Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
22-12-2016, 06:20 AM
RE: Ranting corner
And so I'm done with everything christmas related OUTSIDE the fucking house. Now I have to deal with everything inside the house. Join me as I celebrate:

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-12-2016, 12:15 PM
My father is going to drive me insane. I don't know how my mother puts up with him post-retirement. Keeps shouting things to be annoying, like "PEE PEE POTTY" whenever he goes to the bathroom, just because he knows it grates on both of us. Keeps bragging he has me to do his chores for him, which is bullshit, because my mother does everything because he claims his back is too bad. Now he shakes his cane that he's taken to using at everything to point at it, and while we were wrapping presents, gave me the third degree on how I'm 30 years old and single. Facepalm Speaking of wrapping, mom and I took a good 3 hours last night to wrap carefully and make things look good and had a great time. Dad and I today wrapped roughly the same amount of presents, and he took pride in doing it as fast and sloppy as possible, absolutely no pride in his work, or care for those who are getting them, and it took about an hour. I spent a half hour trying to patch a few gifts where he tore the paper while wrapping. Also he keeps bragging about how he leaves his games running on the computer and how the computer is his, and how it makes her angry she can't check her email when he takes a nap and leaves things that way. Speaking of that, I checked his Steam. Beyond Earth he has 848 hours on it (or 35.8 days) and on Civilization 5 he has 3814 hours, or 158.9 days of playtime.

(21-12-2016 12:59 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  One hundred fifty fuckin four dollars. Angry Just to make my plumbing right. Thank fuck I got a bad ass shop vac to suck up all the water. Prolly have to cut all that carpet out when I get a chance.
Pipes burst. Oh but Guley you're supposed to leave a little trickle on the taps in cold weather.
Fuck off! Dodgy I did!! The pipes that burst were part of an ancient heating system... steam I guess? Hobo ... that syphoned water off the old boiler that this house used to use to heat rooms, and water, before I replaced that with a newer system that uses the same ducts as my A/C to blow heated air. The plumber I had over last time assured me the pipes that used to be fed from the old boiler were not being fed by the new, normal, cylindrical water heater, AND many times more importantly, those pipes were empty. Oh no they weren't, dickhead Angry !!1!!
It's been down around 0 degrees F for several days, and the first day it warmed back up above 32... BOOM!

Consider
Can you sue a plumber who lied to you if it results in a catastrophic fail? Or should I just shift it into low, and roll my rear truck tire back-n-forth over his head? AngryAngryAngryAngry

Holy shit. Hug

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-12-2016, 12:28 PM
(22-12-2016 12:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  My father is going to drive me insane. I don't know how my mother puts up with him post-retirement. Keeps shouting things to be annoying, like "PEE PEE POTTY" whenever he goes to the bathroom, just because he knows it grates on both of us. Keeps bragging he has me to do his chores for him, which is bullshit, because my mother does everything because he claims his back is too bad. Now he shakes his cane that he's taken to using at everything to point at it, and while we were wrapping presents, gave me the third degree on how I'm 30 years old and single. Facepalm Speaking of wrapping, mom and I took a good 3 hours last night to wrap carefully and make things look good and had a great time. Dad and I today wrapped roughly the same amount of presents, and he took pride in doing it as fast and sloppy as possible, absolutely no pride in his work, or care for those who are getting them, and it took about an hour. I spent a half hour trying to patch a few gifts where he tore the paper while wrapping. Also he keeps bragging about how he leaves his games running on the computer and how the computer is his, and how it makes her angry she can't check her email when he takes a nap and leaves things that way. Speaking of that, I checked his Steam. Beyond Earth he has 848 hours on it (or 35.8 days) and on Civilization 5 he has 3814 hours, or 158.9 days of playtime.

One of my aunt Rhonda's favorite sayings - Families are dangerous places. Undecided

Grit your teeth and know that you will be leaving in a few days...for your mom's sake. Or, call him out on being a first class ass.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-12-2016, 12:51 PM
(22-12-2016 12:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 12:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  My father is going to drive me insane. I don't know how my mother puts up with him post-retirement. Keeps shouting things to be annoying, like "PEE PEE POTTY" whenever he goes to the bathroom, just because he knows it grates on both of us. Keeps bragging he has me to do his chores for him, which is bullshit, because my mother does everything because he claims his back is too bad. Now he shakes his cane that he's taken to using at everything to point at it, and while we were wrapping presents, gave me the third degree on how I'm 30 years old and single. Facepalm Speaking of wrapping, mom and I took a good 3 hours last night to wrap carefully and make things look good and had a great time. Dad and I today wrapped roughly the same amount of presents, and he took pride in doing it as fast and sloppy as possible, absolutely no pride in his work, or care for those who are getting them, and it took about an hour. I spent a half hour trying to patch a few gifts where he tore the paper while wrapping. Also he keeps bragging about how he leaves his games running on the computer and how the computer is his, and how it makes her angry she can't check her email when he takes a nap and leaves things that way. Speaking of that, I checked his Steam. Beyond Earth he has 848 hours on it (or 35.8 days) and on Civilization 5 he has 3814 hours, or 158.9 days of playtime.

One of my aunt Rhonda's favorite sayings - Families are dangerous places. Undecided

Grit your teeth and know that you will be leaving in a few days...for your mom's sake. Or, call him out on being a first class ass.

Oh no, calling him out would do nothing but cause more drama. Gritting my teeth and bearing it for mom's sake oh and he makes comments about how he can't understand why we'd scratch each others backs, that scratching another person is like something you'd do for a dog.. Though she pointed out I'm probably looking forward to 3 days in PA next week with a friend to prep for his wedding. And amen to family being a dangerous place emotionally...been looking forward to being able to see everyone again for over a month, and now he's reminding me part of why I'm so far away. Thanks so much for the support though! Smile

22-12-2016, 01:05 PM
(22-12-2016 12:51 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 12:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  One of my aunt Rhonda's favorite sayings - Families are dangerous places. Undecided

Oh no, calling him out would do nothing but cause more drama. Gritting my teeth and bearing it for mom's sake oh and he makes comments about how he can't understand why we'd scratch each others backs, that scratching another person is like something you'd do for a dog.. Though she pointed out I'm probably looking forward to 3 days in PA next week with a friend to prep for his wedding. And amen to family being a dangerous place emotionally...been looking forward to being able to see everyone again for over a month, and now he's reminding me part of why I'm so far away. Thanks so much for the support though! Smile
I sure understand that.

My sister and I were reminiscing today about the fun times when mom would get good and drunk on Christmas Eve. Dad would get tired of her snarky remarks and retreat to the family room in the basement. After a bit mom would decide she needed to pick at him some more and would head down the very steep stairs. There were a few years in a row where our Christmas tradition was mom falling down the basement stairs...good times. Dodgy

And some people wonder why I don't drink or spend time with her any more.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
22-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Good Lord, I'm sorry about that Sad It sounds awful! No one in the immediate family drinks here for similar reasons, both mom and dad had relatives who were drunks who got that way. (And I don't like the taste of alcohol.)

Can't blame you for not spending time with her unless you have to, after Christmas after Christmas of that.

22-12-2016, 01:20 PM
(22-12-2016 12:51 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(22-12-2016 12:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  One of my aunt Rhonda's favorite sayings - Families are dangerous places. Undecided

I'd be having fun at his expense, making limp-noodle jokes the whole time... good that you're nicer than I am.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
22-12-2016, 02:18 PM
(22-12-2016 01:17 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Good Lord, I'm sorry about that Sad It sounds awful! No one in the immediate family drinks here for similar reasons, both mom and dad had relatives who were drunks who got that way. (And I don't like the taste of alcohol.)

Can't blame you for not spending time with her unless you have to, after Christmas after Christmas of that.

My x-mas time routine was like this (for almost 2 decades):

24th:
Go to grandmas place, along with my dad who is a heavy drinker (he grew up in soviet russia Rolleyes ) but not alcoholic, he purposely kept himself all his life just short of alcoholism, nevertheless he is psychically dependant and ruined my parents marriange with it, but thats OT) to meet grandma and her second husband, a heavy alcoholic (who ironically later died of cancer instead of his alcoholism and is barely 15y older than my dad). There we meet my dads half sister, my half-aunt, who is again 10y younger than dad, but also a heavy alcoholic. She hates her dad, and my dad hates her, because she is lesbian. Basically, everyone hates everyone else and everyone is alcoholic. Was always lots of fun for little Deesse. Gasp

31st:
Go to grandmas place again Weeping , its her b-day Rolleyes and stay there late, and meet auntie again Facepalm , because aunties b-day is the 1st of January . Shocking

Shortly before 2006 or so (cant remember exactly), step grandad was already gone and grandma in her mid 90s (she died 1-2 years later), i was sitting there as well. Grandma was already suffering from dementia, and auntie "took care of her" and lived in the house. Yet, aunties "care" was pretty rough most of the time. Particularly when she was drunk (which was, because alcoholism, pretty common) she started to verbally abuse grandma, shouting at her, having no patience or respect for her age, this kinda, sorta stuff.
Well, we had the usual routine, auntie getting wasted again, and it wasnt even 6pm. Dad arrived too with his then gf. As time went on this day, i somehow couldnt take aunties abuse of my grandmother anymore. While she was raging drunk shouting at grandma who was in tears again, i calmly, very calmly spoke up and told her fact-of-the matter-style: "If you dont shut the fuck up now, and show some good manners towards your mom, then i will teach you manners, because grandmas education didnt seem to work on you. Your choice." Drinking Beverage
Auntie was visibly pissed and mumbled someting, before she took her glass and went upstairs, while dad and everybody else was staring at me in disbelief, while i kept munching my piece of b-day cake. Was my best family meeting i ever had. Dodgy

Needless to say, there is no better x-mas for me than being all on my own and having simply no trouble at all. Dont need presents, dont need turkey, just no trouble at all. Its all relative, E=mc2

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
22-12-2016, 04:27 PM
(21-12-2016 01:20 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  Damn skippy. If someone calls me for a plumbing job, it's $100 service-call, cash up front. We can negotiate the rest to be paid later if need be, but if you don't put the service call in my hand in advance, I won't even cross your threshold. It only takes being stiffed once or twice after digging in someone else's shit and you'll implement the same policy, I promise.

How much you charge to redo a job you yourself botched? Dodgy

(21-12-2016 01:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  $154 for busted pipes? That would be like $1540 around here for a dude without a license.

The pipes leading to all my sinks, showers, toilets, and faucets, are fine. The pipes that burst were supposed to have been drained of water, and been capped off, never to see the light of day, again, much like the chimney this house sports that hasn't seen smoke in a thousand years. But the guy I payed to make that happen didn't do it, or didn't do it right. Not only were those pipes still full, but also still connected to the rest of my plumbing. The boiler that once heated them is gone, so they never pulled hot water away from the new water heater, but I couldn't find the right valve (which could be where the last plumber went wrong) that would shut off those pipes from the whole. Fuckin room under my stairs looks like a friggin U-boat control room, so I had to shut off water to everything till we could figure out where, what, why, and when. Facepalm

But it's done, mostly, now. Shopvacuumed all the water out of the den, and out of the Enigma Machine control room right underneath it. I was set to not have to do a gawdam thing till after new years, but NOOooOOOooOO!!1! Angry

Venting Complete Drinking Beverage
I'm over it, tho. The carpet in the den smelled like rotting jungle! No, really. Hobo

22-12-2016, 04:50 PM
So I'm at work and I'm working security by the lift and this old lady comes up to me and asks if I can ride down the lift with her and that she had a bad experience with a lift a few years back where she got stuck in one for 2 hours and so now she's scared to go down them alone. Which is fair enough. As soon as she told me, without thinking, I said "oh we just had someone stuck in this lift like a week ago" as we were getting onto the lift. As soon as I said it, instant regret.

On the up side as she was getting off she said she's "tried to pray the fear away but God hasn't answered, and [she's] Christian so you'd think it would have worked."
Had to stop myself from laughing at that.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post