Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
25-01-2017, 01:59 AM
RE: Ranting corner
(25-01-2017 01:58 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 01:56 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So far I've tried to plain install the newest drivers, but AMD's installation tool keeps getting stuck on 'searching for device' part. So I tried to do a hardware change scan in the device manager, no dice, it either freezes or doesn't pick up the GPU existing (despite outputting to my monitor...). When that failed, I tried reseating the GPU hoping it would pick up. It didn't. Tried using the other slot, again no dice. I tried to reset back to before all this nonsense, but apparently the restore point I set didn't get set so I'm stuck in the present as far as PC is concerned.
About the only thing I can thing of that I have not tried would be doing a hard reinstall of Win 10, which would destroy all my files, so I'd rather no if possible.

Windows 10 has a reset which lets you keep your files, idk how well it works.

Tried it, no dice

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2017, 02:03 AM
(25-01-2017 01:56 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 01:18 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  So what have you tried to fix it?

So far I've tried to plain install the newest drivers, but AMD's installation tool keeps getting stuck on 'searching for device' part. So I tried to do a hardware change scan in the device manager, no dice, it either freezes or doesn't pick up the GPU existing (despite outputting to my monitor...). When that failed, I tried reseating the GPU hoping it would pick up. It didn't. Tried using the other slot, again no dice. I tried to reset back to before all this nonsense, but apparently the restore point I set didn't get set so I'm stuck in the present as far as PC is concerned.
About the only thing I can thing of that I have not tried would be doing a hard reinstall of Win 10, which would destroy all my files, so I'd rather no if possible.

Did the card stop working randomly, or was it during a driver update or something?

When the card is seated and the PC is on, is there any indication (light? fans?) that the GPU is actually on?

Just trying to suss out if it might be a run of the mill hardware failure, like a bad capacitor.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
25-01-2017, 02:05 AM
(25-01-2017 01:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 01:58 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Windows 10 has a reset which lets you keep your files, idk how well it works.

Tried it, no dice

Is there anything listed in the Display Adapters section of the device manager?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
25-01-2017, 02:06 AM
(25-01-2017 02:05 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 01:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Tried it, no dice

Is there anything listed in the Display Adapters section of the device manager?

Just the inbuilt gear on my CPU, and "Microsoft basic display adapter"

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
25-01-2017, 02:08 AM
(25-01-2017 02:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 02:05 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Is there anything listed in the Display Adapters section of the device manager?

Just the inbuilt gear on my CPU, and "Microsoft basic display adapter"

You should be able to right click and click update then browse for files, if you can get the files for the driver you should be able to bypass the amd installer and install it manually.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
25-01-2017, 02:13 AM
(25-01-2017 02:08 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 02:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Just the inbuilt gear on my CPU, and "Microsoft basic display adapter"

You should be able to right click and click update then browse for files, if you can get the files for the driver you should be able to bypass the amd installer and install it manually.

But the gpu isn't there, I've tried to run the scan for hardware changes but it doesn't shop up

25-01-2017, 02:15 AM
(25-01-2017 02:13 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 02:08 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  You should be able to right click and click update then browse for files, if you can get the files for the driver you should be able to bypass the amd installer and install it manually.

But the gpu isn't there, I've tried to run the scan for hardware changes but it doesn't shop up

I meant try right clicking the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"

25-01-2017, 02:16 AM
(25-01-2017 02:15 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 02:13 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  But the gpu isn't there, I've tried to run the scan for hardware changes but it doesn't shop up

I meant try right clicking the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"

Okay, I'll try that once the memory test is finished

25-01-2017, 02:17 AM
(25-01-2017 02:16 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 02:15 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I meant try right clicking the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"

Okay, I'll try that once the memory test is finished

Alright

25-01-2017, 02:26 AM
(25-01-2017 02:17 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(25-01-2017 02:16 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Okay, I'll try that once the memory test is finished

Alright

That led to nothing; "MBDA" is a system32 thing, so it's not my GPU in disguise...