Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
13-12-2016, 08:20 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(13-12-2016 08:09 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Okay, I’m just going to go right out and say it. I hate kids. –That’s not to say that I don’t want good things for kids. I do. I want them to be happy and healthy, and as far away from me and my scope of responsibility as humanly possible. To my mind, kids are not cute. They’re annoying, stupid, spoiled, whiny and irritating.

I dislike having to see kids in commercials, and it gets worse during Christmas. I can excuse commercials featuring children that are selling children’s products. I expect a kid to be on a toy commercial or an advertisement for an amusement park.
This I can accept… as long as they’re not singing. But it drives me nuts seeing children with their infuriating, shrill little voices singing about the merits of a landscaping company, a plumber, or the local car dealer. Kids have no business selling me these things because they’re ignorant little bastards who can be persuaded to do anything for a cupcake.

… Now if you will excuse me, my neighbor has promised me beer if I help them move their sofa.

But what do you really think? Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
13-12-2016, 08:23 PM
(13-12-2016 08:09 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Okay, I’m just going to go right out and say it. I hate kids. –That’s not to say that I don’t want good things for kids. I do. I want them to be happy and healthy, and as far away from me and my scope of responsibility as humanly possible. To my mind, kids are not cute. They’re annoying, stupid, spoiled, whiny and irritating.

I dislike having to see kids in commercials, and it gets worse during Christmas. I can excuse commercials featuring children that are selling children’s products. I expect a kid to be on a toy commercial or an advertisement for an amusement park.
This I can accept… as long as they’re not singing. But it drives me nuts seeing children with their infuriating, shrill little voices singing about the merits of a landscaping company, a plumber, or the local car dealer. Kids have no business selling me these things because they’re ignorant little bastards who can be persuaded to do anything for a cupcake.

… Now if you will excuse me, my neighbor has promised me beer if I help them move their sofa.

It's okay - I pretty much get it. I detest babies. No, I don't want to hold it...I will politely gaze from afar and say something sort of complimentary about your spawn. I did my time with being peed on, pooped on, barfed on, and trying to figure out why one wouldn't stop crying.

Toddlers are worse because they tend to be free range. At least you can keep a baby contained either by its lack of mobility or in a playpen, crib, kid seat, stroller, etc.

I am pretty good with boy children from about the age of 7 through their teens. In fact, I helped raise several who I didn't give birth to.

Girl children have a short window for me as far as tolerance. Maybe from about four to seven or eight. After that they seem to be practicing to be absolute pain in the ass teenaged girls who are agents of Satan for the most part.

There have been a rare few who don't fit those descriptions and I have enjoyed spending time with them as long as the time is quite limited.

How I managed to keep three alive to adulthood is a mystery to many including me. Confused

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
13-12-2016, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2016 08:36 PM by Aliza.)
(13-12-2016 08:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 08:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:  And while I'm here in the ranting corner, let me just say that I hate Christmas.

OMG IS THAT AN ANNOYING FUCKING HOLIDAY!

It invades everything! It's like a pervasive fungus that you're just not going to be able to get rid of no matter what you do. It has to run it's course.

So are you saying you don't like my candy cane avatar Tongue Laugh out load

I agree with you though, it is way too in your face. I have one neighbor--his house looks like Christmas threw up on it. I do wish, in general, people would tone it down and realize not everyone celebrates Christmas. It is really rude to other people's beliefs or lack thereof.

Exactly. Just tone it down. Some of us have to spend two months looking at this monstrosity.

[Image: suicide.0.jpeg]

Believe it or not, my parents have been coaxed to participate in the neighborhood holiday light display because somehow it is a tragedy for their property to break the trend in the row of decorated houses.

Last year, there was a push to get everyone in my neighborhood to decorate our homes for a contest to be judged by panel of neighbors (specially trained to carry out the task impartially, I'm sure). My neighbors, who do not realize that I'm Jewish but do understand that something is up with that girl, would say in this ridiculous sing song voice, "You can't win the holiday ham if you don't decorate your house, Aliza!"

Mmmm. Holiday ham.

Maybe this won't win me the holiday ham, but it would still be totally worth it.

[Image: phallus.0.jpeg]
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post
13-12-2016, 08:43 PM
(13-12-2016 08:33 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 08:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  So are you saying you don't like my candy cane avatar Tongue Laugh out load

I agree with you though, it is way too in your face. I have one neighbor--his house looks like Christmas threw up on it. I do wish, in general, people would tone it down and realize not everyone celebrates Christmas. It is really rude to other people's beliefs or lack thereof.

Exactly. Just tone it down. Some of us have to spend two months looking at this monstrosity.

[Image: suicide.0.jpeg]

Believe it or not, my parents have been coaxed to participate in the neighborhood holiday light display because somehow it is a tragedy for their property to break the trend in the row of decorated houses.

Last year, there was a push to get everyone in my neighborhood to decorate our homes for a contest to be judged by panel of neighbors (specially trained to carry out the task impartially, I'm sure). My neighbors, who do not realize that I'm Jewish but do understand that something is up with that girl, would say in this ridiculous sing song voice, "You can't win the holiday ham if you don't decorate your house, Aliza!"

Mmmm. Holiday ham.

Maybe this won't win me the holiday ham, but it would still be totally worth it.

[Image: phallus.0.jpeg]

Outrageous! Fucking Christians Laugh out load I think you so need to do the Christmas penis light display. Thumbsup Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
13-12-2016, 08:46 PM
(13-12-2016 08:13 PM)Aliza Wrote:  And while I'm here in the ranting corner, let me just say that I hate Christmas.

OMG IS THAT AN ANNOYING FUCKING HOLIDAY!

It invades everything! It's like a pervasive fungus that you're just not going to be able to get rid of no matter what you do. It has to run it's course.

I know we sort of discussed this in another thread, but the secretary this evening was ranting about her First Amendment rights and the Nativity decal on her office window, because apparently someone approached her about how it might offend someone. All I could think was, "Yes, I'm Catholic too, but we're in a public institution. My copy of Confessions is only visible in my office on a shelf under "classical" works like Utilitarianism, The Art of War, The Origin of Species, Night, Shake Hands With the Devil (the UN General during the Rwandan genocide's memoirs), The Prince, and a few others. Fun fact, it took me 3 years to read Confessions. Saint Augustine is very rambly... My Rosary is inside a drawer. And my Thinking Atheist mug isn't overtly pro or anti-religion, since it just says to think."

Hell, I teach a winter class in January, and despite being Catholic, I'm showing a video from the American Atheist national convention, because when we discuss cults, I think Lockwood's story about how they controlled the lives of the members is far better than I could express in a lecture alone. And even then, I'm going to give a disclaimer before it that I'm not advocating for or against anyone's beliefs, just that it's the best personal story I've heard on the topic we're discussing.

Edit: New posts while I was writing. On the holiday light display forced participation, once when I was a Baptist; mom, her minister, and another person were talking in our church. The third person sneered, "every time I see a house without Christmas lights out, I pray for the person inside, because they obviously don't know Jesus!" My mom went, "I don't decorate because I'm too afraid to climb a ladder." and her minister replied, "I don't put up lights either."

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
13-12-2016, 09:02 PM
I don't decorate or otherwise celebrate this pagan holiday because it's wasteful of money and electricity, not to mention trees.

When Christians ask me why I'm not doing Christmas things, I always reply, "Because I don't celebrate pagan holidays."

Oooooooh how I love the look on their faces when I say that, and they're forced to mentally contend with the fact that their holiday is a Yule/Saturnalia rip-off. On rare, delicious occasion, they're dumb enough to ask what I mean by that phrase, and I'll actually explain to them all the pagan elements (literally everything but the Nativity story/scene) that comprise the holiday. I'm always careful never to imply that I'm a non-believer, but always phrase it in terms of "these non-Jesus-worshiping people did ____, and the Christians started doing it, too" so they have to go back to their homes and think about what they're actually celebrating. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
13-12-2016, 09:06 PM
(13-12-2016 09:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't decorate or otherwise celebrate this pagan holiday because it's wasteful of money and electricity, not to mention trees.

When Christians ask me why I'm not doing Christmas things, I always reply, "Because I don't celebrate pagan holidays."

Oooooooh how I love the look on their faces when I say that, and they're forced to mentally contend with the fact that their holiday is a Yule/Saturnalia rip-off. On rare, delicious occasion, they're dumb enough to ask what I mean by that phrase, and I'll actually explain to them all the pagan elements (literally everything but the Nativity story/scene) that comprise the holiday. I'm always careful never to imply that I'm a non-believer, but always phrase it in terms of "these non-Jesus-worshiping people did ____, and the Christians started doing it, too" so they have to go back to their homes and think about what they're actually celebrating. Big Grin

I only put lights on my Christmas tree and that's because I think it looks pretty by the fireplace. Tongue
13-12-2016, 09:08 PM
(13-12-2016 09:02 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I don't decorate or otherwise celebrate this pagan holiday because it's wasteful of money and electricity, not to mention trees.

You do not want to meet my neighbor. Tongue She's a little old lady who goes all out for every holiday, but especially Christmas. She hung Christmas wreaths on everyone in the building's doors with a Merry Christmas note.

And again you hit on one of the things I respect about the Catholic Church. In RCIA during the conversion process, when we talked about Christmas, the priest outright said, "the date's a convenience thing. Had to win over the pagans, so why not co-opt their holidays? At least that was the thinking." Also love when people freak out that Christmas was banned at points for being too pagan.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
13-12-2016, 09:13 PM
(13-12-2016 09:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I only put lights on my Christmas tree and that's because I think it looks pretty by the fireplace. Tongue

By the FIRE!?!?

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
13-12-2016, 09:18 PM
(13-12-2016 09:13 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(13-12-2016 09:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I only put lights on my Christmas tree and that's because I think it looks pretty by the fireplace. Tongue

By the FIRE!?!?

It's far enough away without causing a major catastrophe Laugh out load