Ranting corner

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.5 Average
28-01-2017, 08:38 PM
RE: Ranting corner
(28-01-2017 01:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So my flatmates left this morning for the Coromandel. So I have the house all to myself for the next 5 days.

That place looks beautiful.
No wonder you stayed home.
Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
28-01-2017, 08:40 PM
(28-01-2017 08:03 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-01-2017 01:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So my flatmates left this morning for the Coromandel. So I have the house all to myself for the next 5 days.

I think your flatmates got the better end of the deal -- unless your flat has Guinness on tap, and hot and cold running blowjobs...............................

That's some seriously good looking real estate.

I got work 4/5 days so I couldn't go.
Besides, hikes through the bush to remote beaches, camping in remote towns with barely a corner dairy let alone wifi let alone decent wifi is not my idea of an awesome time. Maybe in a different country where I'm seeing new shit, not so much when it's my backyard and I've been there done that.

Plus I'm old, my idea of a great time is not being woken up at 9 in the morning to the sound of the bloody coffee machine.

[Image: oscar.png]
28-01-2017, 08:47 PM
(28-01-2017 08:38 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(28-01-2017 08:34 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Oh gotcha! Well, you all did provide a nice escape during election season from the drama over there. Tongue Plus I like the people here. I like the podcast. My own morality seems to be more based in humanism that overlaps with certain parts of my religion's holy text. Plus it's nice to hear others who think that church and state need to remain separate (for the betterment of both).

With the cultural Catholicism and such, I think that's mostly the case anywhere with a large Catholic population maybe? A friend offline didn't know what transubstantiation was, and he was an altar server for years. Plus a lot of people do look for each other in the pews. Perhaps online, at places like PM and the FB groups I'm in, it tends to be the people who are more vocal about their faith?

I have to admit that I had never heard the word 'transubstantiation' before coming here. I was raised Catholic...I went to catechism classes on Saturday morning when I was a public school student and then attended Catholic schools from sixth grade through high school graduation.

Maybe just the circles of Catholics I know? Or the internet and apologetics books being more widely available thanks to things like Amazon? One friend did remark that she felt like RCIA for adult converts was "meatier" in a way than her own Catechism classes had been. So many factors that could be at work that you have me considering now.

Funny aside on Catholic schools, my fourth grade public school teacher retired recently and began teaching at the Catholic school in the town I grew up in. He was telling my mom that he hates it, because he has to go to four classes a year that are multi-hour long about the Catholic faith, but then never uses it in the classroom. His non-Catholic colleagues who teach there, aren't required to attend the classes, only the self identified Catholics on staff have to.

Edit:
(28-01-2017 08:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-01-2017 08:17 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Why I'm in the group is because a Traditionalist 'friend' invited me. Other than that, we in theory share a God, a church, and a Pope. However most of that group thinks Pope Francis is an anti-Pope and that he's anti-Catholic.

So you don't actually share much at all. Consider

Traditionalists and I rarely do. They also think the Freemasons organized Vatican II to destroy the Church from within. And that Francis was elected by a "gay mafia" of Cardinals. Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2017, 09:03 PM
(28-01-2017 08:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(28-01-2017 08:06 PM)Anjele Wrote:  You sure like to live in opposite camps. Consider

That's the thing, I shouldn't technically be in the opposite camp in that thread. I was saying good things about the March for Life, and good things about the mainstream media coverage I saw about it. And the guy just went off on his little persecution complex, claiming about how they obviously called them "anti abortion protesters" (they didn't, the interview called them Pro-Life), and how the mainstream media was all Orwellian doublespeak right out of 1984.

Whiny little persecution complex Catholics (and generic Christians) drive me nuts. I know people who have gone to preach in countries where it was illegal to do so, and risked their lives, who do not cry about persecution, as much as some of these folks do. I knew a guy who might have faced death if his faith were discovered, but he never once spoke of being persecuted, before his death (which was not martyrdom). There are people who do, however, literally die for their faith in Christ; yet these idiots just scream persecution, even where none exists.

Many christians need to be persecuted, for many their faith requires it so when they're not being persecuted (which is pretty much all the time in the USA and UK) they invent it.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
29-01-2017, 02:14 AM
(28-01-2017 09:03 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(28-01-2017 08:15 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  That's the thing, I shouldn't technically be in the opposite camp in that thread. I was saying good things about the March for Life, and good things about the mainstream media coverage I saw about it. And the guy just went off on his little persecution complex, claiming about how they obviously called them "anti abortion protesters" (they didn't, the interview called them Pro-Life), and how the mainstream media was all Orwellian doublespeak right out of 1984.

Whiny little persecution complex Catholics (and generic Christians) drive me nuts. I know people who have gone to preach in countries where it was illegal to do so, and risked their lives, who do not cry about persecution, as much as some of these folks do. I knew a guy who might have faced death if his faith were discovered, but he never once spoke of being persecuted, before his death (which was not martyrdom). There are people who do, however, literally die for their faith in Christ; yet these idiots just scream persecution, even where none exists.

Many christians need to be persecuted, for many their faith requires it so when they're not being persecuted (which is pretty much all the time in the USA and UK) they invent it.

I think that some christians want to be able to say that they are persecuted, actual persecution wouldn't be something that they would be happy about.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
29-01-2017, 03:59 AM
(29-01-2017 02:14 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(28-01-2017 09:03 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Many christians need to be persecuted, for many their faith requires it so when they're not being persecuted (which is pretty much all the time in the USA and UK) they invent it.

I think that some christians want to be able to say that they are persecuted, actual persecution wouldn't be something that they would be happy about.
I couldn't agree more.
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
29-01-2017, 07:34 AM
Did a nice thing. I feel so dirty. I need to go out and knock some kids ice cream cone out of his hand or something.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
29-01-2017, 10:56 AM
(29-01-2017 02:14 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(28-01-2017 09:03 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Many christians need to be persecuted, for many their faith requires it so when they're not being persecuted (which is pretty much all the time in the USA and UK) they invent it.

Agreed with you both. I know folks who talk with happy grins on their faces about how they can't wait to die for Jesus, and how they surely would if placed in a situation like the apocryphal stories from Columbine. Somehow I think the reality would be quite different if they had a chance to have the option.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
29-01-2017, 10:59 AM
(29-01-2017 10:56 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(29-01-2017 02:14 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think that some christians want to be able to say that they are persecuted, actual persecution wouldn't be something that they would be happy about.

Agreed with you both. I know folks who talk with happy grins on their faces about how they can't wait to die for Jesus, and how they surely would if placed in a situation like the apocryphal stories from Columbine. Somehow I think the reality would be quite different if they had a chance to have the option.

Be careful Prof you're beginning to sound like an atheistTongue
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
29-01-2017, 11:35 AM
I'm so tired of my weekends just disappearing in a puff of fucking smoke. I may as well just work 24/7. Angry

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post