• 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
12-01-2017, 11:36 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(12-01-2017 10:52 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 10:40 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Hmmm Consider

Here's what I see...

[Image: tumblr_m7wcj6rX8d1rx24qso2_500.gif]

The feels.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
13-01-2017, 10:08 AM
Students have said that the bookstore has been price gouging for stuff over Winter session, knowing they have no alternative if they're staying on campus without cars. While I believed them, I realized just how bad it was when I needed something for a splitting headache and just paid $8.00 for 24 tablets of Aleve. For comparison, it's about $3.50 at Wal-Mart.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
14-01-2017, 12:12 PM
Frozen trees blowing in the wind make scary cracking sounds. Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-01-2017, 12:22 PM
(13-01-2017 10:08 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Students have said that the bookstore has been price gouging for stuff over Winter session, knowing they have no alternative if they're staying on campus without cars. While I believed them, I realized just how bad it was when I needed something for a splitting headache and just paid $8.00 for 24 tablets of Aleve. For comparison, it's about $3.50 at Wal-Mart.

College bookstores are awful places to shop on most items. Textbooks are a prime example...I got whatever I could on Amazon marketplace but so many books are 'new' every year (read - has one extra chapter) that you can't get the exact book the instructor wants without paying through the nose. And then the resale value is pennies on the dollar...made even more frustrating if you seldom even use the damn book.

I sort of understand the higher prices on things like Aleve since they aren't buying the volume that a place like Walmart is. It's like shopping at a convenience store. The OTC remedy I use, I can buy a box of 50 at most stores for about seven bucks but at a convenience store it will cost four dollars for six.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
14-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Thinking I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today, but...KLOVE kinda made me cranky, talking about a woman whose mother is 108 and in assisted living, and the facility no longer accepted Medicare, so she turned to GoFundMe and after raising the money said, "God can work through GoFundMe!" While I don't necessarily disagree, I doubt all those people just donated because they were told to by the Creator of everything. Plus the extra money was donated to the church the mother had belonged to for her entire life...which is a bit...skeevey? Like with TBR's lawsuit, we know that if they don't use the full amount, the remainder will go to Camp Quest. The way KLOVE reported the story, I don't feel like the church donation was mentioned to those donating.

Also on KLOVE; I hate their "news" now, because it's entirely 100% clickbait in radio form, "Winter weather is over, or is it? Go to KLOVE.com for more details". (Found it, just...yep it's cold.) or "What would you do if your Bible was taken away at work? Go to KLOVE.com to find out what this man did." (Couldn't find it, their news section is basically a search feature if not in the top few stories that are trending.) or "What the students at Passion 2017 did was amazing the other night. Go to KLOVE.com to find out what they did that conference leaders said had to be a movement by God!" (It was an external link on their site to Christianity Today, because 50,000 people decided to help sponsor 7,000 kids in developing nations.)

(14-01-2017 12:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-01-2017 10:08 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Students have said that the bookstore has been price gouging for stuff over Winter session, knowing they have no alternative if they're staying on campus without cars. While I believed them, I realized just how bad it was when I needed something for a splitting headache and just paid $8.00 for 24 tablets of Aleve. For comparison, it's about $3.50 at Wal-Mart.

College bookstores are awful places to shop on most items. Textbooks are a prime example...I got whatever I could on Amazon marketplace but so many books are 'new' every year (read - has one extra chapter) that you can't get the exact book the instructor wants without paying through the nose. And then the resale value is pennies on the dollar...made even more frustrating if you seldom even use the damn book.

I sort of understand the higher prices on things like Aleve since they aren't buying the volume that a place like Walmart is. It's like shopping at a convenience store. The OTC remedy I use, I can buy a box of 50 at most stores for about seven bucks but at a convenience store it will cost four dollars for six.

A good point. I should've mentioned, rather than the Wal-Mart comparison, this is still higher than their normal price on Aleve. x.x But you've got an immenently reasonable, and completely on target (and right) point on the convenience store aspect as compared to someone like Wal-Mart with the bulk buying. And textbooks...dear God...textbooks. So yeah, you did exactly what I encourage the students to do. One bought my textbook at the bookstore....$145. Everyone else rented it from Amazon...for $22. (Or $25, forget which.) Told the guy what to basically go photocopy in the library at a few cents a page and then to return it for his money back while he could still get a full refund and not like $10.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2017, 02:25 PM
I guess I now need to add mind reading to my skill set. Dodgy

The man is starting to piss me off...what am I saying? He's been pissing me off for days now.

He talks endlessly of taking older kid to do stuff (shopping -- honestly a trip to Costco might be better at this point, but a regular grocery store run wouldn't hurt I suppose, errands, and check on his mom's house -- maybe a movie later), and I'm thinking ok...That's fine. Then he's all dressed and ready to leave and says to me, are you coming? I'm staring at him with a blank look, blinking. Huh? He says.."well I said I wanted to go to shopping but I guess I can do it later..."

Facepalm

14-01-2017, 02:42 PM
And...Not a rant but not worth another thread..

What was the name of Gilda Radner's character on SNL who would complain about something find out she was wrong and end it with Nevermind.

Pretty sure it wasn't Rosanne Rosanna Ana Dana or whatever she was called...

14-01-2017, 02:58 PM
(14-01-2017 02:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And...Not a rant but not worth another thread..

What was the name of Gilda Radner's character on SNL who would complain about something find out she was wrong and end it with Nevermind.

Miss Emily Litella

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
14-01-2017, 02:59 PM
(14-01-2017 02:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 02:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And...Not a rant but not worth another thread..

Miss Emily Litella

Thank you!!!!

14-01-2017, 03:04 PM
(14-01-2017 02:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 02:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Miss Emily Litella

Thank you!!!!

Roseanne Roseannadanna was the 'It's Always Something' character.