Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
19-12-2016, 12:35 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(19-12-2016 10:49 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Remembering part of why I took a job 600 miles from home. We weren't even halfway back from the airport when my father began listing all of his chores he expects me to do while here (like disposing of an almost entirely metal microwave that's older than my 30 years), because "the slave is home". Plus won't stop being annoying (my mother is a Saint to put up with this daily) intentionally. And keeps looking over at my glasses, trying to spy on my screen while I'm on the computer. And every time I get a text message, if I forget to put the phone on silent, "WHAT WAS THAT? WHAT'S THAT NOISE?" and when I say it's a text, demanding to know who it is and what they want. Or when I drank from a water bottle and it crinkled on the drive back, "Did we just hit ice? What was that?" My mom just turned off the television while we're putting up the tree and I'm going to play Christmas music, "Why is the TV off? Did we blow something?"

Or this lovely conversation is indicative of things.
Mom: Now don't get too close to the fire
Dad: Because I'll take your spot?
Mom: Because I don't want you to catch on fire.
Dad: You just don't want me to take your spot.
Mom: ...no I just don't want you to catch on fire.

Edit: And now mocking the Christmas music and trying to sing badly over it. Behaving like such a petulant child...

Oh dear. My son is home from Christmas for the first time (freshman in college). I wonder what's going through his head...hope it's nothing like this!

It is weird how he's been home for two days now. Everything had been so neat...now we're back to disaster area.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
19-12-2016, 12:39 PM
(19-12-2016 10:49 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Remembering part of why I took a job 600 miles from home. We weren't even halfway back from the airport when my father began listing all of his chores he expects me to do while here (like disposing of an almost entirely metal microwave that's older than my 30 years), because "the slave is home". Plus won't stop being annoying (my mother is a Saint to put up with this daily) intentionally. And keeps looking over at my glasses, trying to spy on my screen while I'm on the computer. And every time I get a text message, if I forget to put the phone on silent, "WHAT WAS THAT? WHAT'S THAT NOISE?" and when I say it's a text, demanding to know who it is and what they want. Or when I drank from a water bottle and it crinkled on the drive back, "Did we just hit ice? What was that?" My mom just turned off the television while we're putting up the tree and I'm going to play Christmas music, "Why is the TV off? Did we blow something?"

Or this lovely conversation is indicative of things.
Mom: Now don't get too close to the fire
Dad: Because I'll take your spot?
Mom: Because I don't want you to catch on fire.
Dad: You just don't want me to take your spot.
Mom: ...no I just don't want you to catch on fire.

Edit: And now mocking the Christmas music and trying to sing badly over it. Behaving like such a petulant child...

Dad sounds like a grumpy old man...how festive. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-12-2016, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 01:19 PM by Shai Hulud.)
Sorry Adey Sad

Julep, Laugh out load That's wonderful. I'm sure he's happier than me right now. But that's great. This decorating is making my own mom's careful cleaning into a disaster area.

Morondog, go ahead and laugh good sir, go ahead and laugh. Now he's lecturing me on how we all need to be armed to deter crime and how FDR ruined the United States by making us into a welfare state...and how people don't understand that in some countries, religion is a big deal (with things like the assassination just now of the Russian ambassador in Turkey as a gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar").

Anjele, he's literally said "bah humbug" and meant it! But he's like this year round. Facepalm Also any time he saw water on the road last night, he freaked out about how it had to be ice. (It never was.)

Edit: oh there we go...I don't have a 'real job' and understand the 'real world' because I'm not in retail my whole life like he was. I'm sheltered in my ivory tower from how bad people abuse the system or how bad off people are. For fuck's sake man, I volunteer in prisons, I've worked retail before for years, my best friend has just managed to get a job for the first time in almost four years and only has a high school diploma and is facing eviction, and I've had several students this semester that I've sat with and offered to walk over to the counseling center because their husbands/boyfriends beat them heavily. Domestic violence is the second most common reason I get for not coming to class...I have a good idea of how fucked up our world can be.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-12-2016, 01:24 PM
(16-12-2016 10:21 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 09:25 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Three people didn't show for the last Final...had to stay the whole time. Drive home was awful...took 1.5 hours of sliding slowly to make it back. Usually that takes 15 minutes maximum.

Stinks that those people didn't show. Good that you made it home safely. Thumbsup

Secular schools cancel classes and tests instead of risking the lives of those they just educated and their educators.

#sigh
19-12-2016, 01:26 PM
(19-12-2016 01:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 10:21 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Stinks that those people didn't show. Good that you made it home safely. Thumbsup

Secular schools cancel classes and tests instead of risking the lives of those they just educated and their educators.

This is a secular school and it did not. It also did not cancel Commencement the next day.

19-12-2016, 01:27 PM
(19-12-2016 10:49 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Remembering part of why I took a job 600 miles from home. We weren't even halfway back from the airport when my father began listing all of his chores he expects me to do while here (like disposing of an almost entirely metal microwave that's older than my 30 years), because "the slave is home".

Haven't learned the fake arm sling trick yet huh.

#sigh
19-12-2016, 01:28 PM
(19-12-2016 01:26 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 01:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Secular schools cancel classes and tests instead of risking the lives of those they just educated and their educators.

This is a secular school and it did not. It also did not cancel Commencement the next day.

Which State? North Dakota?

#sigh
19-12-2016, 01:33 PM
(19-12-2016 01:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 01:26 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  This is a secular school and it did not. It also did not cancel Commencement the next day.

Which State? North Dakota?

Wisconsin. Glorious land of Cheese, Beer, wind chills, and they assure me, not usually a lot of snow at our part by the lake.

19-12-2016, 01:36 PM
(19-12-2016 01:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Now he's lecturing me on how we all need to be armed to deter crime and how FDR ruined the United States by making us into a welfare state...and how people don't understand that in some countries, religion is a big deal (with things like the assassination just now of the Russian ambassador in Turkey as a gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar").

That's what college football games are for. Tulsa vs. Central Michigan in the Miami Beach Bowl today. Should be an exciting game with two evenly matched teams. GO CHIPPEWAS! Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
19-12-2016, 01:53 PM
(19-12-2016 01:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 01:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Now he's lecturing me on how we all need to be armed to deter crime and how FDR ruined the United States by making us into a welfare state...and how people don't understand that in some countries, religion is a big deal (with things like the assassination just now of the Russian ambassador in Turkey as a gunman shouted "Allahu Akbar").

That's what college football games are for. Tulsa vs. Central Michigan in the Miami Beach Bowl today. Should be an exciting game with two evenly matched teams. GO CHIPPEWAS! Big Grin

Win! And we're cheering for the same team on that one Girly. Family friends who live down there.

Poor Packers were playing in the cold the other night NFL wise. They didn't get to cancel either. Laugh out load