousand dollars because I have to pay it off on a corporate credit card by the end of the month, and they don't allow minimum payments, only payment in full.

I feel your pain. I used to work for a company that periodically sent me overseas (to countries with different currencies), and expense accounts were always a pain. My way to do them was to convert whatever advance they gave me into Deutsch Marks or British pounds, keep my expense account in that currency, and then convert back at the end. But no -- they wanted me to convert each individual expense to US dollars before logging it. In addition to making a lot more busy work for me, this also led to the confusion of which exchange rate to use, since it changes every day. I was never able to make them see it my way, so I would do it both ways, and any money that I lost because of changing exchange rates, I would add on as a miscellaneous expense.

That sounds like a total pain the rear. Facepalm Glad to not have to do that, at least. Especially not on a periodic basis like you used to have to do.